Not charged for Gas

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2183 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, asking for some advice on behalf of a family member.

She moved into a council flat 6 years ago and has never paid for her gas.

It is a pre paid meter setup, the meter is turning (quite fast) but the screen is blank. I

She has been given annual safety inspections by the council but nothing has been said and also received a yearly cold weather voucher from British gas!

I asked why she has never mentioned it and she said after she left it for a year she was scared of getting a massive bill, silly really as she now probably faces a much much bigger one. But anyway that is the situation at present.

Does anyone know what is going on and why she isn't having to top up the meter?

Also what is she likely to have to repay, from looking online it seems they can charge back 6 years?

Thanks for reading

Sounds like a faulty meter. If she is a council tenant, probably best to contact the council and just say that the meter appears faulty i.e blank screen and meter turning fast when little gas is being used.

Best to not admit not paying for gas and be vague if answering any questions. Let the council or British Gas work out that gas has not been paid for. I would guess that BG would check the meter number against money paid for the supply, but your friend might be lucky and not be asked for any back payment. In theory, yes BG could ask for estimated annual usage going back 6 years, on the basis that your friend knew they were not paying for their gas usage.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Is the meter making a loud twirling noise

If so it's the gas tap that's got stuck open

Bgas should still be sending quarterly statements/bills of usage

If they have not been

Then as it's their faulty meter

Under the back billing rule

They can only get 1 yrs estimated cost back

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi thanks for the replies. No it is not making any noise. Also not received any statements etc. from british gas, only the £15 payment every winter?!

I also think back billing only applies if you highlight the problem? not if say they come to read the meter and find you arent paying.

I asked what she would do if this happened and she said she would just say she topped it up £20 a week but didn't know what she was using as the display isn't working. I don't think they would believe this though and surely they could check if it's been topped up?

Back billing should work if it's faulty nothing you need to do to invoke it no

Is it the brown type with a gas card to top up with?

And the oval red button

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes that's the type. However on the ofgem site it states this with regards to back billing

'It may not apply if you:

Have been using the gas or electricity supply but have made no attempt to contact the supplier to arrange payment. This includes moving into a property and making no attempt to let a supplier know you are the new tenant or homeowner

Have wilfully avoided payment

Have not co-operated with attempts to obtain meter readings or resolve queries requested by the supplier. This includes failing to allow access to the property or failing to respond to requests for meter details or meter readings.'

Which doesn't look good for her.

I also think the back billing rule may not apply.

Which is why I suggested checking with council, as the house is a council property.

They may be interested in ruling out any safety issue first and arranging a quicker fix.

Perhaps if your friend plays ignorant, British Gas may never get around to checking the history of the meter.

They may simply fix it or install a new one and your friend can then pay for future usage.

Edited by dx100uk

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Those meters run on batteries they need changing every 2 years!!

It's bgas that should be doing that and they have failed

There will be no data for them to read so ...They won't know if she's paid or not

and they

That sounds more promising than facing a 6 year bill.

Is there no other way for them to check when it failed then?

like i say the meter hasn't been read in 6 years and the only people who have been are the councils contractor who does an annual inspection but obviously doesn't look too much into the meter.

they'll be no data for them to check

its BGAS property nothing to with the council

and they

Thanks, ( i know this is a bit naughty) she could just say 'oh i top it up £200 every 3 months, i didn't notice the display had gone blank etc'. and they have no way of proving otherwise?

I don't think you need to say anything

just phone up Bgas tell them the display has gone

might not be a bad idea and ask if they can change it back to normal one as it was obv fitted went a previous tenant had debt.

and they