style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2182 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does anyone know offhand what the situation is with insurance if you use house/pet sitters for an extended period away from home? These wouldn't be tenants - no rent but there would be meter readings and they would pay the home owner for utilities.

If they are professionals they should have their own insurance ?

https://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/insurance/house-sitting/

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Not professionals so own insurance isn’t applicable. It’s a far less formal arrangement I’m considering in order to avoid becoming an accidental landlord but save a house from sitting empty while I make a decision about what to do in the longer term. The proposed sitters are family of friends, returning from living abroad. They could do with few months to settle back here and I could do with the house being occupied.

Hi

The first thing I would say even if it is friends you need to have some sort of written agreement in place to protect yourself.

(what if they refuse to move out of the property at a date you ask?).

As they may be there a few months who will pay the Utilities & Council Tax for the property?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

There would be an agreement, my solicitor has shown me an example. Apparently it isn’t as unusual an arrangement as I thought. States who pays for what and how, gives an agreed end date and importantly makes it very clear it isn’t a tenancy.

Tell your Insurers, it is likely they will remove any extended accidental damage

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

Depends on the Insurers as to whether they are happy to continue cover or not. Some Insurers might say they cannot continue the cover, as the house is no longer the same risk, as they Insured at the beginning.

You might be faced with having to take out landlord type Insurance, even if there is no shorthold tenancy agreement. The Insurance will still cover all of the same basic perils, but more suited to the property not being lived in by the owner.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread