• Tweets

• Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
    • As already mentioned freely available "credit scores" are fairly useless. All lenders have their own "credit scoring" system, that for obvious reasons they don't divulge. And they're "scored" differently to the freely available ones. As soon as they could, we've always encouraged our two children to use credit cards responsibly... Pay off in full, etc, to generate good history. It's paid off. At quite young ages, they have both obtained loans for cars, mortgage and their credit card limits are through the roof. Personally, I have shifted debt around a lot on credit cards (even financed a house purchase once at 0% 😉) and I've only ever been refused a credit card once, sorry twice by the same company, over many years. They must have something very different in their lending criteria. You're a tight one, Mr Branson.
    • Hi DX - quick question, what is the bank likely to do when they get my letter of change of address ? also what is the worst they can do? thanks J1L
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Will a builders public liability insurance cover a claim for poor workmanship

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1894 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I had work done by a builder about a year ago, but since then I have had nothing but problems.

The beams in the roof have not been installed correctly, causing major cracks in the loft room and below, the windows have not been installed properly and many other issues.

Does anyone know if this sort of thing would be covered by a builder's product liability insurance?

He built and installed my roof incorrectly and also installed my windows wrong, which in turn has affected by brickwork.

Given that he built and constructed my extension, does that mean any faults found after he left can be claimed for, or would he have to claim for each and every fault that I have found.

By the way the builder has accepted that he did bad, so I am going to assume that if the insurance company play fair, they will pay out.

slightly retitled and moved to the building trade forum

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Public liability covers damage to members of public by the builders actions....ie tiles fall off roof and hit a member of public

Employers liability covers injury to builder and people working for him on site....ie someone falls off a ladder and cant work for 6 months

Product Liability Insurance is for where the product being installed is defective in some way....ie he installs a faulty electrical item and it cathes fire

Builders Professional Indeminity (quite rare) would cover against his mistakes and omissions

Contract Works Insurance covers jobs that are underway and get messed up by outside forces such as fire and flood.

Most builders of any repute would probably have 1 and 2, the rest is a maybe

Hope this helps....im not an insurance expert, just work for some brokers doing their books etc for 20 years and have heard lots of tales :)

You need to find out what cover he has.

I notice your title says public but you text says product..

which should be in your title?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

thanks for the reply.

He has £10m product liability insurance. Given that he built my extension, would I be able to claim for multiple faults that have caused damage to my home, or would I have to put in several claims for each of the faults that have since caused damage? thanks

Edited by dx100uk

You need to get other opinions, but its my understanding that product liabilty insurance covers against installed goods being defective and causing damage to property. That ismt the same as a halfwit builder taking a good product and installing it badly imho

https://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/insurance/faq/what-is-product-liability-insurance/

Hi, could anyone help me with understanding the wording of the following clauses in my insurance policy? I have attached them to this post.

Also

Can anyone explain to me about public liability. If a builder's work causes a defect, how can it be so that the insurance company will only pay out for the damage under the public liability policy? Surely if they pay for the damage, but not the defective work, then they would be liable for the defect from occurring again?

Does anyone know what type of insurance would cover a builder if they breached a contract and if their work was defective?

thanks very much!

policy1.jpg

policy2.jpg

Under the Third Parties (Rights Against Insurers) Act 2010, does anyone know if a third party can complain to an insurer about the policy that was sold (in my case to a builder). My JCT contract stipulates the insurance was to be in both our names, but it would appear that both the builder and his insurer ignored this. I say this as the insurer needs to ensure they are selling the correct cover otherwise it would make them liable. Any thoughts?

please keep to one thread

threads merged

dx

and they

already answered in this merged thread

why do you keep asking the same questions or a slightly reworked question in new threads ??

however , just to show you are not alone

people have answered the same questions recently in another users thread

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?462818-s75-of-the-Consumer-Credit-Act-I-have-a-builder-do-me-an-extension

and they

yes we well understand that

your problem is a dispute and breach of contract

the court is the only place to sort this out..

and they

I agree, I think the op is coming at an angle of being able to access the builders insurance and force s claim through. It doesn’t work that way, you have to invoke any policy cover as the policyholder and have the right not to seek indemnity (I’m not going down this argument if anybody wants to disagree, it’s an easier answer for this posts purposes). The op has to raise an action, letter, call, email whatever against the builder.the builder will then decide if they would like to pass this to their insurer to seek indemnity.

Op do you have legal expenses cover under your own home insurance policy, they may assist.

Many people mess up with claims and complaints by looking for the

Edited by Andyorch
edited

• 7 months later...

Coming back to this, does anyone know why a house could not be considered a product? Surely a flatpack house is a product? Then why is a traditional house constructed or extended not also fall within the definition of a product? If an insurance policy defines a product as

Any commodity article or thing computer software or firmware (including its container packaging label and instructions for use) which is

(a) manufactured sold supplied processed altered or treated

(b) repaired serviced tested or maintained

© installed commissioned constructed or erected

by You or on Your behalf and which is no longer in Your custody or control

When then cannot it be argued that a house is a product? God knows the insurance wriggle out of any claim because of the policy wording, so surely I can argue they have to go by the wording of the policy. Obviously I know this is not what the insurance is for, but if I can find anyway of clawing back my losses, then I shall!

Any thoughts please?

Edited by Andyorch
edited

The product is the physical component.

The builder has taken the component and added their building services to create the house, which is the combination of the physical components and the builder’s service in putting it together.

