Notice of Intended Prosecution - Visitor

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2210 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I'm new to the forum. I seem to have an unusual situation.

My father in law (visitor non EU, with a non EU or UK license) was caught doing 36mph in a 30mph road, we received a Notice of Intended Prosecution some days ago.

He's on a visitor visa only, i was able to add him to my own insurance so at least he was covered when the offence happened.

The car is registered in my wife's name, she's not a driver though. The Police's letter came addressed to her (obviously)

Not sure what to expect in this case. Certainly they can't take points off his license as it is not a UK one. The letter received by the police is requesting us to name the driver of the vehicle during the offence.

He was planning to leave the county soon anyway, what would happen in this scenario?

Has anyone experienced something like this before? I was trying to search online, but seems the case is mostly applicable for drivers that have already returned home, and most were driving hired cars.

Thanks in advance for any inputs / comments / suggestions.

Regards

Edited by DragonFly1967
Added spacing

Tell them the truth. He was driving. Which country is he resident of

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Tell them. It says to name the driver and address. That I all your required to do in law.

It matters not that the police wont be able to endorse his licence.

Many European truck drivers get away with speeding tickets everyday because they cannot be forced to pay

Many European truck drivers get away with speeding tickets everyday because they cannot be forced to pay

That's partially true. If they're stopped by officers they can face an on the spot fine (which is higher as they're not given points). Camera offences are almost impossible to deal with though.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

well, by the time they sort out the mess he will be back home and it will all be forgotten about unless he applies for a UK driving licence.

make sure you use the Ukraine address and not yours. Nowt to do with you once you have supplied the info

That's partially true. If they're stopped by officers they can face an on the spot fine (which is higher as they're not given points).

Where on Earth did you get that idea? Perhaps you could point me to the relevant legislation because it’s a new one on me.

well, by the time they sort out the mess he will be back home and it will all be forgotten about unless he applies for a UK driving licence.

Be prepared for a little more than that. The police are naturally suspicious when a foreign national is named as the driver at the time of a speeding offence. They may make further enquiries and their first port of call is insurance for the nominated driver.

Make sure you keep the evidence that you had arranged cover for him as you may be asked to provide it. If you fail too do so you may find they charge your wife with "Permitting a vehicle to be driven without insurance".

The letter received by the police is requesting us to name the driver of the vehicle during the offence.

Finally, it is not te pair of you being asked. It is solely your wife and she must complete the request, sign it and return it.

Where on Earth did you get that idea? Perhaps you could point me to the relevant legislation because it’s a new one on me.

It's changed slightly since the last time I needed to read it, but the CPS Guidance can be found here.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-offences-guidance-fixed-penalty-notices

I note that they're now referring to it as a "deposit", but it's basically a higher fine.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.