Insects in the clothes in a Sports Direct store

pugilist
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2176 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good evening everyone!

A friend of mine has just contacted me and told me a story of how she had just visited a Sports Direct store in East Ham, London. She was just looking around there in search of some clothes and when she tried to take a shirt from the hanger, huge insects started falling out of its folds. She began recording this with her smart phone camera and asked the manager to comment the situation. But the manager just told her to stop recording and "get out of the shop!" :shock:

So she is not going to try and contact Sport Directs anymore and want to proceed with complaint straight to appropriate authorities. Please advise where should she write the complaint and how should she use that video as the evidence.

Thank you in advance!

You can put the video up here as well.

Oh, she will put it on youtube for sure, but she wants the shop administration to be brought to responsibility for their actions. That was an obvious violation of the law:

1) the cockroaches, bugs or whatever they were inside the clothes

2) the actions of the manager

Should she just sit and wait how ordinary people watch it on youtube? May be better to report it to the local council?

You can put the video up here as well.

Thank you. Which way is better: 1) upload it on youtube and put the link here

or

2) upload the video on some cloud storage and then jput the link here for people to be able to download it and watch.

NB

she is still on her way home to west london, so i think i'll be able to post the video here tonight

Not necessarily.

We would need to see the vid 1st.

Actions of the manager, although not very customer orientated, are within the stores rights.

She will give me the video later, she is still on her way home to west london, where she lives.

Are the stores rights are above the main law of the UK?

As far as i understand people have the right to record on video anything happening in public places.

The shop is a public place.

insects inside the clothes are are breach of health and safety rules, aren't they?

Unhygienic state of the stores is an offence isn't it?

Preventing people from filming an offence in a public place is unlawfull, isn't it?

Technically, all of Britain is owned by somebody.

Owners may be private individuals, companies, organisations or the Queen (e.g. a "public park" is probably owned by the local town council.)

Any of those landlords can, and often will, impose limits on photography or film making as they wish.

Mostly these landlords will not restrict non-commercial photography, but commercial work often requires permission and sometimes payment.

A licence or permit may be required if you are filming an event where the organisers’ and/or the owner’s permission is needed.

In practice, taking pictures from the public highway or many places generally accessible to the public is unlikely to be challenged.

Council owned parks and buildings, transport stations, church property, shopping malls, theatres, stadiums and the like usually do enforce restrictions.

Filming on public transport is the same as on private land; you do need the owners’ or operators’ consent.

So you've proven my point and answered your own question

well, the main thing was not if a shop was a private place or not really.. wasn't it?)

the main thing is that the shop staff had no right to prevent people from recording an offence and had no right to demand them to delete the files from the smart phone.

Well, in that case they can even ask me to kill myself on the spot, but it is my right to refuse to do so.

It is not their right to refuse to sell me anything for any reason. It would be violation of my consumer rights, as well as forcing me to leave.

You've got it all back to front.

They can refuse to sell you anything and everything they have on offer.

It is not a violation of your consumer rights. They dont want to form a contract with you and that's there right.

Also they can force you to leave. You can be banned for any reason they like as long as its within the law.

You need to do some research on this.

It looks like you don't understand how the law works. Of course they can't refuse to sell me anything and everything they have on offer. The law imposes strict limits on them.

It is violation. You don't understand what public offer contract means.

They can't force me to leave if they want to act by the law. I can't be banned for any reason they like, because the law strictly limits such sorts of reasons.

Where did you do your researches on this?

sigh. Freeman nonsense again. I bet the original event never actually happened.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

It looks like you don't understand how the law works. Of course they can't refuse to sell me anything and everything they have on offer. The law imposes strict limits on them.

It is violation. You don't understand what public offer contract means.

They can't force me to leave if they want to act by the law. I can't be banned for any reason they like, because the law strictly limits such sorts of reasons.

Where did you do your researches on this?

It is in no way a belief, it is a fact.

I knew you wouldn't be able to disprove my words

Oh dear.

You are wrong.

A) The store is a public place in so far as it is a place the public may enter. It is also private property. The store allow an implied licence for the public to enter (so permission is implied for anyone to enter), but this has limitations : for example store opening hours. In the same way as they can set hours on which the public are allowed to enter, or mark areas “staff only”, they can rescind the implied invitation to enter, and ask anyone to leave, at any time, for whatever reason.

B) They don’t have to serve you / sell you anything. Having products on the shelves, with prices on display ; is only an “invitation to treat”, not an offer you can accept. It invites you to make such an offer, which they don’t have to accept.

The Court of Appeal determined this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharmaceutical_Society_of_GB_v_Boots_Cash_Chemists_(Southern)_Ltd

sgtbush, it looks like you are right..

BazzaS, thank you for the answer.

sigh. Freeman nonsense again. I bet the original event never actually happened.

The event was actually recorded on video. The thing is that I still haven't got the video or the link. She didn't have time yesterday to put it on youtube with a brief description. But she will definetely give it to me, and I will share it here.

well, for some reason the link can't be seen.. that is weird. well, anyway, if you just type into youtube search box the name of the video, you will be able to find it and watch it:

Cockroaches in Sports Direct East Ham 2018

Which could have fallen out of anything near the clothes

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D