Px'd motorhome. Dealer now asking for money for damp weeks later

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2218 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

First post after hoovering up the info here, thought i'd as my query for clarity.

I bought a new motorhome. Part of the deal was to PX my old one. I accepted the dealers valuation of my motorhome, sight unseen on their part. On the day of the exchange, we handed over our docs, full service history and importantly the habitation inspection reports done yearly one of the checks is to check and report for damp. These came back without issue and we have always been happy in the knowlege that the van is in good shape.

we then exchanged paper work, and shown the van. overall there over 2hr 15 mins of which just 40 mins was the actual signing and showing. I asked if he had looked at out van and was happy. He said yes.

Happily we drove off. over 2 weeks later and the dealer now saying there is damp in the van, we should pay to put this right. First news to me and came as a shock.

1) Are they allowed to demand more money long after the deal

2) If 1. is yes, how long does a dealer have to ask for more money? What if they then decide I owe them more later for other issues, am i liable?

Thanks all

M

Not your problem. They inspected the vehicle, and had your inspection reports as well. It sounds liek they havent taken care of it, and given the recent bad weather, just left it out, possibly with a window or door open/cracked.

Can you name the dealer please.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

The dealer has got no chance. They had the opportunity to inspect the vehicle including metering for any damp and accepted the vehicle at the agreed value after that inspection.

If the vehicle wasn't what they were expecting, that was their chance to refuse the deal. They can't now come back to you and attempt to change that deal.

The rule Caveat Emptor very much applies here.

The only problem that I can see is if you ever need to go back to that same dealer again in the future for something with your new motor home. Although it would be unwise on their part, they might try to do something silly.

I'd use a different dealer for servicing etc in the future. Just in case.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

:cheer2::cheer2:

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I am not qualified to comment on the legalities , but as a caravanner of over 40 years experience I can comment on the damp situation .

First and foremost any caravanner and motorhome owner will be acutely aware of the problems of damp , more so dealers .

A simple damp testing meter can be purchased from Amazon for as little as £10 . it beggars belief that a dealer would buy in a caravan/motorhome without performing this simple test .

Each time I have traded bought or sold a caravan , the first thing done was , out with the test meter .

It is a great tool for getting the price reduced , and often the problem can be a simple fix ,

Good luck in rejecting these chancers , because they know the next buyer of your traded motorhome , will want a serious reduction in price .

Once cured , dampness can take up to a year to dry out , I have had problems with the mastic sealant on one of the windows in my present caravan , the window was resealed 18 months ago and it has taken until now for the damp reading to be normal .Ventilation when the vehicle is not in use is very important .

All these type of vehicles have a certain amount of dampness , due to cooking , living and sleeping ,hence there is an acceptable level of moisture , above which the vehicle can be considered damp.

all liability passed over to the dealer when you signed the vehicle over. They are proferssionals so expected to know their business so any attempt at a claim will always fail, even if you failed to point out anything you were aware of. They could have asked you specifically if they had any doubts but they didnt.

Dont feel sorry for them, they will still make money, just as not as much as they hoped for so no moral reason to help boost their profits either

Edited by honeybee13
Paras

thank you for the advise and experience all. much settled now and awaiting the next call from the dealer. I really hope he sees the error and its fades into a horrible few days. it has been a stressful few days full of sleepless nights. after borrowing to our limit to buy the van finding over 4000£ is beyond impossible.

you lot are great will keep you updated.

You don't have to find a single penny. Stop worrying.

There's nothing that the dealer can do if you say "Not my problem"!

If they tell you they can or will do something, they are either misinformed or lying.

As I said, it's Caveat Emptor. Which is the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.

If they didn't or missed something. Unlucky!

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.