Dishwasher installed with broken pipe

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2200 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a Kewood dishwasher delvered. As the men bought it in after disconnecting and removing my old one I noticed they has managed to deliver it or break on delivery the waste pipe.

They connected to my original pipework so that I was not without a washer but my son pointed out it would leak which it has done and it needs towels to soak up the water. He has been employed in and has experience of this trade. I paid £50 for installation and removal.

I signed the delivery form as being received broken. I emailed Currys about it

I have had to chase Curries and have had two 'no shows' trying to get this machine fixed. The first visit was marked as complete although nobody turned up.

Where do I go from here? Tell them to refund my money and pick up their machine or get a partial refund and compensation? What is the best route?

Edited by DragonFly1967
Added spacing

The Baron

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men"

~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox

When you say the waste pipe, are you referring to a pipe which is part of the dishwasher or a pipe which is part of your plumbing installation?

Also please could you give us the dates that all of this has happened

I ended up having to go all the way to a Court hearing before Curry's compensated me for being messed around beyond belief over delivery of a washing machine, they didn't respond to anything until I actually issued proceedings.

How long is it since the machine was delivered? Do you have anything from Curry's accepting that the machine was damaged prior to delivery? What solution would you prefer - repair, replacement or your money back?

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

The machine was bought 23.2.18 and delivered 27.2.18

The pipe is the machine waste pipe.

They were due 6th March to replace it. No show.

I phoned 7th March and arranged today 13th. No show.

I signed their delivery note as it having a broken waste pipe

The Baron

~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Thank you.

So the contract was made less than 30 days ago. Under the consumer rights act if a defect materialises within 30 days then you are entitled to invoke your short-term right to reject.

This means that you are entitled to a refund or repair – at your option.

You have to assert the right and you do that by writing to them – do it by recorded delivery letter and also by email – and tell them that the machine has a defect and it is within the 30 day period and say you are invoking your short-term right to reject under the consumer rights act.

Decide whether you want a refund or repair. Frankly I think you've given them enough chance and so you should insist that they take away and give you your money back. Currys have a rotten reputation for this kind of thing and their poor customer service and I should stay well away from them if I were you. We have lots of complaints about curries on this forum. We have scarcely one about John Lewis.

Start counting up losses in terms of the inconvenience to you and also any inconvenience suffered as a result of broken appointments.

Don't expect it to be easy. The only thing that Currys are good at is about fighting you when you are trying to assert your consumer rights.

Keep us informed and we will help you all the way. Currys need a slap

Incidentally, don't get led into protracted correspondence or starting to accept excuses or prevarication from Currys which will simply drag the whole thing out until you get fatigued. Take control and make sure that it is you who lays down the time schedules and the terms upon which Currys will remedy their breach of contract.

If it comes to it, are you prepared to issue a small claim in the County Court? Unfortunately all too often this is the only way with Currys but once they get the court papers then things start to happen pretty quickly. Your chances of success would be much better than 95%

Incidentally, don't get led into protracted correspondence or starting to accept excuses or prevarication from Currys which will simply drag the whole thing out until you get fatigued. Take control and make sure that it is you who lays down the time schedules and the terms upon which Currys will remedy their breach of contract.

If it comes to it, are you prepared to issue a small claim in the County Court? Unfortunately all too often this is the only way with Currys but once they get the court papers then things start to happen pretty quickly. Your chances of success would be much better than 95%

Yes, I will take them to Court if I have to.

Is there an Ombudsman that you get to mediate. Just thinking in case it is a step yoh need to take.

The Baron

~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox

No. There is no mediator.

Have you sent off your letter yet?

Have you decided whether you want a replacement, or refund, or you are prepared to accept it being repaired? These are decisions you need to make now – but of course as I have explained earlier it is a matter of your choice.

I have tried to effect a better repair than the fix they put in. Something that should be easy with the right equipment. However the pipe is plastic and not rubber and will not seal properly. If it had I would have gone for compensation for the mess. Having to remove this machine is ripping our flooring. So the only option is removal and get our money back.

I am in the process of writing now.

The Baron

~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox

If you have tried your own repair, then I hope there is no evidence of it. Also, do not mention at all that you have tried your own repair. You may feel that you need to do this in an attempt to show goodwill or that you are cooperative. Believe me if you do this, they will abuse your trust and they will use it as a basis for saying that it has nothing to do with them.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I tend to agree that this might have been a better approach. It would have made things easier – although it doesn't affect the rights of the matter.

They had removed my dishwasher to install the new one.

They installed the pipe fix. I have only tried to stop the leak. Remember I have had 2 no shows from engineers who were upposed to be here.

