Stevens Drake chasing AU debt in the UK that I am unable to repay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2192 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have been reading lots of different opinions on here regarding debt from Australian companies being chased in the UK.

I had a fairly large credit card, plus some other unsecured loan debt in Australia where I lived for some years. Due to illness I ended up back in the UK and out of work for 4 years. As a result I defaulted on the debt and had not made a payment on any in about 2 years.

About a year ago I received a letter from Stevens Drake regarding on of the debts and threatening generic legal action if I did not pay. As I was still unwell at the time I did not have the energy to research my options as what best to do, as a result I started making £xx per month payments.

The debt in this time has gone from about $18,000 to over $23,000 as the payment I have been making are fairly small.

Long story short, I asked if they would accept a few thousand pounds to settle the debt in total as that is all I can scrape together from family and friends but they refused it.

I cannot go bankrupt in Australia as I am not there, I also cannot go bankrupt in the UK as I do not have any debt and that debt is not even located here yet - so I feel in a catch 22 situation.

I feel like I should just stop paying and force them to issue proceedings here so I can then go bankrupt but I am not sure how bad an idea this is.

I will not be able to go back to earning the sort of money I did previously which means in reality I cannot repay this debt.

If anyone can give any advice I would be extremely grateful.

read other similar threads :) youll be happy

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

read other similar threads :) youll be happy

I hope so :)

It has been quite a stressful time with it.

I have a long list of posts open on here that I have started to go through. Most so far seem to have made it to the point of a UK hearing but only read a small amount.

Keep reading

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

shame you got spoofed into paying them....

as far as I know you CAN got BK in AUS from the UK

someone has already done it here successfully. .hint hint.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I know, I feel pretty stupid now but at the time I wasn't well enough to take things on properly.

I don't suppose you could share any specific threads that would help? I have dozens of tabs open and trying to work it all out!

I emailed a debt charity in AU but they said I would need to be present and that you then need to apply for permission to leave the country again

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you so much.

As I have been an utter fool and been paying off a small amount each month is there any advice as to what to do?

Stop paying and wait for them to bring action so I can dispute jurisdiction or try to do that whilst paying? Sorry to be asking so much. I did even speak to a couple of debt lawyers and nobody could give a good answer.

well the first bit yes

as for bringing action...I very much doubt that

a dca or their fake/tame solicitor

are NOT BAILIFFS

and have

ZERO legal powers

go read those threads.

and they

Thanks again!

I will be reading everything I can. I really appreciate everyone on here helping - it can be pretty intimidating when you receive all of the threats of court etc.

Unless anyone else thinks there is a better route to resolve this I guess I will just stop paying.

I just hope in 5 years time or something to have been able to start a mortgage but I guess I will be better waiting for the 6 years to expire...Oh well some landlord will be happy :)

why have you UK defaults then too?

and they

then you don't need to await any 6yrs

but id get a couple of lines of credit running and pay them in full each month

a blank credit fil is as bad as a CCJ!/default to mortgage lenders

and kame sure you are on voters!!

and they

The reciprocal laws in most commonwealth countires mena they can start proceedings in a UK court but they cant get blood out of a stone. Offering to pay a nominal fiver a month will kill a court claim but drag things out for ever. If you made the settlement offer in writing then that is called mitigation and a court will really frown upon anyone who sues after turning down a settlement offer that isnt frivolous