It is still essentially the same question, asked a slightly different way, yet again.

I’m not “berating you”, and understand that you are desperate to hear the answer you want.

However, your desperation doesn’t mean that if you ask (essentially) the same question, yet again, trying to dress it up in such a way that you hear the answer you want : that you will get the answer you want, if the facts don’t support it.

The situation remains: your remedy is an action in contract against the builder, if you can:

a) win, and

b) enforce / recover any judgment sum.

• 2 weeks later...

I may add my twopence here.

In my experience PL policies do not cover faulty workmanship, just the resultant damage. Turning to the original post IMO the beams would not be covered under the policy, but the cracks would be.

As to Public / Product Liability, if the damage was as a result of the beams failing then that would be Product, as there is something wrong with the product, however, if it was just shoddy workmanship that is Public.

Finally, as discussed the PL policy is the builders policy, not your policy, so if he is still trading you are unable to claim direct. He will have to seek an indemnity from the policy and you will have to sue the builder.

To sue the builder you have to issue court proceedings and you have 6 years to do that.

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

• 2 months later...

Just reopening this thread if I may.

I am still pursuing my claim!

But a quick question if I may?

If PL insurance just covers the damage caused by faulty work, but not the actual faulty work, would the complainant not keep coming back each and every time the problem arises (if the insurer refuses to fix the actual structural issue)?!

Also, has anyone ever claimed on an insurance policy against diminished value of a property after poor workmanship of a builder?

Or has anyone claimed for consequential losses as a result of a builder, again from an insurance policy?

Any advise please?

Edited by dx100uk

I see that this thread has been meandering on for a year and it seems to me that we really don't know anything about anything here. You keep on asking about public liability insurance/product insurance. It's really not clear at all what the insurance is.

Let's ask some questions to which you should give a definite answer please.

Is your builder insured?

Who is he insured with?

Have you seen any documentation relating to the policy?

Is your builder cooperative in respect of you making a claim from his insurance?

… That lot for a start

I still don't understand rogerfed why you are so focussed on the builder's insurance. As several people have said, but you seem to have ignored, if you have a claim against the builder bring a claim against the builder. Follow the pre action protocols and then start a county court action. The insurance the builder has is irrelevant to you as far as I can see from your posts.

Unless the builder has gone out of business or has no money to pay a county court judgement and you are trying to access insurance as, in effect, an asset.

A year ago you said that the builder's faulty work had caused cracks in the walls, the windows didn't fit properly and the brickwork had been damaged. So what has happened about those? have they been repaired? By who - the original builder or did you employ someone else? Who paid for the repairs?

Is your builder insured? Yes

Who is he insured with? QBE

Have you seen any documentation relating to the policy? Yes he has given them to me.

Is your builder cooperative in respect of you making a claim from his insurance? Yes fully. He has now gone bankrupt and so I am trying to claim directly off the insurer (via third party rights against the insurer act).

Also if anyone could help with these previous questions:

If PL insurance just covers the damage caused by faulty work, but not the actual faulty work, would the complainant not keep coming back each and every time the problem arises (if the insurer refuses to fix the actual structural issue)?!

Also, has anyone ever claimed on an insurance policy against diminished value of a property after poor workmanship of a builder?

Or has anyone claimed for consequential losses as a result of a builder, again from an insurance policy?

Finally, I signed a JCT contract with my builder, allowing for adjudication if needed.

Now that the builder is bankrupt, does his insurer have to enter into adjudication as per the JCT contract?

thanks again!

Edited by dx100uk

If this is simply a public liability insurance then I think the effect of it has already been explained to you quite well earlier on in this thread. Unless you can show us something in the policy which says differently, then the insurance simply about covering people who suffer damage as a result of negligent building works. That doesn't seem to apply to you here.

If that had been the case then yes the rights of third parties act which you refer to was certainly have been very useful. Unfortunately you need an insurance cover which effectively acts as a guarantee of the quality of the builders work and as far as I can see from the information you have given us, that is not what you have here.

I can see that you are very concerned about it and I suppose that the value of making good the work must be very substantial. It's too late to say so now, but we have lots of people taking on builders who eventually go bankrupt or change the company leaving the customer with no fallback.

Builders often offer a lifetime guarantee over their work – but this always means for the lifetime of the company. Once the company no longer exists then there is no liability.

We have also had at least one example of a rendering company that was offering insurance backed guarantees. This is exactly what you need of course – however, not a single instance did anyone of his customers asked to see the policy and check that the policy was actually valid and in place. They regretted it after he went bankrupt and they discovered that there was no insurance.

Harvil Shaw did two years in prison – but it wasn't much of a comfort to his customers.

If PL insurance just covers the damage caused by faulty work, but not the actual faulty work, would the complainant not keep coming back each and every time the problem arises (if the insurer refuses to fix the actual structural issue)?! No. If successful you would get a cheque, not reinstatement. You would have to foot the bill for the actual faulty workmanship (or register as a creditor with the trustee)

Also, has anyone ever claimed on an insurance policy against diminished value of a property after poor workmanship of a builder? Yes, it can be done

Or has anyone claimed for consequential losses as a result of a builder, again from an insurance policy? Yes, it can be done

Finally, I signed a JCT contract with my builder, allowing for adjudication if needed.

Now that the builder is bankrupticon, does his insurer have to enter into adjudication as per the JCT contract? No. the Insurer is not a signatory of the contract.

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!