Anyway I emailed them a short term rejection letter. They sent an engineer yesterday (15th) who confirmed thatythe machine cannot be repaired as the pipe is integral with the casing. A new machine has been orderedfor delivery tomorrow. I am phoning them in a moment to confirm that the right hand knows what the left hand is doing then i will email them to keep a record of what is happening.

I will also tell them that until this is finished and compensated the 30 day still stands.

The Baron

~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Well you are making progress so well done. This is pretty good going with curry's poor customer service.

I agree that you should be claiming some compensation, but what do you consider your losses are – and very importantly, what you prepared to do about getting it if they refuse – which is quite likely?

Well, as I am disabled we paid them £50 to install this machine.

We have had 2 no shows. One of them caused by the engineer claiming he had fitted the pipe when in fact he had not come.

Having to attend to the leak has caused the flowtex carpet to rip allowing water under the carpet.

30 minute phone calls trying to sort something out.

They have ****ed me off.

A new machine is due tomorrow.

Evidently half the problem is that the machine and engineers come from Kenwood and there is lousy communication

The Baron

~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Okay. The £50 installation fee won't be recoverable because they will be installing the new one.

The two no-shows should be compensated but in order to calculate what it might be worth, you need to tell us more about it and what the inconvenience was to you.

I don't really understand about the carpet ripping and water going under the carpet. Have you mentioned this before? Please can you tell us all about it and the cost of the damage to the carpet.

30 minutes phone calls can be compensated – what do you think they cost you.

I can tell you now that in order to get a compensation which will satisfy you – maybe a couple of hundred quid, you will certainly have to threaten and then bring a legal action. I might already have said it – but here it is again. Currys are hopeless but they really get going when it comes to resisting honouring their responsibilities.

However, if you wanted to start small claim on this I can almost guarantee you that if you claim for a reasonable amount then they will put their hands up and pay you out plus costs rather than go to court.

I'm guessing at the couple of hundred quid. I would have thought that would be the very top once I hear from you in response to my questions then I can give you a better idea what might be a manageable claim which will be big enough to satisfy you and small enough that they would rather put their hands up

Ok. New dishwasher installed. I must point out that my wife paid £50 out of consideration of myself. I am disabled, I and on sticks, I cannot kneel but being an ex-engineer she knows I would have tried to fit it. As it turned out I spent more time scrabbling around trying to fix the leak than if I had fitted it myself.

We spent two days waiting for these engineers. Also one day was ticked of as a visit and job completed so if I hadn't got on the phone I would still be waiting

The carpet was ripped because of having to move the machine and the leak let the water under the carpet.

I will ring them on Monday and let you know the outcome. It may not get anywhere but at least others will learn from this. It is a pity we cannot tell them before they go to Currys.

The Baron

~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox

I wouldn't call them until you have calculated exactly what it is you are asking for – and what you are prepared to do if you don't get it.

People who go off phoning companies like Currys asking for some kind of gesture for inadequate service and without having a plan, are basically placing a naïve trust that the company will want to treat their customers with respect and want to acknowledge their failings.

This doesn't happen. Currys is particularly bad. When there was Dixons as well – they were just as bad.

Are you saying that your wife paid a second £50 installation fee? Also, you would haven't told us very much about the carpet. Have you taken photographs of the rip and of the water damage? You should be doing this. Please tell us about the damage to the carpet and the cost of replacement. Also, before you start thinking of telephoning – read our customer services guide. However don't phone until you have a plan – and then probably don't phone anyway. Everything in writing.

No. We paid one installation charge. I note however that Currys is advertising free installation and removal.

I think my phone has a recording facility.

The Baron

~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox

You will have to show that Currys were advertising the free installation at the time you ordered the machine. Strictly speaking you would have to show that you expressly accepted that – but it probably won't be necessary to go that far. Why did you pay the installation charge if it was being advertised as a free service?

Did you buy the machine online? Or in their shop?

Please will you address the question about the carpet

Ok. The Result.

Currys have returned £82 based on 10% off the purchase price, £50 instalation fee and £20 for the 2 missed visits. We have accepted it. I could have argued more but I think we have a moral victory.

On my first phone call the bloke started to give me the runaround and when I pulled him up the line suddenly went dead. I rang back and mentioned it to a different operator but said, "It's ok as I have the call recorded.

After that there was no problem. Currys have just rung me back for bank and card details for the payment.

I have a BT4600 which has a call record facility

The Baron

~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Good. Well done. That's probably not a bad settlement given that he didn't have to go to any further trouble to get it. I hope it really does cover your losses but in the meantime I think the lesson is to go to John Lewis. I think we've scarcely ever had a complaint about John Lewis in 13 years on this forum.

Unfortunately, it was my beloved who chose them. I normally use an independent supplier near us but we happened to be in Worcester and went in to window shop really.

I would not touch Currys with a bargepole.

The Baron

~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox