ESA question, advice needed

Helz85
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2188 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone;

I have a question regarding esa. My partner is currently claiming this but as we have a family and I’m unemployed a the moment it is a family element however any letters we get are only ever addressed to him etc.

I’m currently trying to look for work and have a few interviews coming up but I don’t have a proof of my national insurance, I’ve called hmrc and they are sending me a print out of my NI number - will that be enough to show them? I have nothing else which has it printed on.

Also I don’t have a p45 so I know I’d have to get one sent from the job centre when I inform them if I get a job - but would they write this in my name since the claim was in my partners?

I have all other relevant documentation required such as my passport, utility bills etc.

Hi everyone;

I have a question regarding esa. My partner is currently claiming this but as we have a family and I’m unemployed a the moment it is a family element however any letters we get are only ever addressed to him etc.

I’m currently trying to look for work and have a few interviews coming up but I don’t have a proof of my national insurance, I’ve called hmrc and they are sending me a print out of my NI number - will that be enough to show them? I have nothing else which has it printed on.

Also I don’t have a p45 so I know I’d have to get one sent from the job centre when I inform them if I get a job - but would they write this in my name since the claim was in my partners?

I have all other relevant documentation required such as my passport, utility bills etc.

If you were employed at one time, then if your employer still exists, then they can provide a copy of a P45 ?

You don't normally need to prove an NI number to a new employer. You provide identity documents such as passport, birth certificate, photo driving licence, Bank cards/statement, utility bill, council tax bill. In the absence of a P45, your new employer normally just asks you for some very basic info including your NI number. Your companies payroll then just work with HMRC via electronic means and they can produce wage slips with the correct tax/NI. Sometimes if there is an issue you can be put on emergency tax rate, but that can normally be resolved.

If you are not claiming job seekers allowance, but come under your partners ESA claim, I wonder whether ESA is paying your NI stamps for you. Presumably when you were added, they checked records showing you were living with your partner. Your partner could phone ESA to check what to do when you get a job and need to be removed from the claim. Perhaps they can explain the NI issue in regard to yourself and what document they issue when you are removed from the ESA claim.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I don’t have a p45. Would I be right in thinking I’d have to fill in a starter checklist?

So you have never worked for an employer and have never claimed a benefit in your name where DWP would issue a P45 ? If you claim benefits and your claim comes to an end, DWP issue a P45.

It is all electronic data these days anyway, so yes any new employers would run through a check list.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

So you have never worked for an employer and have never claimed a benefit in your name where DWP would issue a P45 ? If you claim benefits and your claim comes to an end, DWP issue a P45.

It is all electronic data these days anyway, so yes any new employers would run through a check list.

I did claim income support some years ago when I first became a parent but I don’t remember getting a p45 from them. It was then switched to my partners esa claim

I did claim income support some years ago when I first became a parent but I don’t remember getting a p45 from them. It was then switched to my partners esa claim

IS is different. With JSA, ESA and Universal Credit which are means tested income type benefits that pay you NI stamps for the period benefit is paid, when the benefit comes to an end, they issue a P45. The benefit they pay in a tax year counts towards your taxable income for the year. Hence why yout partner should contact ESA to ask about this.

I see. I’ve checked my hmrc account and can see I’ve had ni stamps paid for myself as I was on his claim. It was just the p45 issue that was a worry as it wasn’t my actual name claiming so don’t know how they’ll go about it when I inform them if I get one of the jobs I’ve applied for. Hopefully it’s straight forward and they can issue it in my name. I just didn’t want to complicate anything when I had an interview and put off a potential employer.

I see. I’ve checked my hmrc account and can see I’ve had ni stamps paid for myself as I was on his claim. It was just the p45 issue that was a worry as it wasn’t my actual name claiming so don’t know how they’ll go about it when I inform them if I get one of the jobs I’ve applied for. Hopefully it’s straight forward and they can issue it in my name. I just didn’t want to complicate anything when I had an interview and put off a potential employer.

It is not relevant to a new employer whether you were on benefits and who is issuing the P45 . If you are receiving an income related benefit, then DWP will issue a P45 when you get taken off the ESA claim and you supply it to the employers when you get it. Before you are employed, the employer has to check your identity and make sure you are eligible to work in the UK. That just requires the identity documents mentioned.