Tens of thousands of drivers get increased fines for using mobiles at wheel

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2245 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Tens of thousands of drivers get increased fines for using mobiles at wheel

New THINK! campaign highlights the chances of being caught using a mobile while driving.

More than 26,000 motorists have been caught using a handheld mobile phone while driving in the first year since harsher penalties came into force.

Among these are 500 novice drivers who have had their licences revoked for using their phone behind the wheel in their first 2 years of driving.

On 1 March 2017, the penalties for this offence doubled from £100 and 3 penalty points to £200 and 6 points.

READ MORE HERE: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/tens-of-thousands-of-drivers-get-increased-fines-for-using-mobiles-at-wheel

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Drivers had plenty of warning about the changes and what the new penalties are for using your phone whilst at the wheel of your car, If they choose to ignore that and carry on using their phones, Then more fool them, They deserve what they get

Most cars these days have built in hands free so there is no need to even take your phone out

I for one will not be risking the points and fine to answer a call while at the wheel

Even if the car doesn't have it built in, a half decent bluetooth headset will only set you back 10% of the cost of the fine, and won't mean 6 points on your licence. No phone call is worth that!

Perhaps the penalty still isn't harsh enough for some people. Maybe a 14 or 28 day ban (1st offence for car drivers) and a 56 day or longer ban (for commercial drivers) (both doubled each time they get caught again) would finally get the message home.

Motorists faced with the prospect of having to walk everywhere for a few weeks might make a difference.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

Yet there is no penalty for fiddling with the Satnav, radio, smoking etc while driving or even talking to the passenger? If i pass my phone to the passenger to answer, I am committing an offence. If I go to a Mac drive thru and use the phone to pay, I am committing an offence as the roadway is one to which the public have access. I agree whole heatedly with the law but it needs to be modified to be more specific. You are committing an offence by listening to music on your phone as you are using it. You are committing an offence by using it as a satnav.

Yet there is no penalty for fiddling with the Satnav, radio, smoking etc while driving or even talking to the passenger?

Of course there is, it's just under separate legislation. Not in proper control of a motor vehicle is one. Careless driving is another.

If i pass my phone to the passenger to answer, I am committing an offence. If I go to a Mac drive thru and use the phone to pay, I am committing an offence as the roadway is one to which the public have access.

Whilst you're right that it is technically still an offence, anyone ticketing someone for either of the above would need to be having the day from hell. There's a big difference between "using" and handing the phone to someone.

You are committing an offence by listening to music on your phone as you are using it. You are committing an offence by using it as a satnav.

Music might be a bit of a grey area if you're live streaming, but using your phone as a Sat Nav most certainly is not an offence as there are no 'interactive' communications, that's not how satellites work unless your phone has a built in satellite uplink station and 1m dish :lol:

And for either offence to be complete, the phone must be hand held. So if it's in a cradle, you can pretty much (according to the letter of the mobile phone legislation) do whatever you like with your phone.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.