• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Employer closing down the shop my wife works at

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2192 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife has been employed by the local pub owner who took on the lease of the village shop three years ago. My wife was employed from the outset to work in the shop.

Since day one she has consistently worked over 28 hours a week at a rate above the NMW. She has been paying tax, NI, pension etc and has received holiday pay. However, she was never given a contract of employment.

The pub owner has now bought the land that the shop is on, and plans to demolish it and build houses on the land, meaning the shop will close. He is however going to open a small "shop" within the pub to sell essentials such as milk, papers, cigarettes etc.

The boss has told the staff nothing more than "I am closing the shop at the end of April and you won't have a job anymore", however he has failed to put anything in writing at all.

I have several questions which I hope someone can answer

1) The boss is suggesting that as he never agreed in writing to a set number of hours a week, the position was one of a "zero hours contract". However my wife has worked 28+ hours every week since she started. Am I right in assuming that the 28+ hours a week, in the absence of a contract are implied terms and those are the terms are legally binding.

2) Until as such time as he informs my wife in writing that he plans to close the store and her position is redundant, then legally she is still employed on the terms that she's worked to for the last 3 years.

3) Even without a contract of employment, my wife is still entitled to written notice of redundancy. How much notice is she entitled to, and should the shop close before that notice period expires, he then would still have to pay her in lieu of notice.

4) Unless he puts it in writing that the position is redundant, then is he legally obliged to pay her for the hours she would have been working for had he not closed the shop.

Any advice and answers to the questions above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I'm not able to give you the answers you need but I expect that somebody who is able will be along later on today or tomorrow.

However I'm quite sure that one thing that your wife could usefully do would be to make sure that she has got a complete file which shows the amount of money that she has earned/how she has worked over the three years.

Also, he is obliged by law to provide her with a "statement of terms" at the outset of the employment and if he hasn't done that then already he is giving you an advantage.

Make sure that your wife assembles this file and also start keeping a detailed log of everything that happens in respect of this matter. She should keep the log off site.

I'm not able to give you the answers you need but I expect that somebody who is able will be along later on today or tomorrow.

However I'm quite sure that one thing that your wife could usefully do would be to make sure that she has got a complete file which shows the amount of money that she has earned/how she has worked over the three years.

Also, he is obliged by law to provide her with a "statement of terms" at the outset of the employment and if he hasn't done that then already he is giving you an advantage.

Make sure that your wife assembles this file and also start keeping a detailed log of everything that happens in respect of this matter. She should keep the log off site.

My wife has regular payslips, and the payments are made into her bank account so she is easily able to prove the number of hours she has worked since she started there.

You are broadly correct in your assertions

A Zero Hours Contract does not absolve the employer of the usual obligations and having worked there for more than two years your wife enjoys proper employment rights. Unless the employer plans to continue her employment at the replacement shop or in some other suitable equivalent role, then your wife's position will become redundant. Having worked there for three years, she would be entitled to proper consultation and if no alternative is available to the appropriate notice and at least the Statutory redundancy payment. In the absence of formalised hours, then the previous 12 weeks should be used to arrive at the correct averaged hours when calculating entitlements. If a full three years has been worked at the date of termination then (at least) three weeks notice should be provided. If this is not handled correctly then your wife would have grounds for Tribunal action

The one cloud here is that if the employer does deem the arrangement to be a ZHC then he might start to reduce the number of hours that your wife works prior to the closure in order to reduce the potential redundancy payment. This may depend on how clued up he is on the legal situation, but again, there may ultimately need to be a fight this on the basis of a flawed redundancy consultation and that may also be the time to pursue the matter (that Bankfodder has outlined) of the failure to provide a statement of terms at the outset of the arrangement. Such an action cannot be brought on it's own but it would sit alongside any potential unfair dismissal case and could potentially increase any award

I also agree about keeping detailed records of what happened and when, what was said by whom and who may have witnessed any discussions. It may be invaluable in the event of legal action as it certainly sounds as though the employer is either ignorant of basic employment law, or is choosing to try and work around his obligations

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

as you stae, there is a contract even though it is not in writing. The employer isnt going to tell a tribunal that he isnt going to pay out a redundancy because he has continuously broken the law and will continue to do so!

he cant claim that it is a zero hours contract because that isnt in writing so he would damage his arguments even further by going down that road.

So, let us assume that his verbal statemtn of shutting the shop down at the end of April is correct then this is the notice period (even though it isnt in writing) He should then calculate the redundancy based on contracted or average hours worked before he uttered this statement and then pay redundancy at the calculated rate ( lets say 3 weeks pay @ 28 hrs/wk) and holiday pay. As there is no contract that states the contrary we can assume that the holiday year start on the 1st Jan so she will be owed 1/3 of her 25 days (pro rata) annual leave pay less any holiday pay already received for the easter bank holiday.

Once you have worked this out then it is best to put this in writing saying this is what is expected and if he says that she should just go away now that is a further breach of employment law and will be entitled to another fortnight's pay. I cant see the employer being proactive on this so get your figures down an put it to him in writing. He would be silly to stamp his feet over this

Edited by honeybee13
Paras

• 2 weeks later...

update -

We sent the boss a strongly worded letter telling him that basically he has to pay redundancy money and that he must give adequate notice.

Within 48 hours he wrote telling my wife the shop was shutting in 4 days and she would be made redundant as there would be no work for her in the new shop in the village pub.

He then gave her notice that he would pay her 3 weeks redundancy notice. BUT because he hasn't given her adequate notice she is expected to work her two weeks notice in the pub training the staff there on how to do the job.

So my wife is going to get her redundancy pay, and basically two weeks more pay which he says is her notice period, but she has to work them training others to do the job he says doesn't exist anymore.

ah well... better something than nothing I suppose.

I hope that the absence is not due to an injury at work.

so, he is paying 5 weeks pay? If not then she has to take the holiday accrued from the last couple of working weeks. That will be the equivalent of at least 7 days so only leaves 3 days to actually work.

He hasnt thougfht things out well nor researched his obligations has he? Redundnacy is paid after she leaves and is not part of any arrangement as that would be normal working.

You need to be clear o what the entitlement is as well rather than agreeing to any old tosh he decides on.