Swinton Insurance refusing to fix car

mummy38
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2235 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Had a huge issue with insurance company when my car was hit in a car park. The car was reversed into a space in Work car park and was damaged on both sides

Initially car was assessed by main dealer for repairs but the cost was enormous so they said it was being sent ito their repair company. Their garage rang and were asking for 500 up front for the repair which was incorrect as our excess was 350. A 5 month battle ensued when I got ombudsman involved, they agreed 350 so it went in for repairs.

Car was returned with only 1 side fixed. I rejected the car and it went back. Insurance said they were sending out an inspector to assess and they called this evening to say they are not repairing it as they say it was not part of the original accident.

1 accident was reported immediately

2. Car was assessed immediately with main dealer who included the damage in its initial report at the time of the accident

What action can I now take. They want to return the car in Wednesday

which insurer? YOUR insurer, or are you relying on the garage to sort it?

Either way, you should be pushing your insurer to sort it and claim from the other party. After all, its what you pay them for.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

what did they say about the original incident report? Who is the insurer.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

There will have been a sheet ( similar to hire car sheets/ diagram of a car) showing location of damage on a car. Presumably this stated damage on one side of the car and this is also evidenced by the garage estimate of what work they quoted for.

Now you are saying there is other damage and this is not shown on the documents they have ? This appears to be what you say they are telling you..

So you need to explain to the Insurers how the other damage to car happened at the same time as the damage they agreed the repairs for.

You can only claim for one accident event at a time and all damage must relate to what you say happened. I presume you can explain this to Swinton and discuss what damage was missed during the Insurers inspection. If so, that os what you need to do.

Edited by dx100uk

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

We have never been given any paperwork from them. The only paperwork I have been given is from Ford when they gave me a copy of the assessment, the estimate from Ford includes this

Our communication with the insurance company was always over the phone, they have never given us any paperwork to complete

We reported all damage to the insurance company at the time as it all happened in the one incident.

what did they say about the original incident report? Who is the insurer.

We have not been given any paperwork from them as of yet

Edited by dx100uk
merged

I can understand the insurance companies scepticism that both sides of the vehicle were damaged at the same time. This is something that will need to be dealt with.

It would be helpful if you could explain in a little more detail exactly what happened – and maybe a diagram in PDF format would help.

In terms of getting paperwork from the insurance company even though you have been dealing with them on the telephone, they will have notes and internal documents about this and I suggest that you send them an SAR in order to get whatever you can find. I suggest also that you send an SAR to the ombudsman that you used to see what they are holding about this as well.

I see that you have been with us since 2013 but despite this you don't appear to be recording your calls. Have you read our customer services guide? I suggest that you read it and then implement the advice and have further phone calls with them and see what other interesting information you can get.

When you can give us this information then maybe we can see what to do next

I honestly do not know how it happened, it happened in the work car park early one morning between 730 and 9.30.

On drivers side the back panel has 2 deep scratches going along the length on the panel and the bumper has been damaged

On the passenger side, similar marks going along the rear passenger door and panel.

I both lots of damage were covered in a white powder.

This is speculation only but I have always felt that , one of the work vans, who tow trailers was parking a trailer into a space at either side and hit it not knowing

Since Christmas I have become aware of a similar incident in the car park where a car was damaged and had the same marks on it except they were towards the front of the car not the back like mine.

Bank fodder thank you, I have never felt it necessary to record calls in the past as I don’t like using the phone, I do my best to conduct everything in writing but I will pick up a dictaphone and ring them back and record it

Also, what is this rule about only one accident? Is it written down somewhere in the terms conditions or are we simply talking about "industry practice"

I have rang the financial ombudsman and they are going to pick it up. I’m so cross. I can’t understand what the issue is with companies nowadays and making their clients battle with them to do what they are paid for.

I have also just rang ford and they have said that to repair the bit that swinton are refusing to do is not expensive about 550. I can’t unde what the issue is

I can imagine that apart from anything else, they will say that there is a second excess for you to pay.

What was the insurers basis for refusing to budge from the £500 figure which then force you to go to the ombudsman?

Please could you have a look at your policy document and and see if there is any mention of only one accident being insured in the life of any policy.

Please could you reproduce the wording here

Ask your insurer (swinton are a broker I believe, so who is your actual insurance company?) for a copy of a document called an Audatex Report - you need the full report and not the abbreviated version.

The full document will explain the condition of your car, the areas of damage, have copies of the photographs taken by your insurer's repairer together with the notes/correspondence passing back and forth regarding authorisation of the repairs.

It appears that your insurers have only authorised repairs to one part of the car because the damage is not (in their view) consistent with one accident.

The Audatex Report should shed more light.

I can imagine that apart from anything else, they will say that there is a second excess for you to pay.

What was the insurers basis for refusing to budge from the £500 figure which then force you to go to the ombudsman?

Please could you have a look at your policy document and and see if there is any mention of only one accident being insured in the life of any policy.

Please could you reproduce the wording here

It was an “miscommunication “ between the underwriter premier and the broker swinton.

Ask your insurer (swinton are a broker I believe, so who is your actual insurance company?) for a copy of a document called an Audatex Report - you need the full report and not the abbreviated version.

The full document will explain the condition of your car, the areas of damage, have copies of the photographs taken by your insurer's repairer together with the notes/correspondence passing back and forth regarding authorisation of the repairs.

It appears that your insurers have only authorised repairs to one part of the car because the damage is not (in their view) consistent with one accident.

The Audatex Report should shed more light.

I think that’s what I got from Ford who originally assessed the car. The garage are bringing it to me tomorrow when dropping back the car.

It is premier, but can’t speak to them everything is with swinton who dealt with the last complaint and are dealing with this one too

It was an “miscommunication “ between the underwriter premier and the broker swinton.

I'm afraid that I don't understand what you mean here.

In terms of uploading images, they have to be uploaded in PDF format.

I'm afraid that I don't understand what you mean here.

In terms of uploading images, they have to be uploaded in PDF format.

They said it was a miscommunication and sited that as the reason. Our compulsory excess is 100, our voluntary excess is 250. They sent us a 50. Cheque by means of compensation

But why did it need the FOS to sort it out?

Also, I hope you realise that if they can log it as two accidents – then your next year's premium will go skyhigh.

But why did it need the FOS to sort it out?

Also, I hope you realise that if they can log it as two accidents – then your next year's premium will go skyhigh.

It took 5 months of arguing with them and as soon as it went to fos it was agreed it was only 350.

Trouble is premier don’t and will not communicate with us.

We can only deal with swinton, they talk to premier and premier talk to the garage

Never again will I go through swinton for insurance

I'd be really grateful if you could deal with the question as to single accident liability and the terms and conditions please.

If you managed to speak to Premier, in what way do you think that there would give you some advantage over the present situation?

Have you sent off the SARs that I suggested?

I’m trying my best to upload the documents, it says they are there but I cannot see them anywhere. I managed to upload them to adobe app and trying to upload them from that

I can’t see anything about single accident liability and the garage are seemingly bringing me all the paperwork on Wednesday

Premier won’t communicate directly with us

Premier won’t communicate directly with us

yes, you made that clear – but you haven't answered the question as to what is there to gain if you are able to communicate with them directly?

yes, you made that clear – but you haven't answered the question as to what is there to gain if you are able to communicate with them directly?

They have already caused me loads of stress due to what they say is a miscommunication. I can’t help but wonder if there is the same thing again