• Tweets

• The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
    • Doubt the uneconomic write off would be registered, unless you agreed to accept write off settlement of the claim. It is just cosmetic damage. All that has happened, is that the car has been looked at and they realised the repair costs are going to exceed the value of the car. If the car is perfectly driveable with no upcoming normal work required to pass next MOT, your current Insurers will continue Insurance and you can accept an amount from third party Insurers to go towards you repairing the scratched bodywork.    
    • Peter McCormack says the huge investment by the twins will help Real Bedford build a new ground.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Got CCJ due to council and bank blunder!!- what compo should i ask for?

jayu619
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2159 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi!

I am new on this forum and would love some advice/guidance in what I can do.

Here is the back story where the dates become quite important:

I own a council property, and have done so for many years.

SO set up to pay service charges to council every month of £88.96. This was setup in March 2011.

Any under payments were always taken care of by a cheque at the end of the year to bring account back in line.

Fast forwarding to 2017,

the council have found that there was non-payment of SC between the period Jul 2017 to Dec 2017.

And in light of this period of non-payment, the council also found that there was non-payment between Aug 2016 and Dec 2016.

The council have said several letters were sent to my correspondence address (different to my rental property), but I never received any of the letters.

If I had, I would have made payment as the funds were there.

as a result, council took action in the form of legal proceedings to recover these payments.

And subsequently, a CCJ was issued in June 2017.

However, the court paperwork/summons were being sent to my rental property by the councils' solicitors, despite council providing my correspondence address

(I have email confirmation council even admitting to this).

So I had no knowledge of the CCJ in the first instance.

Only last month,

my family and I were trying to buy a house and upon doing credit checks,

I found this CCJ to be in existence, 6 months after it had been issued.

I contacted the council,

who have said that they investigate and found payments were being made - by my bank as a SO ( bank statements also show this) but there was no payment reference attached to the SO's in order to correctly attribute any SC payments to my SC account.

Monies were being held in a suspense account.

All those 10 payments for the 2 periods above, were to have been received just without a reference to payment.

I immediately, contacted the bank and asked what on earth happened and opened a complaint and told them I have received a CCJ.

They investigated, and advised me that:

in Aug 2016, previous SO (Mar 2011 to June 2016) was cancelled and a new SO setup in Aug 2016, just as when the arrears started.

no reference was put in place when new SO was setup.

I only went to the bank on Jan 10 2018 to put this in place.

In light of the above, I never have gone to the bank to change any SO details because that bank account was only in relation to rental income and outgoings.

there was no reason for me to go and change any details/payments of something I had in place since Mar 2011.

But the main question is, what on earth happened between Jan 2017 and Jun 2017?

As far as I am concerned, the council received payments with reference; which is what I asked the bank.

They could not confirm nor deny this was the case other than a payment reference being put in on Jan 10 2018. Sounds very bizarre.

Both the council and bank were not helping in the documents I wanted.

There I did the following:

Under SAR - from the council, I requested all info held on me regarding the CCJ as well as bank ledger showing payments being received by the council with payment reference in the middle period and not both periods either side; AND

Under SAR - from the bank, I have asked the bank provide detailed info of all my SO's between Aug 16 and Jan 18, as well as any proof of documentation me making a change to my SO back in Aug 2016.

Both are still pending and should be received no later than 2nd April 2018 under the statutory time limit.

And any arrears outstanding were paid immediately by cheque to bring SC account back in line.

However, my main question is,

who can I claim for compensation - either parties or both?

And for how much?

is has left me in such a pickle because I lost a house in the process to purchase and to buy a car on finance for my business.

And my insurance will be soon come for renewal which will undoubtedly be affected.

Council have admitted the blunder, but not apologized, and have got in touch with their solicitor who admitted liability and will be bearing costs to take CCJ off.

Do I have a claim directly against solicitor or do I have to go through council as ultimately, its their client...?

As a side note, I have started a complaint through council complaints procedure, which is at stage 1 - decision of first investigation to be made by March 19th 2018.

I have also opened a complaint with bank which recently closed because they were offering a mere £350 then £500 as compensation, to which I declined.

Only because it felt like they were trying to close the complaint as quickly as possible in order to just satisfy my problem. I am not done with them.

Sorry for the long winded post but wanted to cover everything.

Any help/advice or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

​​​​​​​Jay

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

slightly retitled and moved to general legal forum.

did you lose the house purchase because the CCJ was there?

and the same for the car purchase

a ccj shouldnt effect insurance unless you want 12mts pyment plans

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

thank you :)

I lost the house purchase yes - that is the only reason how I found out about the CCJ in early January, when CCJ was issued in June 2017.

