Caught shoplifting in Tescos

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2245 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The other day I stupidly shoplifted again.

I had done it before for very small items and did it for fun.

But this time (for the first time) I was caught.

I got pulled aside and they asked to search my bag which I didn’t argue and I just opened my bag and showed them the items. They didn’t actually search the bag and I just handed them the things (there was still stuff in there which they didn’t find out about)

they took me to a room at the back of the store where I wrote my name and address and I was allowed to pay for the items (came to under £20) and leave.

They never officially said that I was banned but am not sure whether I will receive a letter or whatever (btw I'm under 16 and I don’t want my parents finding out) and also if they do send a letter, how long will the letter take to arrive?

Just to let you know we were out in 10 minutes from when the guards pulled us aside and us setting foot out the store.

Edited by Mr.P
remove age.

Hi and welcome to CAG.

First of all, stop stealing. I know it's a right of passage and sometimes peer pressure can start going down this road. If you don't stop, our advice to you would be useless.

As it stands, official looking letters addressed to you are going to make your parents suspicious. I urge you to speak to your parents as any good parent will soon notice the change in your attitude.

Yes, you will get 3-4 letters then that's normally about it but never say never with civil recovery companies. Some are like dogs with bones.

DWF can do nothing to you for two reasons.

1 There is no lawful basis to bring a claim

2 You're under 18.

Tesco security should have provided a responsible adult before any questioning took place. Anything said without the adult is a waste of time.

If you feel you cannot talk to your parents, you could try and get the letters diverted to another address but the important thing to do is ignore DWF. They can do naff all to you.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Actually I'm quite concerned that Tesco have effectively detained, questioned and ultimately took personal information from a minor without a responsible parent or guardian being present.

Was it just instore security or did a manager from Tesco's come aswell.

You Say you paid for the items. Did you take those items out the store or did you leave them.

I think you should name the branch of tescos as although you shouldn't be shop lifting also Tesco have broken a few laws here.

I have only heard of a few that called the shoplifters parents to attend the store. In the majority of cases, the juveniles rights were ignored irrespective of whether they stole or not.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Hi and welcome to CAG.

First of all, stop stealing. I know it's a right of passage and sometimes peer pressure can start going down this road. If you don't stop, our advice to you would be useless.

As it stands, official looking letters addressed to you are going to make your parents suspicious. I urge you to speak to your parents as any good parent will soon notice the change in your attitude.

Yes, you will get 3-4 letters then that's normally about it but never say never with civil recovery companies. Some are like dogs with bones.

DWF can do nothing to you for two reasons.

1 There is no lawful basis to bring a claim

2 You're under 18.

Tesco security should have provided a responsible adult before any questioning took place. Anything said without the adult is a waste of time.

If you feel you cannot talk to your parents, you could try and get the letters diverted to another address but the important thing to do is ignore DWF. They can do naff all to you.

Hi thankyou, I am stopping and I was going to anyway. No questioning actually took place. I was expecting them to ask why I did it etc but just got asked for my name and address. There also wasn’t a person I charge speaking to me. I got told that if I continued it could affect the rest of my life (to which I agreed and said yes I know etc) i just have a feeling that as it was all so quick and they let me pay and leave straight away as if it was just kind of a warning. I have read about not paying to the letters which I will tell my parents if they do arrive.

Actually I'm quite concerned that Tesco have effectively detained, questioned and ultimately took personal information from a minor without a responsible parent or guardian being present.

Was it just instore security or did a manager from Tesco's come aswell.

You Say you paid for the items. Did you take those items out the store or did you leave them.

I think you should name the branch of tescos as although you shouldn't be shop lifting also Tesco have broken a few laws here.

Sorry if my reply earlier didn’t send, I find this website quite confusing for replying but I would prefer not to say which branch it was as I live in a fairly small town and it’s a large tesco so I’m scared people will guess it’s me as people did see me get searched who I know.

I have only heard of a few that called the shoplifters parents to attend the store. In the majority of cases, the juveniles rights were ignored irrespective of whether they stole or not.

Yes, at first they told me that my parents would have to pick me up and then the next minute they just let me go.

Sorry if my reply earlier didn’t send, I find this website quite confusing for replying but I would prefer not to say which branch it was as I live in a fairly small town and it’s a large tesco so I’m scared people will guess it’s me as people did see me get searched who I know.

If it did it send, Tesco didn’t actually ask any questions of why I did it etc but just told me that it could effect my life in the future. I didn’t actually know who the manager was but there was 3/4 guys standing outside of the room. Also I paid for the items I was gonna take and was allowed out straight after that. Do you think this means i was let off in a way or should I still expect a letter?

Do you think this means i was let off in a way or should I still expect a letter?

Nobody can be 100% sure however, security did take your name and address so the likelihood is that you will receive a letter. Expect the worst but if nothing happens, that is the bonus. They should know that DWF can do nothing due to your age (not that they could do anything anyway) so it may be that Tesco have kept your details but not sent them to DWF. As I said, not 100%

Yeh, I expect it happens a lot within there as I’ve heard of quite a few people who get caught. How long should I wait before returning? Luckily my mum doesn’t shop there but I occasionally go up there with other members of my family. I never got told how long I was banned for.

I would give it around 3 months or if they took your picture, 6 months. Re-reading the posts made here, I still think that letters will arrive (usually within 2-3 weeks) but if that doesn't happen, that's a bonus. It may be that the store security realised that because you had been caught this once, the short sharp shock will stop you doing it again.

I am hoping that is the case for your sake.