• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Lloyds Breach of SAR court claim issued ***Resolved***

Redmountie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1855 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I applied to Lloyds for an SAR. The SAR was correctly made and accepted by Lloyds.

I contacted Lloyds SAR Team via telephone, several times (at least three times) during the 40 day statutory period, and on each occasion, they advised me that there were no issues, and that they would be dispatching the SAR data, within the 40 day statutory period. The day before the 40 day statutory period was due to expire, I contacted them one last time.

On this occasion Lloyds advised that because I had phoned them 3 weeks into the SAR period, and asked for specific information (i.e. PPI and Loan information), they had reset the 40 day statutory period, and that my SAR request would now not be sent until the end of this month.

When I phoned Lloyds asking for this specific information, I firstly clarified with them, that by asking for this specific data, there would be no delay in the original SAR date. The SAR Team advisor i spoke to confirmed that there would be no delay. The whole purpose of asking Lloyds for this specific information was so that they didn't have to trawl through years and years worth of data.

Had i been told at this point that there would be a delay or the statutory 40 day period would be rest, i would have left the SAR request as is, and got them to send me everything. My fault for trying to be helpful towards Lloyds. Lloyds stated that they had sent me a letter advising me that they were delaying the SAR disclosure.

They stated that they had sent me the letter on 7th March 2018, yet as speaking to them on 12th March 2018, I had nothing through the post. I eventually received a letter from them on 16th March 2018. My issue here is, if they had known they were delaying my SAR when i originally phoned them (3 weeks into the SAR 40 days), why did they leave it for over 2 weeks to notify me that it was being delayed. Also, i have phoned them on a number of occasions and at no point have they advised it was delayed.

The 40 day statutory date has come and past, so i issued Lloyds with a Letter Before Action (LBA), giving them an extra five working days to send me the SAR. They failed to do this so i have now issued an N1 Particulars of Claim for breach of SAR Request. This was done via money claim online. I have confirmed that Lloyds received the N1 Particulars of Claim, via a signature on special recorded delivery. I have also submitted an N215 Certificate of Service in relation to this.

I have now received correspondence from Lloyds who have instructed solicitors on their behalf and are defending the claim.

I am not sure on what actions i need to take next. I am not legally trained and have limited knowledge of civil court proceedings.

Please can i have some advise and help on what i need to do next.

Aside from the N1 Particulars of Claim, i have also submitted a complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office, for the breach of data protection.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done on issuing proceedings. Lloyds are a dishonest company which get away with far too much. They often find themselves in breach of SARs and it is about time somebody took them on.

However, not so well done (I'm afraid) on not having a game plan for this before you start the action. We will be pleased to help you, but we may find that it could have been done in a different way.

Please will you post up your claim. Also, have you made a complaint to the Information Commissioner? I suggest that you do this. Unfortunately it is probably left too late but if you had a written confirmation from the information Commissioner that they were indeed in breach of their data protection obligations then this would help you enormously. I suggest that you make a complaint to the information Commissioner immediately. Do it by telephone tomorrow and then follow up with an email. Make sure you get names and reference numbers of the complaint.

Sorry, I just re-read your post. I see that you have in fact made a complaint to the Information Commissioner. Well done – you are doing the right things. When did you make your complaint?

Hi BankFodder,

What information shall i post with regards to the claim? Is the below ok?

30/01/2018 SAR Request submitted to Lloyds - 40 day deadline 11/03/2018

06/02/1018 Letter from Lloyds confirming receipt of SAR with a deadline date of 13/03/2018

19/02/2018 Contacted Lloyds to ask for specific information and confirmed deadline date was still 13/03/2018. SAR Team advised no issue and still on target for deadline of 13/03/2018

06/03/2018 Contacted Lloyds to confirm SAR deadline of 13/03/2018 was still on schedule. SAR Team advised no issue and still on target for deadline of 13/03/2018

12/03/2018 Contacted Lloyds to confirm SAR deadline of 13/03/2018 was still on schedule. SAR Team advised that the 40 day statutory period had been reset and was now anticipated being end of March 2018

