Ford Focus 2012 clutch

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2194 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My Ford Focus 2012 auto has just gone into fords after dangerously shuddering and changing gear. They have told me it has a leak and the clutch needs replacing £1200.

I’ve read about lots of issues with this part due to faulty seals. My car has only done 53,000. It had a TCM update 2 years ago when it was shuddering mildly.

Ford are saying it’s my problem and not covered under any recalls etc.

Has anyone else managed to get ford to replace their clutch with no cost?

I’m fuming with them oh and the part is not in stock and they don’t know when they can get it - tells me they are doing a lot of replacements!!

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

outside of 6yrs from new?

consumer laws like CRA don't apply?

unless you can prove a manu recall might be your problem yes...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

They are changing the clutches in America as they were sued for it but here they don’t seem to want to admit it. The seals are faulty and they have redesigned them.

Car was registered Dec 2012

so till dec to convince them it IS their problem.

I think 53K is your main point here - a clutch should not fail within that mileage

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I think it might be worth clarifying a couple of things here. The Consumer Rights Act doesn't refer to 6 years. As with previous sale of goods legislation, it requires simply that an item is of satisfactory quality and remains that way for a reasonable period of time. Once a defect emerges, that amounts to a breach of the contract and you then have six years to bring an action on the contract – if you want to.

The advice given above that 53,000 miles is your main point is absolutely correct. Of course, the dealer might want to say that the early failure of the clutch is due to your driving style – and that would be a reasonable argument as well.

If you can see by researching the Internet that the problem of the kind you are experiencing is very common with the make model and age of your vehicle so that it can be said to be an inherent defect then you probably have a winning argument. Your six years would run from the date which you could become reasonably aware of the defect – which would be at least from the date of the clutch shuddering.

Of course the measure of damages becomes an issue as well. You haven't told us if you bought the vehicle from new. In any event, there have been 53,000 successful miles on the clock and if it can be argued that, say, that was equal to half of the reasonably expected life of the clutch, then if the seller wanted to make an issue of it then it would be reasonable to say that you would be entitled only to recover half of the cost of replacing the clutch.

Once again, you haven't told us if you bought the car from new. If you bought it second hand then you haven't told us if you bought it from a dealer or you bought it from a private seller. If you didn't buy it from new then you could have additional difficulties. I think you need to give us better information about the history of this vehicle.

I thought automatic vehicles had a torque converter as opposed to a clutch.

Good point

It's probably a "Ford Power-Shift" dual clutch semi automatic gearbox rather than a traditional auto box.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

Auto gearboxes can be of several designs; the Ford Focus has a dual dry clutch Powershift system. This is activated internally - heliosuk as an industry acknowledged expert can give you the full spiel if he looks in).

A fluid torque converter could not act quickly enough to operate the 6 speed units that we are told the consumer wants and takes up more room.

In Australia almost half of the 80,000 units supplied to date have had trouble, with upwards of 20% being replaced. Ford Australia have extended the warranty to 7 years.

To my mind, this is the price one pays for seeking increased power from engines and speed ratios from ever smallerunits - but then some would call me a dinasor

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

For a start, it needs to be determined exactly what the car is, an automatic, semi automatic or manual?

All three of these boxes has a clutch of one sort of another.

My guess is that it is a manual and that the slave cylinder is leaking and has contaiminated the plate.

from the OP description it would not tie up with an auto box.

It gets a little bit tiresome with op’s not doing proper reasearch and jumping to conclusions.

proper problem definition is key to resolving issues.

This means a minimum standard of information is required in order for the people in the know to advise.

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

Heliosuk,

you may have missed that the op has posted at #1 that it is a Focus Auto 2012 year! I agree that it is important to properly identify the vehicle, in particular the drive train from the Vin numbers

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

Ah yes, sorry I missed that. The op needs to bare in mind that the gearboxes might be the same or even have a different calibration.

What happens is that a search is done via google and it’s assumed it’s the same issue. I deal with this on a day to day basis. Just because an issue is under campaign in one country does not mean the same as here. It’s a very complex industry .

Talk about a little bit of knowledge being dangerous lol. Why are people with obviously zero mechanical knowledge advising someone on what to do. It beggers belief. I realised straight away by the first post that it would be the Powershift 'box. The ex-motability cars with this transmission go through BCA every week and make thousands less than CAP. This gearbox is generally considered not fit for purpose and many have been replaced at circa 5k miles (so much for a clutch should not fail at 53k, you can burn a manual clutch out in less than 100mls btw, usually the driver will be deaf). The Powershift gearbox actually utilises two clutches BTW.

https://axleaddict.com/cars/Powershift-Automatic-Transmission-Faults

The OP would be better joining a Ford forum for the latest TSB and owners experiences, then maybe coming back on here and getting advice. If you dont know what you are talking about then please stop making it up. Good luck OP, these gearboxes are terrible and are being replaced at ever decreasing mileages.

Yes, well. Maybe my post came across a bit strong but if it were someone asking for help with a land registry issue for example thats something i know nothing about and i would be tempted not to comment.

I realise that people have the best of intentions and are only trying to help.

Peace, out.

• 2 weeks later...