Help regarding Council Tax Summons please?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2197 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

I've always paid my CT on time in the past. I recently went onto ESA and the DWP asked me if I'd like them to apply for Housing Benefit and CT benefit, I said yes. They did neither, I found out about this a month ago. The DWP then admitted they'd made a mistake and started paying my Housing Benefit but didn't pay the Council Tax Benefit.

My post is sporadic at my home address and so I use a correspondence address that the council is aware of and has sent many things too. However the Council Tax department claim they don't have that and have been sending reminders to my actual address - needless to say, I've not received them.

They've just issued a summons - the first I knew about this was when I got a text from them today telling me this! I've not physically received the summons yet.

I don't want to pay the £102 summons fee. I've just applied online for CT benefit. I can probably just about to afford to pay the £450 that they are demanding (although it would be a huge blow if I have to pay if I have to).

I can't make the court date as it is less than a week away.

Advice please:

Can I avoid paying the summons fee? If so how?

Can I ask for the court date to be deferred so I can attend in person?

Is there anything I can do to stop this action and then return to monthly payment?

Any advice gratefully received.

Nurselayer v Natwest - Settled in Full :D

Get straight onto your LA NOW!

Get your local councillors and MP on side and informed.

You'll be holding the DWP fully accountable, but first get in touch with your local MP/councillors.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

there is no real court hearing as such its a bulk rubberstamping exercise by a clerk.

you and the 100's of others in one go

have you spoken to the council direct and explained things?

you can come to a monthly arrangement with them over the £450

YOU should have applied for CT benefit the day you got ESA

not rely upon others

hopefully you have proof and it will be backdated

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi folks,

I've always paid my CT on time in the past. I recently went onto ESA and the DWP asked me if I'd like them to apply for Housing Benefit and CT benefit, I said yes. They did neither, I found out about this a month ago. The DWP then admitted they'd made a mistake and started paying my Housing Benefit but didn't pay the Council Tax Benefit.

My post is sporadic at my home address and so I use a correspondence address that the council is aware of and has sent many things too. However the Council Tax department claim they don't have that and have been sending reminders to my actual address - needless to say, I've not received them.

They've just issued a summons - the first I knew about this was when I got a text from them today telling me this! I've not physically received the summons yet.

I don't want to pay the £102 summons fee. I've just applied online for CT benefit. I can probably just about to afford to pay the £450 that they are demanding (although it would be a huge blow if I have to pay if I have to).

I can't make the court date as it is less than a week away.

Advice please:

Can I avoid paying the summons fee? If so how?

Can I ask for the court date to be deferred so I can attend in person?

Is there anything I can do to stop this action and then return to monthly payment?

Any advice gratefully received.

Unless you can show the council tax department were aware of the address then they have done so correctly by sending items to the last known address. You could challenge on the basis that another department had the information but that would rely on their goodwill.

You can ask the court to adjourn the hearing (or ask the council to to ask the court) but unless you can argue the address issue prevented valid service you have no valid defence against the order being granted - waiting for a benefit claim isn't a defence.

Council Tax Benefit no longer exists - it was replaced by Council Tax Reduction (Council tax Support) which is dealt with directly by the council - DWP will in some cases pass details on but that is only as a favour, there's no requirement for them to do so.