Finding out a company Unique Taxpayer Reference

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2198 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong forum. If so please tell me off mods and feel free to move the thread!

I need to find out the VAT code and the Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) of a company. I found the VAT code easy enough. Has anyone got any idea how I can find this UTR for a particular company?

Thanks.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thread moved to the appropriate forum...please continue to post here.

May be of interest to you.....

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?442706-17-digit-corporation-tax-reference-number-Query&highlight=Unique+Taxpayer+Reference

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Why do you need the UTR?.

Initially I was going to ask "Do companies even have a UTR", but I have found they are now being issued to limited companies.

https://www.1stformations.co.uk/blog/what-is-a-company-unique-taxpayer-reference-utr/

Is the company a limited one?. If not then its filings may be under the sole trader or partners' UTR's.

My limited company pre-dated this, and I'm not aware it has a company UTR (even if it does!) : The NI / PAYE / Corporation tax payments all get made with an allocated payment reference (which may incorporate a UTR, but I've never looked for a commonality, just made the payments in time using the payment reference).

Unless it is your company (when you can ask HMRC for the UTR or check for it on the filing documents sent by HMRC), I can't see why HMRC will provide it. If you wanted the UTR to report 'dodgy dealings' use the Ltd company's registered number, or the details of the individual (s) who are the sole trader or partners.

Thread moved to the appropriate forum...please continue to post here.

May be of interest to you.....

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?442706-17-digit-corporation-tax-reference-number-Query&highlight=Unique+Taxpayer+Reference

Regards

Andy

From that other thread:

So actually as you can see its only the first 10 digits that are required - incidentally the 11 is a check digit so probably needs to be included as well. The remaining 6 digits (only 5 are relevant since 6 is a check digit) are used to indicate the tax year.

I pay online using the Santander Billpayment, which records the first 11 characters for me and only prompts me for the last 6, I always use '00123A' on the end (because I can never find a payslip) and my corporation tax is always accepted.

Perhaps the first 11 characters of the corp tax payment reference are the UTR?. I have to disagree about recycling the last 6 though ; I did this once by mistake (I looked at old paperwork when checking for the payment reference). A few months later I got a notification through saying the payment had been allocated to the correct year, but technically it had been allocated to the wrong year first, and I could I please use the correct reference to avoid risking being fined for late payment!.

Andy,

thanks for sorting out the correct forum.

I'm not talking about any company of mine here.

I need to find out the VAT code and the UTR of a certain company, Depuy International Limited in Leeds. VAT codes are in the public domain and easily findable. UTR codes seem not to be and I wondered if anyone knows how you go about finding out a company UTR code. Thanks.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Can you tell us why you need the UTR please? There could be another way to do this.

HB

Honeybee, BazzaS,

thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I'm in a bit of a rush now but will be back on the forum this evening to explain. The logic is a little "torturous" so I need a moment to explain properly. Thanks again.

Right, to try to explain. I work out of the country, in Italy, as a private English teacher.

Recently a local lawyer asked me to do a translation from Italian to English. It was the equivalent of an (extremely long) Letter Before Action, and in Italy even an LBA has to be deposited at the local court.

This is simply work for me, I don't know any of the people involved. However, it involves a local person who had a hip implant. The hip implant started to leak metals into their blood. After some years of this they had to have a second operation to remove the implant and have a new one inserted, which seems a pretty dreadful process. Understandably they want compensation. I see the manufacturer removed the faulty implants from the market in 2010 and has been involved in countless compensation claims.

The lawyer is an expert in his own field but knows nothing about UK systems, and asked if I would look up some things.

Now we get to the Alice In Wonderland nonsense of the Italian bureaucracy.

Apparently to take legal action against a company in an Italian court you have to quote

- the company's proper address

- the company's VAT code

- the company's tax code.

The address is easy. The VAT code quite easy. But the stumbling block is this Unique Taxpayer Reference which doesn't seem to be in the public domain.

Until I started looking this morning I didn't know a UTR existed!

Any ideas of where/how to find this info.?

Many thanks.

Hi

If you want a wee bit more info on the company i.e. Annual report and financial statements, have a wee look at this link:

http://www.bizdb.co.uk/company/depuy-international-limited-03319712/

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi

This link will also be of interest as it has a list of Judgements:

http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/lucy_search_1.cgi?results=200&highlight=1&method=boolean&query=(DePuy)%20AND%20(International)%20AND%20(Limited)&sort=rank&mask_path=/

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

the VAT number is alos known as TURN which stands for Trader Unique Reference Number and is need for CHIEF, which is the import and export tariff "book" so essentially the italians are asking for the same thing twice. I'm sure they will be happier to have the companies House registration number. In Italy they have massive problems with tax fraud so they make businesses put their tax code on every receipt and the pesron buying stuff isnt allowed to throw the receipt away immediately as it can be demanded for inspection.

“The company’s tax code (UTR) is confidential. Their VAT Registration number is public information and is (yyyyyyyyyyy)

In place of their confidential UTR we can provide their public company registration number, and it is (xxxxxxxxxxxxx)”

Thanks EB (and everyone else), in fact in the end the lawyer is using the Companies House code. Thanks again.

You should have said from the start that wonderland was involved.

Bureaucracy in the third world country they call Italy is a real mess and before someone starts shouting "racist", i have Italian blood and lived in wonderland for a few years, then i ran away from that nonsense.

A court case for medical negligence will last not less than 15 years if disputed.