• Tweets

• Hi I received a Parking Charge letter to keeper on Monday 15/04/24, the 17th day after the alleged incident. My understanding is that this is outside the window for notifying. The issue date was 08/04/2024 which should have been in good time for it to have arrived within the notice period but in fact it actually arrived at lunchtime on the 15th. Do I have to prove when it arrived  (and if so how can I do that?) or is the onus on them to prove it was delivered in time? All I can find is that delivery is assumed to be on the second working day after issue which would have been Weds 10//04/24 but it was actually delivered 5 days later than that (thank you Royal Mail!). My husband was present when it arrived - is a family member witness considered sufficient proof? 1 Date of the infringement  arr 28/03/24 21:00, dep 29/03/24 01.27 2 Date on the NTK  08/04/2024 (Date of Issue) 3 Date received Monday 15/04/24 4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012?  Yes 5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? Yes 6 Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal] No    Have you had a response?  n/a 7 Who is the parking company? GroupNexus 8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Petrol Station Roadchef Tibshelf South DE55 5T 'operating in accordance with the BPA's Code of Practice'  
    • lookinforinfo - many thanks for your reply. It would be very interesting to get the letter of discontinuance. The court receptionist said that the county court was in Gloucester 'today' so that makes me think that some days it is in Gloucester and some days its in Cheltenham, it was maybe changed by the courts and i was never informed, who knows if DCBL were or not. My costs were a gallon of petrol and £3.40 for parking. I certainly don't want to end up in court again that's for sure but never say never lol. Its utterly disgusting the way these crooks can legally treat motorists but that's the uk for you. I'm originally from Scotland so it's good that they are not enforceable there but they certainly still try to get money out of you. I have to admit i have lost count of the pcn's i have received in the last 2 yr and 4 months since coming to England for work, most of them stop bothering you on their own eventually, it was just this one that they took it all the way. Like i mentioned in my WS the the likes of Aldi and other companies can get them cancelled but Mcdonalds refused to help me despite me being a very good customer.   brassednecked - many thanks   honeybee - many thanks   nicky boy - many thanks    
    • Huh? This is nothing about paying just for what I use - I currently prefer the averaged monthly payment - else i wouldn't be in credit month after month - which I am comfortable with - else I wold simply request a part refund - which I  would have done if they hadn't reduced my monthly dd after the complaint I raised (handled slowly and rather badly) highlighted the errors in their systems (one of which they do seem to have fixed) Are you not aware DD is always potentially variable? ah well, look it up - but my deal is a supposed to average the payments over a year, and i dont expect them to change payments (up or down) without my informed agreement ESPECIALLY when I'm in credit over winter.   You are happy with your smart meter - jolly for you I dont want one, dont have to have one  - so wont   I have a box that tells me my electricity usage - was free donkeys years ago and shows me everything I need to know just like a smart meter but doesnt need a smart meter,  and i can manually set my charges - so as a side effect - would show me if the charges from the supplier were mismatched. Doesn't tell me if the meters actually calibrated correctly - but neither does your smart meter. That all relies on a label and the competence of the testers - and the competence of any remote fiddling with the settings. You seem happy with that - thats fine. I'm not.    
    • Evening all,   So today, I was sent an updated offer that includes the £12.60 I spent on letters, but they have declined to add the interest at £7.40. They have stating 'We acknowledge your request to claim interest to date, however, this would be at the discretion of a trial judge if the claim did proceed to a trial hearing.' I think I am content with this outcome, and pushing this to a trial for a total interest of £15.30 throughout the claim does not make sense to me.   What are people's thoughts? I am sure our courts have better things to concentrate on?
    • FFRSG3424ListofEvidencepdf-V1 2-merged.pdfFFRSG3424ListofEvidencepdf-V1 2-merged.pdf 2pages T&C,s UCM
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Unsafe Consumer Unit in Rented Property

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2216 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry for the long post....

After a burst pipe (the condensate pipe from gas boiler froze during snow storms) in crawl space above my kitchen the landlord agreed to update the consumer unit in my property [the corrosive water had leaked over two plug sockets and nothing tripped off even though water was inside both].

The guy sent I suspected wasn't qualified [on a previous visit to check for safety he checked the plugs by poking around the sides - and making a hole in the plaster].

I asked if he was qualified before he started [on the previous visit to check damage from the leak he told me 'he shouldn't be doing this' but didn't expand when asked why] and he shrugged; as a tenant, I believed the Estate Agent would have checked and so let him continue.

He has changed the fuse box, cut the meter fuse seals, not replaced older wires, not fitted the cover properly, put the switches in the wrong order, left the wires completely messy inside the unit and also labelled it incorrectly

- plus, the oven now trips one of the RCD's when it's on for more than three minutes and a plug socket is no longer working

- although this may be due to the junction box he put in the crawl space replacing connection taped with electrical tape, leaving a live wire improperly crimped and not connected - he'd stuffed them into the wall cavity.

As he left I ask about the 'signing off' and was told

'I have nothing to worry about' several times, because I was worried!

I asked again about the certification and he said that wasn't anything to do with tenants.

He didn't say someone would be back to carry out any checks, or follow up, or even to sign off on the work.

I've complained to the Estate Agents and the following day a guy turned up as I'd had problems with the oven.