And the same for car purchase - which I was going to do soon after buying the house, but was not able to due to CCJ being found.

I want them to pay compensation - both parties. But I do not know who to go after. I thought about going after solicitors as they would have indemnity insurance but I don't think I can. Again no legal expert here...

Thanks

you can go after both council and bank directly.

theres someone here that got £1000's

forget the name sorry

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I just want to rehearse my understanding of what has happened here.

For several years you had and establish standing order going out to pay certain bills.

For reasons which have not been explained yet, your bank cancel the standing order and then set them up again but this time failed to put a reference number. (Is it correct that the bank cancelled the SO without your instruction?)

Because the money was received by the council without any reference number, they couldn't allocate the money to your account and so they considered that you were failing to pay and going into arrears.

They instructed their solicitors who wrote to you at an address which they had on file but which was not your correspondence address. However they did have your correspondence address on file as well and they had provided this to the solicitor.

The solicitor has now admitted liability and is taking steps to have the CCJ removed.

These are the facts as they relate to the various liabilities in the matter.

As a result of the various mistakes made, your ability to obtain credit has been compromised and you have even lost the purchase of a property.

Please can you confirm that what I have outlined above is correct or else can you briefly correct anything that I have not understood.

It would be helpful if you would post up the solicitor's letter in which he admits liability. You can redact your identifiers.

Please would you let us know which bank we are talking about.

By the way, I see that you have a Hotmail address. I'm afraid that we have lots of instances of our notifications not reaching Hotmail because various blocks have been put in place against us.

Good evening,

Sorry for the late reply. I was at work and just got in and immediately checked this.

So in answer to your questions, I will place mine in red next to yours:

For several years you had and establish standing order going out to pay certain bills - correct. The only bills going out from this specific bank account are Service Changes to council and Mortgage payments. And then rental income coming in. That is it.

For reasons which have not been explained yet, your bank cancel the standing order and then set them up again but this time failed to put a reference number. (Is it correct that the bank cancelled the SO without your instruction?) - according o the bank, no one apart from me changed the SO - so cancelled the Mar 2011 to Jul 2016 which had reference. Aug 2016 onwards, new SO was setup but without a reference. I definitely had no reason to cancel or amend it. Bank are saying I set up new SO without reference and only put on a reference when I went into branch Jan 10 2018. However, council pay confirmations say otherwise - Aug 2016 to Dec 2016, payments made with no reference; Jan 2017 to Jul 2017 payments made with reference; and Aug 2017 to Dec 2017 payments made with no reference.

Because the money was received by the council without any reference number, they couldn't allocate the money to your account and so they considered that you were failing to pay and going into arrears. - correct. And they followed procedures to take court action.

They instructed their solicitors who wrote to you at an address which they had on file but which was not your correspondence address. However they did have your correspondence address on file as well and they had provided this to the solicitor. - correct.But for clarity - council initiated court action. I have an email from the council saying that their solicitors made the mistake because solicitors were sending court summons to rental property and not correspondence address - council mistake. Council provided correspondence address to solicitors when instructing them to take me to court. What annoyed me most was that the legal department for leasehold collections, the rep did not want to help - her answer to every question I had was answered with, I cannot answer any more questions about your CCJ. You will receive a letter once payments clear. but I said that you were the one who initiated court action, if not you, then who on earth do I ask?! I have made a complaint against her to the council in any case.

The solicitor has now admitted liability and is taking steps to have the CCJ removed. - correct. For clarity, I had no dealing with the council solicitors. Been dealing with the council directly who've informed me of their mistake and that the solicitors will bear the costs for removal of CCJ.

These are the facts as they relate to the various liabilities in the matter. - correct.

As a result of the various mistakes made, your ability to obtain credit has been compromised and you have even lost the purchase of a property. - correct

Please can you confirm that what I have outlined above is correct or else can you briefly correct anything that I have not understood.

It would be helpful if you would post up the solicitor's letter in which he admits liability. You can redact your identifiers. - I just have the email correspondence with the council collections officer who contacted the solicitor, who in turn confirmed to me in writing that their solicitors made a mistake. Would you like to see? I've had no dealing with the council solicitors. I even asked if I can contact them directly, the collection officer apparently spoke to the council senior solicitor who advised to go through the council. Is that correct? Or can I go directly to the solicitors?

