DPA breach Scottish Power

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2188 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As some of you know Scottish Power (SP) are terrible at everything they do!

Story:

Friend 1:

I helped an SP customer get their account sorted, back-billing issues.

Now that's sorted and redress was nice for the customer.

Friend 2:

I am currently helping sort their back-billing issues, some success so far.

Now being smart a SAR was sent to SP for friend 2.

In their name only .

The data pack duly arrives within the 40 days, some items were missing, a quick email to SP sorted that out.

Now its complicated, on listening to the cd's of the phone calls for friend 2, SP have sent friend 2 copies of all friend 1's calls, neither friend know each other, never met nor communicated with each other whatsoever. The only common thing is me.

I am not the data subject for either account.

So why have SP issued data for friend 1 to friend 2, can friend 2 now complain to the ICO and the Ombudsman in relation to the data breach.

It clearly can be heard that the normal security questions being asked and confirmed!

Your thoughts please

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Start off by making a complaint to the ICO. Make it on the telephone – get a reference number and then make sure it is confirmed in writing. You will have to chase them up every so often but eventually you should get a written view that yes SP are in breach. Once you have that then you can begin making a complaint to the ombudsman – or bring an action in the County Court under the DPA.

Unfortunately the amount conversation will be extremely small because clearly the data has not gone large

Thank you Bankfodder,

I have 8 disks to go through, the amount of data is on disk 1 hour 30 minutes in total on disk one alone. the information is significant.

The information goes in to great detail about the data subjects account...

Since I still have 3rd party for both subjects then I've just informed both.

One is ok with it and didn't know, the breach subject is furious.

Once I have listened to each disk I will have a better idea of how much data was wrongfully released...

I have now listened to the disks, there are a total of nearly 2 hours worth of information that has been leaked incorrectly.

Data subject 2 now has the data and has decided to complain, having taken the advice of BF this is the right thing to do in this case.

Given the serious nature of the breach I have advised that they seek professional advice. I have made over the extra information and hopefully the ICO will deal with SP in the correct manner.

Now, given that it is important to make your own recordings it also pays to obtain those from the creditors if they record.

I believe a complaint letter must wing its way to DERMOT NOLAN, CEO OFGEM.

There are a few open letters freely available if you search for them, but a few years ago SP were in trouble with Ofgem >>

Scottish Power has agreed to pay £18 million for failing to treat its customers fairly.

The fine – of which up to £15 million will be paid to vulnerable Scottish Power customers and £3 million to charity - is the third biggest penalty given to one of the major six energy providers. It follows an investigation by the industry regulator Ofgem into the firm’s customer service.

Scottish Power's call handling, complaint resolution and billing were all below the basic level of standards required, the investigation concluded. The poor service resulted in over 1 million complaints between June 2013 and December 2015.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/scottish-power-fined-18m-for-poor-customer-service-that-prompted-one-million-complaints-a7001346.html

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Getting professional advice will amount to nothing and will cost a lot of money. Complaining to the ICO will do nothing because they will take almost no action – but if you can get a written confirmation that SP are probably in breach then this would give you a basis for a further complaint.

Don't waste your money and don't get your hopes up as to what anybody might bother to do for you

BF: Advice taken and passed on to the Data Subjects.

I will update this thread if and when information is made available...

Thx

MM