Group Signings at job centre plus

Raven1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2183 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope I'm in the right forum for this.

I've just made my fortnightly signing on at the job centre and saw someone I have not seen before. When I presented my usual print out of job application emails etc. (trial and error has taught me this is the most idiot proof way to present a job search) she advised me that I didn't have to do that and pretty soon they will be introducing 'group signings' where people attend in groups of about 15 and can just show their job search on their tablet or phone. Apparently they will soon not have enough staff to do anything more personal.

'You can just show them your job search on your phone or tablet' she said

I pointed out that I had neither a mobile phone nor a tablet, just a laptop at home, and would prefer to continue bringing in my print outs - didn't mention it was because it's idiot proof but that is why lol - even if I had a phone or tablet I would certainly not be offering up my email or any other personal account to their scrutiny.

She then mentioned I could use their computers to go into these account but I found out weeks ago that they use Open Office, cannot open pdf documents, and in any case I was not prepared to do this, I maintained that I preferred to bring in the print outs, and pointed out that it is entirely up to me how I present my job search and this is the method I chose.

This was not in any way a nasty conversation and I was actually laughing by now and asked her if she really thought this was going to work, her face said she knew it wouldn't.

'It'll be like a chimps tea party won't it' I suggested, she seemed to agree. ' I bet I'll be the first one out the door after showing someone my print out won't I' she still seemed to agree but now wanted me to leave because I was making too much sense, my first attempt to sign went very wrong because I was laughing so I had to do it again (a first)

I've had a bit of a Google and can't find anything about what promises to be an entertaining farce - at least for anyone with a print out of their job search.

Anyone heard of or had experience of this 'group signing'?

I'm afraid I have been out of the loop with regards the constant changes in processes at the Job Centre. As I don't own either a tablet nor a mobile phone and do not store documents on the cloud, any provisions the DWP made to access my documents would fail. Doesn't help that I tend to use LaTeX for a lot of my documents :razz:

Please, do keep us updated on the comedy that is bound to ensue.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Think these group signings will be common because of the roll out of Universal Credit. Job Centre staff will be moved over to be trained on UC and to deal with new UC claimants. Existing legacy benefit claimants will be asked to attend group signings which might not be on their using signing day. Claimants simply supply basic job search and any other info, which will be looked at very quickly, enabling Job Centre staff to process benefit payments.

Not much comedy, probably an easier less thorough process for both claimants and Job Centre staff. I doubt there will be any fuss made of what format the job search proof is provided on. As long as some proof is provided, that is all that is required.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

group signing session are not mandatory, they are just a cost saving exercise by the JCP also at the moment staff shortages as most go away to be trained for UC rollout.

They will just take your name and your signed on, they will not ask for your job search steps and as your in a group data protection and privacy prevent anyone saying anything personal.

Just get your name down and walk out they probably want to spout some rubbish to take up your valuable time but as said previously it is not mandatory to attend.

They just being sneaky and tying it in with peoples signing on so they have to attend at least to get paid, but hanging around is not needed.

You can ask to be dealt with in private if you rather not attend at all.

I'm afraid I have been out of the loop with regards the constant changes in processes at the Job Centre. As I don't own either a tablet nor a mobile phone and do not store documents on the cloud, any provisions the DWP made to access my documents would fail. Doesn't help that I tend to use LaTeX for a lot of my documents :razz:

Please, do keep us updated on the comedy that is bound to ensue.

I write 4 steps per which satisfies the legal test to be considered actively seeing employment week on a scrap of paper which I read from to verbally account for my Job searching activities.

I do not allow them to see my notes.

There is no reason nor law that says you need to detail all your job seeking activities.

Day 1 6:00AM checked email. 6:01 looked at job search portal. 6:02 clicked apply online warehouse. 6:03 read morning paper checked vacancies. 6:05 Went shop got milk checked store window. The rest of the week is my business :)

Okay so here is the requested update. I signed on today, as I was waiting I could hear that every person signing on was being told about this as it would affect their next signing. My 'advisor' started telling me about it as soon as I sat down gesturing at my job search print out and telling me I won't have to do that any more as they will 'just look at your email.'

'I still prefer to bring in the print out' I said ' I can imagine all kinds of data protection issues around this and in any case I am not prepared to open up my personal email in a crowded room on a job centre computer and at the end of the day as long as I do a job search it is entirely up to me how I present it'

She eventually agreed and said she would not be prepared to open up her private email either.

I was then told that she had decided it would be best for me if I continued signing on as usual and she made an appt. for two weeks time. I stated that I didn't mind attending a group signing but I would be bringing in a print out as usual. She told me I would find myself having this same conversation every time. I said I didn't mind because I knew they could not force me to open the email account.

I eventually got the impression they did not want me infecting the whole group with 'I know my rights' syndrome so I agreed that it was best to continue as before.

I have idea how many people will continue signing as before but it is clearly a contingency they have had to allow for. And TBH I think I will prefer it, I have had a breakdown in the past and they know about this and my adviser seemed to also think group signing would not be good for my stress levels - I wonder just what they expecting to go on at them?

Okay so here is the requested update. I signed on today, as I was waiting I could hear that every person signing on was being told about this as it would affect their next signing. My 'advisor' started telling me about it as soon as I sat down gesturing at my job search print out and telling me I won't have to do that any more as they will 'just look at your email.'

'I still prefer to bring in the print out' I said ' I can imagine all kinds of data protection issues around this and in any case I am not prepared to open up my personal email in a crowded room on a job centre computer and at the end of the day as long as I do a job search it is entirely up to me how I present it'

She eventually agreed and said she would not be prepared to open up her private email either.

I was then told that she had decided it would be best for me if I continued signing on as usual and she made an appt. for two weeks time. I stated that I didn't mind attending a group signing but I would be bringing in a print out as usual. She told me I would find myself having this same conversation every time. I said I didn't mind because I knew they could not force me to open the email account.

I eventually got the impression they did not want me infecting the whole group with 'I know my rights' syndrome so I agreed that it was best to continue as before.

I have idea how many people will continue signing as before but it is clearly a contingency they have had to allow for. And TBH I think I will prefer it, I have had a breakdown in the past and they know about this and my adviser seemed to also think group signing would not be good for my stress levels - I wonder just what they expecting to go on at them?

Yes I lasted all of 2 minutes on the last GIS after I pointed out to the work coach who had told everyone they would be moving from JSA to Universal credit in the next few months they were wrong and that will not happen until late 2019.

Was back to regular singing the following session.

Some work coaches just get it over with.

Some take it upon themselves to endlessly drone on about something for 50 mins or bring in some third party provider while they have your attention, better of just signing as per usual.

I do not bother recording my work search requirements any more I just verbally tell them a few steps that are already on my CC which they recommended.

• Check newspaper 1 step per week
  • Ask family friends 1 steps per week
  • Check shop windows 1 or more step per week
  • Check emails 1 or more steps per week
  • On-line Job search 1 or more steps per week

5 steps or more per week and that is 2 more than they need to know about but I am gracious.

Anything beyond satisfying I am actively seeking employment and fulfilling my work search requirements is my personal and private business thank you. If they doubt my uncorroborated evidence I an happy to provide a log of those steps when I have it in writing a doubt has been raised That is it, anything else is my business