14/03/2018 Letter Before Action submitted to Lloyds (giving 5 working days - 19/03/2018)

20/03/2018 Complaint submitted to Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) regarding breach of (SAR) Data Protection Act 1998. Confirmation email received from the ICO confirming receipt of complaint correspondence

21/03/2018 N1 Particulars of Claim issued via Money online

21/03/2018 Notification of Service received from Royal Mail

23/03/2018 N215 Certificate of Service sent to Money Claim Online

27/03/2018 N9 Response Pack received from Lloyds Solicitor's (defending claim) and N434 Notice of Change Legal Representative

Yes, i have completed the ICO's online complaint form and sent it to them on 20/03/2018. They have since confirmed receipt of my complaint correspondence later that day (i.e. 20/03/2018).

Please will you post up the claim form in pdf format

If you have a scanner the software normally contains the software to scan in PDF...otherwise just type it out here by hand (Verbatim) less any identifiables.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

please read UPLOAD

it tells you how to do it.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

your issue is you asked for specific info

should have asked for all info...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

We are very happy to help you and we do it free of charge. You get hundreds of pounds worth of advice and may be more from here free. However, it is very helpful to engage more closely with the thread and also we do need to see documents. For less than £50 you can get a very decent scanner from PC World – and you still have the scanner for years after your problem is sorted out.

I have also served a Certificate of Service and sent this to County Court Business Centre and asked them to add it to my Money Claim Online case file.

I have received an N9 Response Pack from Eversheds and Sutherlands. They have indicated that they intend to defend all of the claim.

I have now received the data from the SAR on 28-03-2018, via signed for delivery. They sent me every document on file, since I have banked with them. Some 18 years, so it came in two massive bundles. Not sure why they did this, as when i contacted them on 19-03-2018, i did specify the documentation i needed.

Having checked the two bundles, i note that they have not enclosed copies of the application form or consumer credit agreements for any of the accounts/loans i asked for.

Having checked the two bundles, i note that they have not enclosed copies of the application form or consumer credit agreements for any of the accounts/loans i asked for.

They wont...nor obliged to........you must request your agreements by way of a section 77/78 request

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

We are very happy to help you and we do it free of charge. You get hundreds of pounds worth of advice and may be more from here free. However, it is very helpful to engage more closely with the thread and also we do need to see documents. For less than £50 you can get a very decent scanner from PC World – and you still have the scanner for years after your problem is sorted out.

BankFodder, I have attached the N1 Particulars of Claim as requested.

Thank you.

Okay it looks fairly straightforward – except that you have asked for a court order. This ramps it up slightly because a mere defence from the defendants won't really do the business and they will have to be hearing in order for the judge to decide whether or not to make the order.

It might have been handy to have waited until the complaint to the information Commissioner had received a an indication as to whether or not they thought there was a breach. If they had indicated that they thought the bank was in breach then the whole thing would be very straightforward. As it is, you are waiting for a response from the information Commissioner. Have you told the information Commissioner that you have started a legal action? It will be better not to because they might feel constrained not to give any opinion in view the fact that proceedings had been started.

There's not a lot you can do now except to wait for the expiry of the 28 days from the issue the claim to see whether or not they put in the defence. They probably will put in a defence on time in which case you will have to come back to us and tell us what they say. If by some chance the deadline expires and they have not put in the defence then I would suggest that you move very quickly to apply for judgement. However, it is likely that they will put in a defence.

I would imagine it's highly likely that they will contact you and try simply to pay the money that you are after and to get you to drop it. Do I understand from you that since issue the proceedings they have complied?

Thanks for the reply and the guidance BankFodder, very much appreciated, as i have no legal training and feel like a fish out of water.

I got the template for this N1 Particulars of Claim, from another CAGER's thread, so i thought it was the standard template to send to the Courts. Apologies if it is incorrect or if i have inadvertently asked for a court order, when i shouldn't have. I thought the content was correct when i sent it.

When I submitted my complaint to the ICO, I did enclose a copy of the bank letter, advising them i was taking them to County Court for non-compliance. I didn't disclose this fact on the ICO complaint form though. Although, from the letter, i suspect the ICO will be aware of the pending Court case.

