godhand510
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2214 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A few days ago I completed a few transaction over LocalBitcoins.com to a buyer named Muumbis (currently blocked) who seemed to be a trusted user, had good feedback and 2 months of multiple transactions. The buyer sent me the funds through a PayPal transfer, and then I proceeded to send/release the bitcoins to his account once the money hit my account. These transactions were very profitable to me, amounting to about 40% of profit over the then exchange price of bitcoin.

Only after 6 PayPal transactions amounting to a total of around £11000, I noticed that the person’s details included in the PayPal account used to forward all these payments differed greatly from the personal information of this LocalBitcoins.com user.

For comparison sake, the owner of the PayPal account is a Canadian, while this person seems to be based in Netherlands (Proxy, likely) and has a verified phone number from Kenya, as well as, beginning of a different gender.

As of now PayPal as yet to contact me about any irregularities in these transactions and I made sure I transferred all my PayPal balance to my savings account. However I’m confident I got [problem]med and it’s just a matter of time until these payments are flagged as unauthorized transactions and the owner of the PayPal account files a chargeback against me leaving me empty of bitcoins and about 5000£ of negative PayPal balance, which I have no means to payback as I’m student and I already have some debt going.

Summary, I sold some bitcoins at 40-50% in profit to a guy who used a hijacked PayPal account to pay me. It’s just a matter of time until the victim of the hijacked account files a PayPal unauthorised transaction/ chargeback against me. PayPal then reverses the transaction and the [problem]mer gets the bitcoins while I’m left to pay around 5000£ of debt due to the profit margin.

I’m divested by this, as I’m a victim too just like the affect PayPal account owner, plus I have no means to payback if these transactions are found to be unauthorized.

Perhaps, in the end, all I could do is payback the some of the money to the victim excluding the profit/debt margin that was employed in this [problem].

God, I can’t believe a fell for it, I’m aware of this sort of thing yet due to my own stupidity or being a student with no income I just went for it….Never felt so dumb.

I know I’m making assumptions on what if…however, I just need to a little guidance on what to do next or who to turn to, basically a course of action to reduce all the possible damage.

Thank you all

Edited by DragonFly1967
Added some paragraphs & spacing. Content unchanged.

Simply ignore PayPal

Remove all bank details

There is nothing they can do to you

They are in Luxy

With no legal powers here at all

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Threads merged and tidied

Please read post 2

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I see I haven't been able to remove my bank account details will they be able to withdraw any owed money without my consent.

Shall open a new bank account and close the one affected?

Is there anything else I can do,

what about the debt collectors?

Shall inform the authorities of fraud.

I just don't want my credit to be affected.

Edited by dx100uk
Spacing

I see I haven't been able to remove my bank account details will they be able to withdraw any owed money without my consent.

They can certainly try. I have more than one account. Paypal has the details for one, but it is kept at a balance of £0.01 unless I know that I've paid for something via PayPal and then that exact amount get's transferred in to the account.

Shall open a new bank account and close the one affected?

There's nothing to stop you doing this, but you don't have to close the account you have, just leave it with a small balance as I do.

Is there anything else I can do, what about the debt collectors?

If it comes to it, you'll get nasty letters from their pet Debt Collectors threatening all sorts of woes, but if you read it carefully it will contain a whole lot of "recommend, if, may, might, could" they'll never tell you that they will do something, apart from maybe "we will recommend" :lol: Letters from DCA's can (and should) be ignored completely.

Shall inform the authorities of fraud.

Based on what? All you have at the moment is a hunch.

I just don't want my credit to be affected.

It won't be.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

Thank you, I'm looking at this situation a little more optimistically now, I will follow those steps and make sure I keep the funds safe. I also got family members who use PayPal,l is any changes they might get done for it?

Thank you, I'm looking at this situation a little more optimistically now, I will follow those steps and make sure I keep the funds safe. I also got family members who use PayPal,l is any changes they might get done for it?

Nope. As long as it's a different email address. That's the really crazy part. If you had access to multiple email addresses and bank accounts, you can create as many Paypal accounts as you like. No one (at PayPal) seems to actually 'check' anything. :|

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

As long as you remove the cards from my account on pp they can't do anything more

Then pop to your bank portal and remove the direct debit

Job done.

and they

Thank you, it's funny how useless PayPal is protecting their users.

Like I said if these are unauthorized payments its been 2 weeks and they still haven't caught on.

