DVLA Fine for Unlicensed Vehicle I had sold.

thetroublemaker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2180 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there.

I have recently had a letter from the HM Courts Historic Debt team about a fine in 2014 that was for £930!!!!

I called the Magistrates court today about this having read about statutory declarations etc and found out a bit more about the case.

The offence was that i had used a car on the 16th September 2013 without tax on the A5 through milton keynes.

I bought the car in November 2011 and sold it in April 2012, shortly before moving to a new house.

Luckily I have a photocopy of the receipt myself and the buyer signed when she took the car, so I am confident that in the case of driving the unlicensed vehicle I have proof it was not mine.

However my concern is that will the DVLA automatically come at me with a failure to notify charge.

I have been involved in assisting a friend with one of these charges a long time ago and am aware that I fulfilled my obligations under the interpretations act 1978 by posting this. Can they do that there and then at court, enter a new charge, or would they need to separately summons me for that.

Likewise should i prepare a defence for that possible charge anyway or should I ignore that as even being an issue until it is mentioned.

I am preparing a covering letter to the DVLA/Court explaining the above (that I had sold the car, and sent off the V5 before moving out of the rented property, and I had never heard any more on this until Saturday when the letter dropped through my letterbox from the Historic Debt team.

All advice would be appreciated :) Thankyou