CC debt Maiden Name Living Abroad

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2217 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Today I received an email from PRA Group

Dear XXXX

Ref 1234567

Capital One

Discount Availability:

65%

Please note this offer will expire on 15/04/2018

Accept Offer

------

In 2010 I had a breakdown after being bullied at work, and was placed on unpaid sick leave. I managed to make the monthly payments but was made redundant five months later. I got married two weeks later.

I was a non EU national and our spousal visa was declined so moved abroad to Spain.

I contacted the CC provider as I had PPI, but was told that I wouldn't be eligible to claim as I wasn't registered with a UK employment agency seeking work. I disputed my PPI asking for a refund as I wasn't able to seek work in the UK due to my visa situation, but this dispute was rejected.

I asked for my account to be closed and asked for a payment arrangement

. They closed it but wouldn't come to an arrangement.

I kept making adhoc payments, with the last being in November 2014, but had another breakdown and ceased payments.

We are still living in Spain.

Before I left the UK I changed my drivers licence to my new married name but it has now expired. I did update my bank account to my new address but didn't change my bank account name.

I've since moved to a different part of Spain but haven't updated my bank account address. I've exclusively used my married name here in Spain.

The debt was around £2,000 but penalties will have been added since 2010.

I'm resentful of paying the debt as I feel I got screwed by PPI and we are now settled in Spain so won't be moving back to the UK.

Are they likely to track me to Spain? Should I close my UK bank account to avoid it being linked?

Moved to overseas forum

Its a discount email

A DCA have stuff all legal powers in the UK

They are NOT BAILIFFS

And even less:lol::lol: on overseas

Bounce the email back and block them

Trying to fleece you blind!!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Not wise to maintain a UK Bank account, as it indicates possible UK residence or continuing finances in the UK.

Debt owners/collectors do check UK credit records and an open UK Bank Account might indicate you are still around.

If a UK CCJ was obtained by using an old UK address to send court papers, then it would make matters more complicated.

The debt might not follow you to Spain, but I wonder whether they might start contacting UK addresses trying to enforce the debt.

If you have moved permanently to Spain, then it would seem sensible to end open UK financial records.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you for your replies.

I've tried to close my current account online but the 'Close Account' button doesn't work.

I called my UK bank who have told me I must visit a branch to close my account and I don't want to fly to the UK just to close my bank account.

It would be difficult to explain to my husband.

I looked at my old bank statements online and the address field has been updated to 'Gone Away' since May 2014 so someone at my first Spanish address has obviously returned bank correspondence back to the UK.

My bank account has been in credit by small amounts (less than £150) - do they report on account balances or just that the account is open?

Neither my husband or I have family in the UK, and my last UK address was a flat share where the average stay was less 12 months, so no one I know is still living there.

I've tried to work out the amount owing, but I really can't.

I had a limit of £2,000 and between closing it and stopping payments I paid around £800 but that will have been eaten up by penalties.

oh well you tried you best

i'd leave things along now.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

or your credit file

I wouldn't bother ...

and they