BT Default on my file - just start paying Lowell but they keep marking D!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2202 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm new around here! Looking for some advice regarding a debt I have with Lowell.

In 2013 I left a property I was renting, BT contacted me about a month before I left saying that the new tenants would like to take over the service and wanted to know if I was happy to do this.

As I was moving to a shared house, I couldn't take the service with me and agreed. A few months later, I got a bill for £599 from BT for the rest of the service that I had cancelled early. After a few phone calls where they continued to ask me to pay the bill I sent them a letter stating the above information and that I didn't want to pay.

After this, I didn't hear anything about it and presumed that they had wiped it. Then around a year ago, I started receiving letters from Lowell saying that they have taken over the debt from BT and need to collect.

I ignored the letters for a few months, until they started putting defaults on my credit file. As soon as this started, I contacted them and set up a payment plan as I was unable to pay the full amount.

I have been paying a nominal amount for the past 6 months but Lowell continue to put a default on my credit file. I called them to ask why, as I am making payments.

I can't remember the exact wording, but it was something along the lines of because it is not an active debt like a credit card they are able to default me every month until the debt is paid in full. Are they allowed to do this? I'm only paying a small amount on the debt, it could take a long time to clear, meanwhile my credit rating is dropping all the time.

Edited by fkofilee
Spacing Added

Hi Ollie

Welcome to CAG :)

Lowell are being a little active with the truth...

Can i point you in the direction of our CRA Guide

Trust me - Have a read and all will become clear :)

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Never ring a DCA they are not bailiff s and have zero legal powers

If you have a defaulted date on your credit file

The account will go on the defaults 6th birthday

Paying or not paid or not

Shame you start paying ghem!!

You've just reset the statute barred clock

Be Lowell cheered when you did that!

The debt will be the remains months till end of contract

But of course you were not using it and by weren't providing any service to you!!

The authorities like the DAD are don't on record as saying it's unfair to charge these months

Stop paying them now!

Have you written to Lowell with your new adddess?

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...