I asked for credentials, but he'd have to go and get them cos he hadn't bought them with him.

I allowed him to look at the issues, but no work would be carried out until I had seen proof of his ability to sign off on the work.

He's looked and spouted a lot of blurb obviously covering his firms ass.

He looked, said he saw no issues with the work carried out, said the fan was the reason the oven wasn't working properly

- it wasn't turned to oven, just grill - he didn't even blush.

He checked to see if the wire left out of the crimp was live - it was!

He left to consult his boss and turned up 2 hours later with his sons training certificate and a weird looking NICEIC card saying he just needed to connect the crimp and everything would be working for me, which I don't think is true, plus the ID looked pants to me and so I turned him away.

I then received an email from Estate Agent

- the house owner lives in China

- saying the contractors had told them i had not allowed them access and would they be allowed in with a rep from the Estate Agent's local branch.

I have replied saying they didn't satisfy me that they were qualified and that anybody coming should be able to sign off on the work done

- but hey presto, 24 hours later and I've heard nothing...

What can I do next to get my oven working and the electrics safe?

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

You can check online if they're registered

http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk

I would give 7 days notice to estate agent and LL and then if no reply i would call a qualified electrician to put things right.

You can then deduct that from rent and if they wanna sue you, let them.

Of course report the estate agent to the ombudsman (if they're registered) and the council.

if they are members of the trade association ( there are 2 that cover letting agents as well as estate agents) then yu can make a compaint and I certainly would. Find a decent sparkie by looking online in one of the tradespeople ratings sites and ask them to make a quick assessment and dfo a bit of testing. Cost you about £35 for their time no doubt but you will be getting thsi back from the LA if there is anything wrong as well as being the grounds for your complaint. You will also need to have a word with the registration people as well if they are registered but still incompetent

He has changed the fuse box, cut the meter fuse seals,

What can I do next to get my oven working and the electrics safe?

If this "electrician" isn't qualified, he should not be changing the consumer unit. This is considered notifiable works and requires building control notification. Qualified electricians will be able to self certify and provide the relevant paperwork.

As for breaking the seals on the main fuse. A big NO NO. You need to contact your local electricity distribution company (see: http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.html for the correct number). Explain the situation to them, drop this "electrician" in the poo, and hopefully, the DNO will reseal the fuse at no cost to you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Breaking the seals of the main fuse is a big NO NO as these are there for a reason and cannot be removed/replaced without going via your local electricity distribution company / Electricity Provider.

As well as contacting your Local Electricity Distribution Company please make sure and let your own Electricity Provider (who you pay your electricity bills to) aware of this and that you have informed the Local Electricity Distribution Company for your area.

Please make sure and keep a good record of everything as you need to keep a good paper trail.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

You can check online if they're registered

http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk

I would give 7 days notice to estate agent and LL and then if no reply i would call a qualified electrician to put things right.

You can then deduct that from rent and if they wanna sue you, let them.

Of course report the estate agent to the ombudsman (if they're registered) and the council.

Thanks, I've sent notice, waiting again now. I have to exhaust the estate agents complaints process before the ombudsman, so holding off on that for now; I've complained to the council also.

The only person required to produce ID on demand before any rel work is a registered Gas Safe engineer.

Any work you allow is your decision but prob linked to other Legislation.

Any electrician doing Part P work has to be registered of a competent persons scheme - or so the council told me. @King12345 has kindly listed the website so you can check them.

Also, as a lone female tenant I don't think it's too much to ask that anyone presenting themselves at my door to rectify a previous numpties bodging be able to show some sort of proof of capability, after all, I'm not asking for inside leg measurements, just that thy can actually do the job.

Breaking the seals of the main fuse is a big NO NO as these are there for a reason and cannot be removed/replaced without going via your local electricity distribution company / Electricity Provider.

As well as contacting your Local Electricity Distribution Company please make sure and let your own Electricity Provider (who you pay your electricity bills to) aware of this and that you have informed the Local Electricity Distribution Company for your area.

Please make sure and keep a good record of everything as you need to keep a good paper trail.

The guy didn't even tell me any of that. I've been in touch with my energy provider, who passed me onto British Gas - they are more interested in me paying £43 to get them replaced than anything else, not are they in a rush to replace the seals.

My next step is to find out if he notified the council as you have to when doing this sort of repair.

Thanks for everyone's advice, it seems I am on track with everything :)

I've been in touch with my energy provider, who passed me onto British Gas - they are more interested in me paying £43 to get them replaced than anything else, not are they in a rush to replace the seals.

I think Western Power is your distribution company. Below is an extract of a recent chat session I've had:

Alex On the basis that the electrician shouldn't have pulled the main fuse as they are not qualified to do so, we would want to come out as a safety check and just make sure that there has been no inadvertent damage to the fuse unit. Could I take a name and contact number for you or if you prefer you can call our emergency number, 08006783105.

Mr.P: So no charge to put new seals on the fuse ?

Alex: If called out as a safety check we would reseal the main fuse, for safety, once we had checked. If there is any damage, there may be a cost but this would vary depending on what damage was done and what we would need to do to repair it.

I would recommend giving Alex a call, arrange a visit for a safety inspection, and as long as there is no damage, they should reseal for free. If you have contact details for the guilty electrician, I'm sure WPD would be interested in "having words" :madgrin:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.