style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2195 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning All,

Not so much an issue, more asking for clarification. I work for a retailer plc (2.5 years) and recently a member of staff left leaving a vacancy on my department. I am already experienced and have been using ex colleagues system to keep the role afloat whilst we find a new member of staff. I have applied for the role, as I am already au fait with the role and assisted the ex colleague since I started. I applied before the deadline, I know of another colleague from another store has applied (she has no experience on the department I work), however the role has now been advertised externally yesterday, they didn't do this with recent roles where only two applied internally. My Supervisor said I am ideal and would back me all the way. I am just confused, as I am experienced, I have qualification in the background that assists in the role and a passion for the product. Totally lost on this...

Edited by LongHairedLily
Poor spelling

Company policy is usually to advertise it to everyone in order to make it a fair recruitment drive. That doesnt mean they dont already have a candidate lined up ready for the role, but its to show that theyre advertising it

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I would call the hiring manager and ask for a chat; outline your enthusiasm and experience and ask if anything is changing in the role. What sort of person are they looking for. etc.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Thanks Renegadeimp..When the role became available the Manager had mentioned to my Supervisor he had someone in mind i.e the lady from the other store. She said to him, but you have someone already under your nose who is ideal, to which he relied who? Not sure if he is not in tune with his own staff or focussed on this other person.

He wont have cut them personally. That would have come from HR or head office. Its become the norm in retail now. Less staff to do more work for the same cost.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

You're not going to know unless you have a conversation and ask for feedback. They may be looking for someone more assertive.... Shying away from a conversation won't help.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

many companies do this to fulfi the equal opportunities commitments and also to see who else applies as there may be someone out there who is ideal but thy would never know if they didnt advertise. This doesnt mean that you have been ruled out at the moment, I would think that even if there isnt some other candidate they would want to interview rather than just make it a shoo in

Ethel Street. Not sure what he is looking for, none of the staff are able to read his mind.

Emmzzi: I actually haven't been in since Monday due back in Saturday as in previous post he's cut my hours...I wouldn't describe myself as not assertive, I never shy from awkward conversations.

Ericsbrother: I agree, to be honest I would rather fight for the role and win it fair and square than anything else.

Nowadays it's very rare to promote someone without advertising the vacancy, even if they already know who's getting the job.

Imagine if it was the other way around: you wanted a position but instead of advertising and giving you a chance they just give it to someone else.

Grossly unfair you would say.

Apply for the position and go through the process, if you get it well done, if not it will have to be next time.

To be promoted you need a bit of luck as well as being the best for the role, that's what I've seen in my years of employment.