I will keep you guys updated.

if everything goes the way I see it going, meaning a negative balance, I will try to reason with them and offer to pay whatever I owe excluding my losses, if they are comparative enough I will settle that part of the balance otherwise I will stay put and ignore whatever they throw at me.

Thank you for all the help.

Umm, hang on.

Be it bitcoin or widgets...

A has purchased from you and you have supplied the 'goods'.

A has paid you and you have received, transferred and banked the money.

B (Paypal) have processed the payments and transfers to your account.

You now think that A has used a Paypal account that belongs to C (an unknown person).

Here's the way I see this.

Any fraud on C's Paypal account is between A, B & C and is of no concern of yours. As long as you've acted in good faith & legally then you have nothing to worry about as regards the law.

So, assuming that you have acted in good faith (I have absolutely no reason to suspect otherwise) and supplied the items purchased by A which as far as you were concerned was a legitimate transaction. B have processed payments & transfers and therefore don't feel that there is any issue.

I wouldn't be paying Paypal a penny.

Get a new bank account and a new email address. Cancel the Paypal direct debit on your existing bank account and remove anything you can from your actual Paypal account. Let Paypal whistle.

you don't pay anyone anything!!

and they

Yes, that's right DragonFly1967, even tho I'm not directly involved I can not stop feeling for the other person.

Would it be too early to report it to action fraud, as of now this is all speculatory.

What would reporting it to the action fraud entail, freezing of my bank account possibly?

Would they also side with PayPal and make refund some of the funds?

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

no.

actionfraud is simply a fraud reporting portal

i'm sure where you are reading that anyone let alone PP can freeze anyones bank accounts:!:

they are in luty and have zero legal powers

and neither can any uk based DCA [who are NOT BAILIFFS and never can be!]

nor tame/fake solicitors.

dx

and they

I shall do that as soon as possible, also can someone explain in layman's terms, why would I not be charged back if someone fires an unauthorized payment? As per their policy, they don't protect a seller who is selling virtual Items I believe.

what do you mean by charge back?

no such thing

there is chargeback whereby a consumer can get a bank payment back

but it cant ever work the otherway around.

and they

PayPal may well do whatever it is they do and put your account into a -ve balance, but ultimately, so what?

You've not done anything wrong and if you've got another bank and PayPal account then it's not really going to make any difference to you.

If you do nothing and just pay up, you'll be left as the only victim of a fraud that has only happened because PayPal haven't picked up on the fact that someone else's account has been compromised, and how can that be your fault?

And we're still only assuming that there's been some kind of fraud in the first place.

bit silly really too as there is stuff all they can do.

they took the decision to got to luxy to avoid paying taxes etc the gamble was it opened themselves up to this type of fraud.

which ultimately come out of their profit pocket

dx

and they

Thank you for everyone's replies, I shall keep you guys updated. I will report it to action fraud once I have collected enough evidence of these transactions to support my suspicion of fraud.

Meanwhile, I have

Removed any direct debits from PayPal through online banking.

Removed my credit card from Paypal, and ordered a new one.

Collecting evidence that I had no intentions of wrongdoing and report it to action fraud once the reversible payments hit or do it right away after I finish collecting evidence.

Reported the user to Localbicoins.

Still to do

This week I'm going to my bank and ask them to block any transactions from PayPal officially.

I don't seem to be able to remove my linked bank account from PayPal, keeps telling there are pending transactions keeping me from doing so, which is simply not true as all the withdrawal funds have hit my bank account. Will call them now and ask them to remove it.

Potentially getting a new bank account and closing the affected one.

Don't report to actionfraud because no fraud has been committed yet.

If PayPal won't let you remove the bank account, close it.

Instruct the bank in writing not to release any funds to PayPal.

Then forget about it.

The bloke who bought your bitcoins might use a server in Nederland, be a Canadian and have an online phone similar to WhatsApp registered in Zambia so to make free/cheap calls.

Long shot but possible.

Hence why I haven't contacted the authorities, Payevil won't remove my bank account they keep telling me I have a pending transaction.

Tomorrow I'm heading to the bank to make it official.

Does anyone know how to do this in writing?

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

Does anyone know how to do this in writing?

Dear Bank

Close my account with immediate effect.

Signed

Account Holder.

Would do.

You might be able to close your account online, you'd have to check your online banking portal. But do make sure that you've got another account to fall back on.