Self employed and paying 6 months in advance. Coming up to renewal

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2227 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In simple terms i'm self employed and have been here since october 2010, up till October 2016 the tenancy was not in my name and was paid monthly but they moved out so at this point the landlord agreed for me to pay 6 months in advance because I was unable to prove enough earnings due to being self employed.

I have renewed twice paying the 6 months in advance again so 18 months total but this time they want to put the rent up £300 a year and are asking me to pay £60 in advance to reserve. I'll be honest its doable but its a real struggle this time finding over £4k. Logically it should be no different to paying monthly but it just doesnt seem to be feel like that. Flat will need decorating if he wants to find a new tenant I think.

Now ive been here nearly 8 years and in that time ive had nothing done, its all starting to look a bit tired in here. But I think ive been a good tenant, im not Hyacinth by any means but ive not trashed the place at the same time and the rents always been paid etc.

I guess what im wondering is where I stand legally if I want to stay on?, I know that usually an agreement goes periodic but how does this work with 6 months paid? If I dont renew will it just carry on as is?

Ideally i'd like the reduce the amount due and increase the payments per year, even quarterly would be better than 6 monthly. Surely if it goes periodic they could allow a bit of room on how often payments are due?. I did pay a huge deposit.

I'm just sure even if they did agree to change it there would be a huge fee for drawing up a new agreement.

I have about 6 weeks so I need to get this in order I think.

Have pasted the email minus sensitive info.

As your current tenancy is due to be reviewed on ...Late April 2018 we are delighted to inform you that you landlord is offering you a further fixed term of 12 months at a rental of £@@@ payable in advance half-yearly for the term.

In order to secure your new fixed term tenancy term please call us on 00000000000. There will be a charge of £60.00 (inc VAT) required to cover the cost of this service which can be made via debit card.

We are also available should you need to discuss any changes to the proposed terms, our office hours are Monday to Friday 9am to 5.30pm.

Should you be intending to vacate your property at the end of the current tenancy term then please email confirmation of this to email address including details of your forwarding address.

if you dont respond you will continue on in a periodic tenancy, paying the same rent as now. As you are paying your rent why would your landlord want to spend good money trying to chuck you out just so a lettings agency can make £60?

If you want to py monthly like mosy fo the rest of the country then you accept a new tenancy that lats a minimum of a year. You havent actually told us much about why it is paid 6 months in advance, there wont be am agreement anywher that confirms this as you have already told us it was a normal monthly payment. The LL will accept this because they have little choice so start paying monthly. If you cant afford the new terms offered (ignoring their fee) then you will be looking for somewhere else anyway so no skin off your nose to say you are going periodic at the current rent untlil the LL does something to force the issue