HTC Failed Repair - Refund Possible? bought by credit card too

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2243 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning everyone.

I purchased a HTC U11+ in November 2017 which was delivered on the 22nd December. On the 22nd January I noticed white lines on my display and contacted HTC to get the device repaired (I was at least one day over the 30 day refund period if the device is faulty).

They received the phone on the 29th January and it took them three weeks to repair and return the device to me on the 19th February (despite them claiming a turnaround time of 5-7 working days). Today, I have noticed the same issue happening again, with white lines on the display and trail marks that fade away depending on what is displayed on the screen (it is more noticeable on green, white and blue backgrounds).

This issue also seems to be quite common amongst users of the U11 and U11+.

Am I entitled to a refund if I have allowed the manufacturer to repair the device but the problem still persists?

Going by this link https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act I assume I am but figured I would ask here for clarification.

I have already asked HTC for a refund because the initial repair is still defective, but they simply stated they only refund items 14 days old or less and are only offering to repair the device again, which I'd rather not given their track record.

you can have a refund under the CRA. As for the 30 day return period that has nothig to do with faulty items.

Tell HTC that they are either dishonest or dim and you are entitled to a refund under the CRA as it is clearly not of merchantable quality and they have had their chance to repair it so now you want your money back or you will take steps to recover it and that may include court action.

Assuming you bought direct, if not you go back to retailer and give them grief as they are responsible for everything.

I'm afraid that it is not correct to say that the 30 day return period has nothing to do with faulty items. It has everything to do with faulty items. If your purchase develops a fault within 30 days then you are entitled under the Consumer Rights Act to have a refund or a replacement – at your choice. This is called the "short-term right to reject".

After the 30 days have expired – but within six months of the date of purchase (calculated here from the December date of delivery), the seller is entitled is entitled to attempt a repair. If the repair fails then the purchaser is entitled to reject the item and demand a replacement or a refund, at their option. This is called the "long-term right to reject".

In this case, their failed repair has now given you the right to reject the item or to insist on a refund. You should write to them immediately – enclosing the telephone and explaining to them exactly what you want to happen. As you package the phone, make sure that you photograph it so that nobody later on tries to claim that there are cracked screens et cetera. Make sure that the phone is sent fully insured and tracked – although you would be able to claim all of these expenses as well. Make sure that you keep copies of all the correspondence.

If you make any phone calls then record your calls.

Don't expect any of this to be easy. These companies are either not aware of your consumer rights – or else they prefer not to honour them, and you can look forward to a bit of a fight.

Including your letter that if HTC do not refund you – or replace the phone (tell them which it is that you have chosen) that you will seek a refund from the credit card company under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act

Take pictures of the fault as well

I sent an email yesterday to their support address detailing what had gone wrong and what I wanted done about it (refund).

Received a phone call today directly from HTC apologising for the service and for their customer service agents not realising they were incorrect with their statements.

They've sent me a shipping label to return the phone and have processed a refund to my CC and expect the to be sent back to them within 14 days. Also got a 10% code should I decide to use them again.

Have already taken pictures of the device and videos showing the faulty display and condition of the handset which is otherwise perfect.

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

hey great result!!

well done CAG

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...