Possible failure to stop offence

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2163 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Here is the story:

I check my car daily to make sure there are no new noticeable scratches and I did it last night and there were none on my wing mirrors. After driving to work and parking on the road this morning, I pushed my passenger wing mirror in as always to prevent it being hit and noticed 2 pretty big scrapes on it.

The problem:

I have no recollection of hitting or scraping my wing mirror on anything, then it occurred to me that I may not have known if I had because I put my music quite loud when driving as it helps me focus. Then I started worrying that maybe I hit and damaged a car and then remembered reading about the offence of failing to stop. I decided to call 101 and report that I may have committed the offence and told them 3/4 locations which I drive through to get to work as it would have happened in one of those locations.

My question:

If I did hit a vehicle and it's reported to the police what are the penalties? Bearing in mind that this is my first motoring offence (other than the 1 parking ticket I have ever received as a driver), I've been driving for almost 3 years and have no other criminal offences. I've read I could get disqualified from driving, up to 10 points and a fine of up to £5,000. Is this correct?

Thank you in advance for any help.

It sounds to me as if you are worrying excessively but certainly the action you have taken by calling 101 should absolve you from any kind of criminal liability and would simply make it a civil matter and one which would be solved by an insurance claim. Do you have any record of the fact that you did telephone 101?

The "offence" is not strictly speaking, simply failing to stop at the scene.

This is covered under Section 170 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. Which says...

(2)The driver of the [mechanically propelled vehicle] must stop and, if required to do so by any person having reasonable grounds for so requiring, give his name and address and also the name and address of the owner and the identification marks of the vehicle.

(3)If for any reason the driver of the [mechanically propelled vehicle] does not give his name and address under subsection (2) above, he must report the accident.

And goes on to say...

(4)A person who fails to comply with subsection (2) or (3) above is guilty of an offence.

As you have carried out the actions as required by the RTA '88 in that you have reported a possible collision, bearing in mind that we (or you) don't even know that any collision has even taken place. You are not guilty of the offence of failing to stop (at the scene) or failing to report an accident.

If, at some point in the future, a collision (that fits with the date) is reported by A.N.Other, then the police will have your details already on file and will contact you.

However, I'd advise you to keep the incident reference number safe somewhere that you'll be able to find it in the future, for at least a few months (6 to be safe). If you haven't heard anything by then I'd say that you either haven't hit anything or whoever's vehicle you did hit haven't (or aren't) bothered or haven't even noticed.

If it was only a wing mirror that you hit for example, 95% of people would be thankful that it was only the mirror and then forget about it. And if you've only got scratches to the plastic housing of your mirror, I'd guess that even if you did hit another vehicle that it would have been a minor contact/glancing blow. Mirrors aren't exactly the sturdiest of things and a heavy contact would leave more than scratches on the body of your own mirror.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

maybe someone drove past your car and clipped it. And you didnt notice because you were away from the car

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Can't be because I park on a driveway with my passenger wing mirror on the opposite side to my neighbour's car.

Also I got in my car at home and didn't get out until I got to work.

Hitting something is the only explanation I can think of.

Can't be because I park on a driveway with my passenger wing mirror on the opposite side to my neighbour's car.

I find it worrying that you feel that you may have struck another car/object hard enough to cause damage to your own car without noticing! if you had done so it would have surely folded your wing mirror in. Also can you not recall being in such close proximity to a car/object to cause this?

I find it worrying that you feel that you may have struck another car/object hard enough to cause damage to your own car without noticing!

Though do bear in mind that the OP may not have done so. There are a multitude of reasons that *could* explain the scratches. The OP, as BF has already alluded to, is just worrying over the worst scenario.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

Though do bear in mind that the OP may not have done so. There are a multitude of reasons that *could* explain the scratches. The OP, as BF has already alluded to, is just worrying over the worst scenario.

Whilst still only one many possible answers, it does not detract from the fact that it must be possible to rule this out. The OP is in a position think back to such an impact, my original point was just that, nothing else.

Could have easily done it in a car park, or if you parked on the side of the road somewhere.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D