Lloyds have sent me the SAR data and i received this on 28.03.2018.

So, Eversheds Sutherland Solicitor's have filed the N9 Acknowledgement, and i just need to wait now to see if they submit a defence within the 28 days? If they do offer to settle out of court, should i accept, now that i have the SAR data? And if they do submit a defence, what do i need to do next please?

Let's see what they offer – if anything and also what the defence is.

You should be aware that they may test you by supplying a defence and then waiting for the matter to be allocated and then to go to a hearing.

There are two problems here. First of all, they may decide to bluff you out and see if you are prepared to pay the hearing fee. I'm not sure how much that is – but it might be a couple of hundred quid. It is very unfair but the costs have gone up in the past couple of years. If you pay the hearing fee they will then know that you're serious and they may then start to negotiate. Of course if you win then you will get your hearing fee and other costs back.

The second thing that could happen is that because you have asked for a court order the judge may consider that this is no longer a small claim and he my allocate it to the fast track. If that happens then if you lose you will be liable for a fair amount of costs and that would probably excite the banks solicitors to start putting pressure on you and also to spin it out to increase your exposure to costs. I think it is unlikely that it would be allocated to the fast track – but I am simply explaining the various things that might happen

I'm afraid the whole thing becomes a bit of a game. If we had helped you in the drafting of the claim form then I think we probably wouldn't have asked for the court order. We would simply have asked for a payment and this would have kept things simple and at a manageable level.

I'm afraid that in the circumstances if they happen to come back to you with a settlement offer that on the basis that you now have your SAR disclosure, you might be best off accepting it – but let us know first.

If I had been helping you draft claim then I would probably have made a symbolic claim of money on the basis of a DPA breach of your SAR but also of a breach of the banks obligations to treat you fairly and to communicate with you fairly under BCOBS.

I think that this alone would have been sufficient to concentrate their minds.

• 3 weeks later...

So in relation to my DPA non-compliance complaint to the Information Commissioner, I have today received an email from the Case Officer. It is their view that "Lloyds Bank is unlikely to have complied with its obligations under the Data Protection Act 1998". He further advises in his email that he he written to Lloyds asking them to ensue it responds properly to my as soon as possible, certainly within 21 days.

The Case Officer has asked Lloyds Bank to provide them with an explanation for the delay and has given them 28 days to respond to the ICO on the issue.

Good well done. This is exactly the response you're looking for.

When are the 28 days up?

If you have not received a defence then it must be nearly time to apply for judgement

Incidentally I think that it is highly likely that they will simply try to buy you off by paying you what you are asking in the claim.

I suggest that you let us know before you accept anything because we might be able to make some other suggestions

I am glad you have mentioned the 28 days as i have an issue with the County Court Business Centre. They have registered the Acknowledgement of Service as being 26/03/18. However, the N215 Certificate of Service i submitted shows the date of service as the 23/03/2018. The CCBC say they add five days on from the date i served the claim. That was on 21/03/18. So the 28 days expires on Monday and so far no defence has been received/entered. i am looking to request judgement immediately. I am assuming i have to wait until tuesday morning (the day after) to request judgement?

The 28 days is from the date of service of the claim. If you issue on MoneyClaim then for a business this is generally speaking two days after the date of issue. 28 days runs from then. If you serve an individual then I believe that the date of deemed service is five days after the date of issue.

Anyway, I'm assuming that you have issued this on MoneyClaim and so just keep on going back every day until it allows you to apply the judgement.

Also you should be aware that even if you have applied for judgement, if they file a defence during the "processing time" (about 10 days), that the court staff may still decide to allow the defence and reject your application for judgement. It seems unfair but I suppose they try to take a pragmatic view

Fodder, just checking in. Tomorrow is the deadline for them to file a defence and i received nothing from them Friday or yesterday. Do i have to wait until the following working day (i.e. 24) to submit, or can i request judgement same day, say in the evening? Not been in this position before, so making sure, i do everything correctly and as per CPR.