Please would you let us know which bank we are talking about. - Lloyds Bank.

Please let em know if you need any more info from me. And I would like to really say a MASSIVE thank you for taking the time to help me with this query.

Jay

By the way, I see that you have a Hotmail address. I'm afraid that we have lots of instances of our notifications not reaching Hotmail because various blocks have been put in place against us.

Hi

Sorry - I didn't fully get that bit. But do you mean, when I receive replies as such, I won't get email notifications sent to me as I am using hotmail?

Thanks,

Jay

Hi

Sorry - I didn't fully get that bit. But do you mean, when I receive replies as such, I won't get email notifications sent to me as I am using hotmail?

Thanks,

Jay

it's not unusual for people with Hotmail addresses or Gmail addresses not to receive notifications. If you are receiving them then fine. If you aren't then either you will have to change your email address or else you will have to keep a watching eye on this thread.

You can contact whoever you want. There are no rules preventing you contacting the solicitor. Of course the solicitor may refuse to communicate with you and say that you have to go through his client. I can imagine that because he is in the frame, he will be reluctant to cooperate with you in any kind of communication. I suggest that you send the solicitor an SAR. I suggest also that you send the council an SAR to get all the information you can about this including copies of their communications with the solicitor. Do this immediately. It will cost £10 fee for each SAR which you sent by way of a cheque so that you can keep certain eye open on the process of your application.

It would help also if you wouldn't produce your answers in that way after each when my questions. I find it rather difficult to follow. Abbreviated/shorthand sentences are also unhelpful.

Please could you explain what you have set out above in your response to my question about the bank having cancelled your standing order. It's really isn't clear to me.

I do gather though, that the bank have said various things to you about the way the standing order was treated. Has this been said to on the telephone or do you have this in writing?

The bank say that it was you who cancelled the standing order and then set up a new one later on but without reference number. If this was done then presumably it was done online so there would be no paper record. I wonder if the banks computers store a trail. I imagine they must do. I then you should send the bank an SAR as well.

When you have been dealing with the council, is this in writing or on the telephone?

Hi!

Firstly, apologies for copying your questions and answering them. Won't do that any more!

1. I will ask for info held by the solicitors after I've sent this post, by way of SAR.

2. I have asked the council for it - they have until 2nd April to reply. From them, I requested - all info relating to my CCJ, payment/bank ledger of all payments received by council bank (namely to check the reference issue for 2 periods of non-payment and then the middle period with reference), as well as any mandate sent to me and signed by me to change SO, if any.

3. I have also started stage 1 complaints procedure with the council. Thir head of leasehold department is investigating and will get me a decision of his findings by 19th March, next week Monday.

4. I have initiated a complaint with Lloyds - which got closed on Friday last week, because I declined their offer of £500 compensation. I have repeatedly asked the bank for SO details for each and every SO payment made to beneficiary council account, specifically SO payment details including payment reference. It felt like they just wanted to close complaint and be done with it. As a result...

5. ...I have sent an SAR to the bank over the weekend just gone, requesting all SO payment details between Aug 16 to Jan 18 aswell as proof of SO being changed back in Aug 2016 (hoping they have some sort of paper trail).

So far I have not had to pay the £10 processing fee. And apparently law is changing from May where no more £10 fee applies.

6. Sorry about the unclear answer. Hoping this helps. Bank are claiming that the existing SO started in March 2011 was cancelled and then in August 2016, a new one was setup. For 5 years, the 2011 SO had a reference but when the new one was setup, no reference was placed. But what is weird is that, according to the council payments/records, payments made between Aug 16 to Dec and Jul 2017 and Dec 2017, had no reference.

It begs the question, what about the period in between (Jan 2017 to Jun 2017)?? Council said they received those payments with a reference.

when I popped into the branch in Jan 10 2018, when the CCJ came to light, the bank clerk advised me that no reference was set up at all since Aug 2016 when new SO was created, so he went ahead and placed it there and then.

Conflicting stories between what the council and bank are saying about these payments.

Did that make more sense?

7. Bank correspondence was all done through the telephone as I had a complaint agent assigned to me, who apparently was noting everything down on what I said and what h'e said to me. Since the complaint has now been closed, I am waiting for their response before I can write to them to take the matter further, which I plan to do in writing. Having spoken to Lloyds over the phone up until now, is that a problem?

8. When dealing with the council, It has been via email. All of which I have saved and printed to use as a basis of my complaint to the council.

I hope that answers your questions. If not, please let me know what else you would like to know.

