style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2170 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

How would i go about finding out if a landlord (housing association) is liable by law/regulations or contract to perform certain repairs/modifications on the property?

I have a few issues that i would love to get remedied but have little luck getting them looked at seriously. One being a very common problem for all the flats i know in my block is that people upstairs simply walking quietly across the floor causes all kinds of very loud creaks and bangs. Very disturbing if your underneath even with tv or music on and ive seen how unavoidable it is from the other side too walking on such floors when visiting neighbours. I had a lot of trouble with a noisy neighbour years ago which culminated in noise equipment and so on being installed which picked up this noise (on top of the fights) but my landlords refused to even listen to the recordings offered by the local council.

Secondly i live in my 2nd bedroom which is very small. Since they moved the boiler out of the large cupboard and into the bedroom (there was a CO leak from the waste gas pipe) and boxed in underneath it as well as boxing in pipes running along the floor the room has become massively unusable as a bedroom. Placement of door, window, radiator and said boxing making any kind of half sensible arranging of a simple bed and wardrobe very oddly laid out. i would like ideally to have the pipes running across the top of the wall rather than bottom.

Lastly the flat has no drying facilities. No outside washing lines, no front/back garden or balcony. it had a simple line that crossed the bath at one point (it was crap and never used as someone was always wanting to shower or bath) but that was made unusable some months ago when they had to replace the shower and its now in the way.

Just wondered how i would go about checking up on building regulations or similar to see if i can force a remedy on any of these problems. Previous experience has taught me they wont do bugger all until they have to.

Thanks.

Hi

On the flooring issue causing noise you need to look at your Tenancy Agreement as mine does with a HA it specifically states

the types of flooring suitable and if you wish to fit Laminate you need their permission.

Do they have Laminate flooring fitted and if they needed permission as per above were they given it.

You state you use the 2nd bedroom is there a reason for not using the 1st bedroom?

When they were installing the new boiler and piping did you raise these issues?

Your issue with the old drying facilities and the shower being replaced have your raised these issue?

(as for the old drying facility it doesn't happen to be 2 massive ring hinges coming down from the ceiling at seperate ends)

Have you either Reported these as Repairs or made a Formal Complaint to the HA about these issue.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Sorry for the slow followup and thank you for the reply's. Replies in no particular order...

The upstairs neighbour have carpeting as does nearly everybody (no laminate/wooden flooring allowed is in our contracts, i have an additional question about this in fact) im not sure of the makeup of the flooring but it sounds like there are several layers that are not correctly married. i have witnessed the noise/squeaking in a few neighbouring flats and there are literally places they cannot stand when using their flat late at night for fear of ****ing off the neighbour below.

Im in my 2nd bedroom as i have a lodger who has the bigger room. Makes more sense to me as they generally have all their belongings in one room whereas mine are spread over the flat so i dont need much in a bedroom.

Building was constructed around 2002 i believe.

When the boiler was installed i didn't raise the issue for a long long time as the room didn't really have a use other than somewhere to put clothes airers when needed.

Ive not made any formal complaints. Once i have and they fall on deaf ears who would i then contact? thats really the big answer im looking for, as ive half arsed complains in the past but not really put up any kind of fight on any issues.

With regards to contracts and not being allowed to lay laminate or wooden flooring. My original contract (possibly 10+ years old and from the company predating my current housing association) states that only ground floor properties like my own can have laminate. Over the phone they have told me that laminate/wooden flooring is banned completely now. Ive never signed any new contracts since my initial one so i wondered which stands; my old contract or their newest policies/contracts? im currently planning to lay carpet or laminate in the flat and am undecided on which. If i cant lay laminate because of the contract then the decision is made for me :)

Thanks for reading.

Hi

Now your Lodger I do hope you got written permission from the Housing Association before doing this.

If you have not made a complaint yet about this what you need to do is follow the Housing Associations

Complaints Procedure and you must fully exhaust this before you can go to the Housing Ombudsman.

Housing Ombudsman: http://www.housing-ombudsman.org.uk/

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

ok superb, sounds like a plan. Im pretty sure they didnt send any sort of confirmation to me about a lodger but they were contacted beforehand and just asked for his name and dob and that i was certain of his citizenship. they said i could have upto 4 lodgers before they would be worried!