My son (15) stole vodka from Sainsburys - been asked to attend police station with him

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2201 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have just had a call from the police to say that my son (15) stole a bottle of vodka from Sainsbury's at the beginning of March.

He was seen on CCTV.

We have been asked to go to the Police station on Wed so they can talk to him.

What will happen?

probably not a lot

get him to admit [if he did it] and it will just be a warning/talking too, nothing much gets recorded if he accepts the warning/caution

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

Forgive me for making assumptions. If the police got his identity from CCTV, it is likely he has had dealings with them before and if so, they may take it more seriously.

On another front, If he got stopped by security at Sainsbugs they may have passed his details on to the police although this would be unusual as they usually pass on details to a civil recovery company.

As it seems the police have him bang to rights, admit his offence and see what they do. A caution or a fixed penalty is most likely. The more important thing is for him to stop stealing and find out what issues he has that created this act.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

depending what he did before, its just a bottle of vodka now. If it wasnt serious before, then he would just get a caution. IF he only stole very small amounts before, it will still be a caution as it wouldnt be in the public interest to prosecute.

However, they have recognised him and gone to the police , so it may be more serious. I would suggest that he admits it in full, shows full remorse and they will give a lesser punishment.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Either way a Caution is a Criminal Record and should be avoided if at all possible. Many young lives blighted by these "Cautions" showing up on a DBS a few yerars later.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

you need to get the truth from your son before you attend so that way it is easier for him to tell his side of the story and not waste the police time dragging things out of him when he syas things that contractdicts the evidence. He should apologise for his actions and using up their precious time on this matter.

I would presume there is intel about this so it may be that his friends are known to the police rather than anything he has done before but keep an open mind. It is rare for anything other than a noted warning for a first offence and this is lower than a police caution so wont appear on a DBS check

Edited by honeybee13
Paras

Either way a Caution is a Criminal Record and should be avoided if at all possible. Many young lives blighted by these "Cautions" showing up on a DBS a few yerars later.

Absolutely agree 100%. There is no such thing as 'just' a Caution. It will still be seen in the same way as a conviction for theft should a DBS be needed for employment in the future. It may also prevent travel to certain countries, most notably the USA should this be needed in future. Even a pocket book entry can, even though unlikely, and depending on the circumstances lead to the matter of an allegation of theft by shoplifting being recorded and disclosed in an enhanced check for certain occupations

So what happened at the police station?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!