• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Is this garden leave??***Resolved***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1989 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My GP has said I'm fit to return to work and has signed a sick note to this effect, but my employer's OH doctor recommends my employer commissions a report from a neuro psychologist prior to any return.

As I'm fit to return I do not believe I should have to take any delay as annual leave and it can't be classed as sick leave, as I'm considered fit to work. What is the solution? Would this be "garden" leave?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have they said it will be annual leave ?

Normally in this situation, a company will just pay you as normal similar to garden leave and you return to work when the employers OH are satisfied that you are safe to return to work. The reason it would not be annual leave, is that from a health and wellbeing point of view it would not be sensible or good practice to see your holiday time eaten up. You will need leave time during the year, so you have opportunity to recharge your batteries during the working year.

Suggest you contact your employers line manager to discuss and obtain written confirmation of the exact position.

Edited by dx100uk

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

"garden leave" is when you are not working yoru notice but need to be available

this is "medical suspension" and most organisations would resume wages

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Check in your Employment Contract for anything on Sicknesss/illness/Capability also check the Company Employees Handbook if they have one.

Are they using their Capability Policy???

1. When did you start employment with this Company?

2. How long have you been Employed with this Company to date?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

are you currently being paid sick leave? if so i wouldnt expect that to change. If not then it can be read as you are currently suspended pending the outcome of a medical and they should pay you as they would be obliged to do so for any other reason.

As it's the Easter weekend it's too soon for HR to have communicated with me so unable to respond with any detail. I hope to be hearing something this next week so shall post HRs response.

the it will continue until they have done their deliberations. If they then refuse to let you return to work they should start proceeding to dismiss you on capability grounds or arrange a return t work in some graded return scheme agreed by OH and yourself. ita may be light duties or shorter hours but they cant do nothing and refuse to pay you,

Received a letter stating I would be on half pay from now on. @phoned HR but the person I need to speak to is on leave.

Dear company,

as you are aware my doctor has signed me on as fit to work

I have been waiting for X weeks at your request for an additional medical check. I am fit and fully able to resume duties, yet about to be put on half pay.

This feels discriminatory. Please confirm I am in fact on medical suspension at your request and will continue to receive full pay, or confirm I can recommence duties immediately.

Yours,

you.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

More news on this.

Today I received an email from HR. They say I am now on half pay because the Occupational Health doctor's recommendation that I have a psychological assessment, takes precedence over my GP who maintains I am medically fit to return to work on a phased return.

In addition it has been 17 days since my employer received the OH report and the recommendation but today they are finally making the actual referral.

I now feel compelled to seek legal advice.

If they think you have a mental health concern going in heavy handed may simply confirm their prejudice. I would send the letter first....

• Haha 1

An update.

I'm on half pay while awaiting the psychological assessment suggested by the OH doctor.

My employer says it would be too risky for me to return to the workplace without back to work suggestions from the psychologist (I've only had a stroke six months ago!).

Despite my argument that this is medical suspension and my GP saying I'm fit to return, my employer has overruled my GP.

My union say I have no option than to go along with what's happening and see my GP to ask him to say I'm sick with work related stress..

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

what good will seeing your GP do?

push hard, very day, for that OH appointment. Not having it is costing you.

If I might make an observation that had not been contributed hitherto, but which will cast some light on the subject,

whilst in no way suggesting that the employer is "morally correct", it should be pointed out that they are legally correct and the OP is laboring under a misapprehension that they have been signed as fit for work by their doctor.

According to what the OP says here, that is not what the GP has said.

"Fit for work" means returning 100% to your full job with all duties and hours. That is not what the GP said.

The for note must therefore say "may be fit for work on a phased return" or words to that effect.

That is ADVICE to the employer, so they are not refusing to accept the GP diagnosis or overruling it.

They are simply choosing not to comply with the advice.

In order for this to be a medical suspension, the employer must refuse permission to return to the FULL job in all its glory.

If the GP is willing to provide a fit note that says they are fully fit with no exceptions, then if the employer ignores that it becomes a medical suspension.

The unions hands are tied at the moment. The employer is legally correct.

Edited by sangie5952
spacing

Thanks Sangie595 - my fit note says I'm to return on a phased basis though, as you say, my employer has overruled the GP's opinion and has a right to do so. However, the OH doctor who suggested a neuropsychological assessment following my stroke could be carried out concurrently with a return to the workplace. The employer has chosen not to do this.

And that's the problem - they have a right to do so.

The OH doctor also only gives advice.

I don't know if it's an agenda, or just being super cautious.

I don't have the information to make an informed guess about that.

What I can say is that the employer is acting within the law.

Nothing there to see ... Yet.

Further update

For some strange reason my employer is now allowing me back on a phased basis prior to the neuropsychological assessment. I'm unsure what to think about this! At least my return will put me back on full pay.

Not to be the bearer of bad news,

but are you sure it does that?

Many employers did not pay full pay on a phased return

- they pay the rate that is earned,

so if you work half the week,

you get half the pay.

Many people don't notice that is the case because they have company sick pay,

and that makes up the balance.

In effect they are being paid part salary and pay sick pay.

If you have sick pay,

it amounts to the same pay so nobody notices or cares.

But since your company sick pay had run out,

it might not be full pay unless your terms specify that.

You need to check

- don't assume.

Edited by sangie5952
spacing

• 1 month later...

I intend to represent myself at a tribunal if the initial intervention of ACAS fails. I'm seeking £1600 of deductions from my salary that my employer took and is a failure of adhering to their own policy.

I don't feel it's worth employing a legal representative and want to do it myself but would appreciate any tips.