Former HA Tenancy Rent Arrears - Regional Collection Services

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2035 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure if this is the correct board to put this, sorry if not. :)

I had a tenancy with a large Housing Association which ended 2 years ago and I left owing over £1K of arrears.

The last 2 years I haven't heard anything from them (they knew my contact details so not sure why) and as such I just buried my head in the sand until now.

They have passed my arrears to a bailiff company called Regional Collection Services based in Sunderland, who have added £390+VAT in costs to the arrears.

I've contacted the Housing Association by email asking to set up a payment plan directly with them to clear the balance but they have said I need to contact RCS to set up a payment plan with them instead.

Can they force me to contract with RCS?

If I pay payments directly to the Housing Association do they have to accept them? I really don't want to deal with RCS nor do I want to pay them the extra £390+VAT either.

RCS have sent me a letter but they haven't turned up on my doorstep yet but I expect they will soon.

If I had the money available I would just pay it all off in one go directly to the Housing Association.

Thanks for any help or guidance.

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

I think you'll find they are a powerless DCA

a very big difference to a bailiff

they have absolutely ZERO legal power

and absolutely zero legal remit to add anything to any debt

read the letter properly

bet it don't say WILL anything

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The top of the letter says they are "Certificated bailiffs and Authorised High Court Enforcement Officers". Their website is http://www.rcs.org.uk

The letter says that if I don't pay in full within 48 hours of the date of the letter they will pass my file to their "Bailiff/Debt Collector" then it gives the name of the said Bailiff/Debt Collector as "Mr Mitchell" and his mobile number should I want to discuss this.

they can only get bailiffs involved if they have already been to court and got a CCJ against you!!

that's a VERY misleading letter if is says bailffs/debt collector

phillips and DCBL have been hauled over the coals by the authorities about such blatant misleading letters.

they are operating as powerless DCA's in this instance and have ZERO powers to do or add ANYTHING to a debt.

have you checked you credit file to make sure they've not got a backdoor CCJ against using your old address?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

can you scan the letter up to PDF please

read UPLOAD

and they

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

PDF of the letter attached.

Not checked my credit file in a while but I doubt they have a CCJ on me at the old address as I moved out over 2 years ago and the HA have my current address. I am also still able to log into my rent account on the HA's website and it only lists the rent arrears on the statement, no court costs or anything like that.

RCS letter.pdf

oh dear

you need to complain and loudly about that letter.

dx

and they

I had a tenancy with a large Housing Association which ended 2 years ago and I left owing over £1K of arrears.

The last 2 years I haven't heard anything from them (they knew my contact details so not sure why) and as such I just buried my head in the sand until now.

They have passed my arrears to a bailiff company called Regional Collection Services based in Sunderland, who have added £390+VAT in costs to the arrears.

Thank you for posting up a copy of the letter that you have received. It is fair to say that I am not impressed with the letter as it would seem to indicate that the debt is with a private sector bailiff provider and that a visit is likely to take place.

You mention that charges of £390 plus vat have been added to the debt. This figure does not appear on the letter exhibited?

and they

Thank you for posting up a copy of the letter that you have received. It is fair to say that I am not impressed with the letter as it would seem to indicate that the debt is with a private sector bailiff provider and that a visit is likely to take place.

You mention that charges of £390 plus vat have been added to the debt. This figure does not appear on the letter exhibited?

Sorry I blanked out the amount in case I could be identified by that. They have added £390 to the amount I owe the HA + £25 + VAT as stated on the letter. I have no idea where they have got that extra £390 from. HA don't mention anything of it, just the original balance.

Which HA is it ? We may be able to advise on the process they usually follow.

Unlikely any HA would go for a CCJ on that value.

Andy

Thread moved to the appropriate forum.....

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

:lol:

a debt of just over £1k and these fleecers are trying to add 50% to it in DCA fees...what muppets!!

pers I think the FCA would be very interested in these fleecing tactics...

and they

The HA are Bernicia Group.

:lol:

a debt of just over £1k and these fleecers are trying to add 50% to it in DCA fees...what muppets!!

pers I think the FCA would be very interested in these fleecing tactics...

They had me over the Bailiff bit, I have a car parked on the driveway and I was thinking they would clap it if they turned up at my address. Which would be a nightmare. :(

The HA are Bernicia Group.

Was you paying the rent yourself or from housing benefit ?

I was paying it myself.

Fine.......file the letter and I would personally forget about it.

Hi

I know you say the HA new your contact details a question reference the Tenancy:

Did you move out following the Housing Association procedure for Ending your Tenancy/Termination?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I was evicted as I could no longer afford the rent although I left and handed the keys back before I was physically evicted.

Edited by dx100uk

Hi

Thank you for that information.

I need you to clarify that you received notice of the eviction and date and that you voluntary after this handed the keys back to the HA?

Edited by stu007

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

I had already left before the eviction date but I won't know if they sent any court papers to the address after I left.

There are no extra costs on my rental statement balance.

Just the rent due up until the date I was evicted which was 4th Jan 2016.

Hi

Thanks for that as we just needed to be sure there was no court action and by you saying it is just the rent arrears up till the eviction date from your rent balance and previous post that you had handed the keys to the property back clarifies this.

So please follow the advice that you have been given by the others on this thread

Please also make sure and check your credit file.

Noodle: https://www.noddle.co.uk/

Clearscore: https://www.clearscore.com/

Edited by stu007

are we sure there can now be no CCJ against the OP under the old property address then?

and they

The HA if Evicting a Tenant has to follow a process before it even gets to Court and that starts if they are in arrears (with the HA trying to make arrangements with the Tenant ie.Payment Plan, ways they may help etc) if this fails and the arrears accumulate to a certain level (agreed by HA) the eviction process then starts by the HA issuing a notice to the Tenant of the Notice of Eviction to leave by XX/XX/XXXX.

The Op has stated that they received this notice and left before the date given and voluntary handed the keys to the property back to the HA.

As the OP followed the Notice of Eviction as above this would have not then went to court as that is the HA next step if the OP had not left by that date.