Thanks,

Jay

Edited by dx100uk

The telephone conversations you have had with your bank and others means that you have no evidence of anything that was said or anything that was admitted. Although they told you they were taking notes, you have no control over the quality of the notes and of course you don't seem to have any of your own notes of these conversations. You're acting purely on your recollection. You're putting an awful lot of trust in the very institutions that have let you down and now have an interest in backing away and defending the corner.

Please read our customer services guide. Don't have any more telephone calls unless you have implemented the advice there – although it may now be too late to have similar conversations again.

You may feel that your SARs are well targeted in terms of the material you want, but you can't be sure and if there is an interest in the bank or the council in frustrating your attempts to find out what is going on then they may well be very careful about complying exactly with your requirements but fully aware that there is other material available which you have not specifically asked for, therefore allowing them to escape the boundaries of your SAR.

I suppose this sounds as if I'm a conspiracy theorist but I've been dealing with people on the CAG for far too long and also I've had dealings with Lloyds bank personally and I know that you have to be very careful of these people. Lloyds in particular is thoroughly dishonest. I would suggest that you word your SARs far more generally and risk getting too much information rather than too little.

Presumably after you've had these phone calls with these institutions, you have another thought to write to them and confirm the details of the conversation in hardcopy. Once again you have missed the opportunity to sit down a proper paper trail which could be of use to you when you start having to get into the real conflict of the matter.

As far as I can see, the root cause of the problem is your bank. This is probably quite a good thing because Lloyds bank will be the easiest to attack and you have good legislation behind you to attack them with – assuming that you have a better go to the trouble.

The council are so big and they are so unaccountable because they are simply spending other people's money that they will do everything they can to frustrate you. They won't particular try to win. They will simply try to frustrate you. Probably the best thing to do in terms of complaining to the council is to begin a complaint to the local authority ombudsman as quickly as possible. Don't necessarily expect this to get you anywhere that at least it will move things along.

You certainly should be complaining about the solicitor and possibly targeting them for some kind of legal action – but your bank will be the easiest thing to do to begin with.

Let's see what happens after you send the SAR to the sister. The solicitor might refuse to comply on the basis that he is not the data processor. We will have to see. If it becomes difficult to deal with then you should be considering complaining to the Solicitors Regulation Authority although that won't be particularly easy and it certainly won't be quick.

I'm sorry to seem dense but I'm afraid that I'm still having difficulty understanding the chronology of your explanation at .6.

How about putting it down in a bullet pointed chronology beginning with each date.

I'm trying to tease out the story from the account you have given. This is what I have so far:

• March 2011 standing order set up
  • ??? Standing order cancelled (bank says it was you)
  • August 2016 new standing order was set up with no reference (the bank says that this was done by you as well)
  • January 2017 to June 2017 (six months) council received standing order payments with reference!
  • January 2018 missing reference added after your visit to the bank

Is this correct? Is the mystery that from August 2016 to January 2018 standing order payments were made with no reference number but mysteriously during that time there were six months of payments with a reference number.

Also, is it true that during this period of about 18 months the council was generally receiving payments which were unattributable so that they simply put them into a suspension account and at no time for to contact the bank to query what was happening and I have the payments stopped and to return the money or to discover the owner of the account which is paying it.

Hello

Thank you - I appreciate you saying it how it is. Its frustrating to be dealing with these companies and institutions because I've never been in such a situation. And now that I have after 55 years of being in existence, I am doing what I can.

So regarding the complaint or correspondence with Lloyds - the complaints manager said they will be sending their response to me by post as to what they found and offred as a way of compensation etc etc...which is when I can respond to take it further. I guess I wait for this to come now? Probably will arrive tomorrow.

Would it be worth doing an SAR for this complaint and what they have on their system? Presumably they record everything, I can ask for recordings should troubles lay ahead...? I'm sorry for being naive, but I have no experience in these matters so kinda going off what I see in the movies lol.

Noted on the guide. I have installed a recorder on my phone.

So going back to speaking to Lloyds by phone, I have a complaint file number and the chap I spoke to - will that help should I request an SAR about my complaint?

Currently as my SARs stand and described above - will they be enough? Or should I ask for more information?

So the Ombudsman is the route I wanted to go down. However, I read that in order to go down LGO, I have to exhaust council complaints procedure. I am on stage 1 which will come to an end Monday 19th March. I think there were 3 stages before I can go to the ombudsman and I highlighted that to the council complaint letter that I am not hopeful the council will do anything to help, so I will be looking to contact LGO...

Should I also go down the route of FOS? I heard they can be pretty useless...

I am ready to take whoever I need to take to court. But my gut feeling is that the bank messed up and they are tryig to wash their hands off the problem as quickly as possible. I told the complaints handler at lloyds that I am not going to accept a mere £500, instead I am looking upwards of £50k for the problems they've put me in. And told him in a polite manner that I don't care whether or not he thinks its reasonable or not, but the fact that Lloyds are trying to sweep my complaint under the carpet, really says they are hiding something.

And noted about SRA - I will keep you posted.

So regarding point 6, I will put it in time line order:

1. Original SO was setup in March 2011 and carried on being paid for the same amount of £88.96, which always had a payment reference. No issues of missed payments/being in arrears.

2. Fast forward to August 2016, apparently I stopped the original SO and setup a new SO in Aug 2016, with no payment reference in order for the council to allocate the money to my Service Charge account.

3. When the CCJ came to light in Jan 2018,I personally went to the bank to see what was going on. Bank clerk told me that the new SO set up in Aug 2016 had no payment reference, so he put it on for me - my visit to the bank was on Jan 10 2018, this year.

4. it becomes weird, because the council are telling me they never received payments with a payment reference between Aug 2016 and Dec 2016 and Jul 2017 and Dec 2017....but received payment with payment reference between Jan 2017 to Jun 2017. So on that basis, bank would be liable because I never instructed them to take off the payment reference, only to put it back on, and then to take it back off. And then put it back on Jan 10 2018. Conflicting stories between bank vs council.

I hope the above made some sense?

Thanks

Jay

I'm trying to tease out the story from the account you have given. This is what I have so far:

• March 2011 standing order set up
  • ??? Standing order cancelled (bank says it was you)
  • August 2016 new standing order was set up with no reference (the bank says that this was done by you as well)
  • January 2017 to June 2017 (six months) council received standing order payments with reference!
  • January 2018 missing reference added after your visit to the bank

Is this correct? Is the mystery that from August 2016 to January 2018 standing order payments were made with no reference number but mysteriously during that time there were six months of payments with a reference number.

Also, is it true that during this period of about 18 months the council was generally receiving payments which were unattributable so that they simply put them into a suspension account and at no time for to contact the bank to query what was happening and I have the payments stopped and to return the money or to discover the owner of the account which is paying it.

OK - you've hit the nail on the head with your above understanding! Sorry it took forever.

** Standing Order supposedly cancelled in Aug 2016 and immediately, a new one set up when the old one was cancelled.

And yes, payments were being received and about 10 payments went into suspense account. And no effort was made to investigate where and who it came fro. The only time they investigated was when I questioned the CCJ - I have the council first email stating where they investigated and found my payments.

Thank you. It's becoming a little less muddy – but only a little.

I'm having difficulty getting my head round the fact that these unidentified payments were being made for about 18 months but suddenly for six months payments were made with a reference. I think it is extremely important that we try to understand what happened here because this is very damning evidence that somebody – probably the bank – was in possession of the information but didn't apply it. It almost sounds to me as if there were two standing orders in place, one with a reference and one without a reference.

I see that in your first post you were asking about the level of compensation. Like site team member DX, I can't remember the name of the case in which there was an action for an incorrect credit file entry which had caused difficulty in getting credit but also the loss of an opportunity to buy a property.

The compensation award was quite substantial – although someone told me that it had been altered on appeal. I will try to find the name of the case we can have a look at the judge's reasoning when calculating the various heads of damage. It is very good guidance. Maybe somebody will come onto the thread and remind us of the name.

However, the most important thing is to get a very clear idea of exactly what went wrong and where in order to target your attack. Once we identify the culprit – which looks very much as if it's going to be the bank – then we can start looking at the question of compensation.

The important thing is to go gently step-by-step and make sure that at every point you are fully informed and prepared.

Good morning!

Perfect - thank you for your help so far.

That period is exactly what has me baffled. Honestly, if I went and changed the SO, then I would remember.

I will await for all the documents to arrive from both parties and see what I can do.

Regarding solicitors now taking responsibility of removing CCJ - should I contact them directly and get an update of where they are as such with it...?

Also - a question for banking experts - how likely is it that a new SO was setup without my knowledge? Say for example, council bank details had changed - would an old SO be cancelled and a new one setup with new details?

Thank you.

Jay

How long ago where you told that this CCJ would be removed and by who were you told? Also, I'm not sure if the business of then removing the marker from your credit file happens automatically or whether that is a separate application. You need to insist that not only is the CC J removed but also that the credit file is completely cleaned up. This means that it is not simply marked as "settled" or anything else. It must be completely cleaned.

Do you have a copy of your credit file? If you don't then you need to get a copy of the CC J on it. Do you have copies of the court documents? If not then you need to set about getting copies of everything – warning letters, letters before claim, claim form, judgement, – everything. You need to get a complete file before it all starts disappearing or otherwise becoming inaccessible to you.

In terms of this mysterious six months in which the standing order was accompanied by reference, the only way that could have happened if it was your involvement would have been for you to stop the unattributed standing order, to set up a new one with a reference, then to visit the bank again and stop that one and then set up another unattributed standing order. This beggars belief.

How do you know that the standing order was changed at all? I'm starting to form the opinion that the only way this could have happened would have been because of a bank glitch. That there was no change to the standing order at all. It was simply that something in the banks processes stopped adding the reference number to the standing order then for six months the standing order was properly processed and then the glitch re-occurred and the standing order continued being processed but without the reference number.

To my mind this is the only explanation.

Hi!

Council informed me of the CCJ being removed but with no time frame at all. Other than, it could take a few months.

And yes exactly - I strongly informed them that this entry is removed from my file as though it never happened. I’ve said that in my complaint to council as well as email correspondences with council collection officer leading up my official complaint.

I’ve a copy of the claim form and judgment / both of which were sent to my rental property as opposed to correspondence address.

I will get a copy of my credit file today off Experian or something. Or is there another credit reference agency I should use?

I will await for my SAR documents to come through and that will hopefully give me a better picture on what happened. I definitely did not go and change one single thing - I’ve not had to. And definitely wouldn’t go messing around to place a reference for 6mnths only to go and remove it again. That would be very dumb.

I believe that I asked you for a copy of the letter/email which you receive from the solicitor which admitted liability. I'm not sure that I have seen it yet

I believe that I asked you for a copy of the letter/email which you receive from the solicitor which admitted liability. I'm not sure that I have seen it yet

Hi!

I think I answered that in one of my posts - sorry if I wasn’t clear.

But basically, solicitor didn’t admit to me directly; when council looked into CCJ being sent to my rental property, solicitors admitted to the council that they messed up. In turn, council informed me of this between email correspondence between council and I. I have that printed out as I used that as proof for my official stage 1 complaint to council.

Will it help if I upload this?

But to clarify - solicitors didn’t admit to the liability directly to me as I’ve had no direct communication with them yet...

Thanks

Jay

you can go after both council and bank directly.

theres someone here that got £1000's

forget the name sorry

I see that in your first post you were asking about the level of compensation. Like site team member DX, I can't remember the name of the case in which there was an action for an incorrect credit file entry which had caused difficulty in getting credit but also the loss of an opportunity to buy a property.

Durkin

http://www.hardwicke.co.uk/insights/archive/articles/claims-against-banks-for-negligent-credit-references-the-possible-impact-of-the-durkin-decision

https://www.stephens-scown.co.uk/disputes-with-businesses/poor-credit-history-can-you-recover-damages-for-inaccuracies-in-your-credit-rating/

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/mar/26/supreme-court-victory-hsbc-pc-world

Lots of other links all over the Internet – and I think we have a copy of the judgement on this forum – you have to search for it. The important thing is to look at the heads of damage which were claimed. However, don't imagine that it is straightforward.

Hi!

I think I answered that in one of my posts - sorry if I wasn’t clear.

But basically, solicitor didn’t admit to me directly; when council looked into CCJ being sent to my rental property, solicitors admitted to the council that they messed up. In turn, council informed me of this between email correspondence between council and I. I have that printed out as I used that as proof for my official stage 1 complaint to council.

Will it help if I upload this?

But to clarify - solicitors didn’t admit to the liability directly to me as I’ve had no direct communication with them yet...

Thanks

Jay

yes please could you upload the message. Don't worry about identifying the council and the solicitor. It's about time we got to know who they were

Good evening

Thank you for taking the time to help reply earlier with case name.

My son is studying law

- I can ask him to access the law reports through his uni access to cases/legislation etc.

I think he mentioned WestLaw and NexisLexis or something.

Attached is an email admitting liability. Although solicitors name was not mentioned, it is Judge and Priestly located in Bromley.

I checked post incase Lloyds complaint closure came through - nothing as of yet.

Hoping I hear something tomorrow.

Let me know if you require any other information.

Jay

email.pdf