SMI & Council tax exemption....

Bazooka Boo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2247 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Speaking to an advisor today who informed me I shouldn't be paying council tax!!!!!!!!!!!

Turns out if you're classed as severely mentally impaired, (SMI) and is likely to continue, and are in receipt of certain benefits, OR are eligible for certain benefits, including but not limited to, Incapacity Benefit, PIP, ESA, SDP, etc etc. then you are exempt from council tax, variable from LA to LA, some 100%, 50% or 25%.

I'm going to put my LA to the test, having a severe traumatic brain injury, which is well documented in my medical history, I have just rang my LA to enquire about this exemption, whilst the call handler was very polite, she was of the understanding that you're only eligible if you suffer from dementia or parkinsons.......however she is sending me the forms.

I fill them in, then when the LA receives them, they get in touch with your GP who will confirm or deny your diagnosis, then the LA applies said discount.

AND you can put in a claim to have them repay any previous CT paid from the date you were eligible.

Mine will go back to 2007!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Turns out if you're classed as severely mentally impaired, (SMI) and is likely to continue, and are in receipt of certain benefits, OR are eligible for certain benefits, including but not limited to, Incapacity Benefit, PIP, ESA, SDP, etc etc. then you are exempt from council tax, variable from LA to LA, some 100%, 50% or 25%

The SMI disregard has been in place since 1 April 1993.

The rate does not vary by local authority, the level of discount varies based on the overall council tax situation of the property. It's very rare to see a 50% as it applies only in certain specific cases. A 25% reduction, and the 100% Class U exemption, is far more common to see.

Turns out if you're classed as severely mentally impaired, (SMI) and is likely to continue, and are in receipt of certain benefits, OR are eligible for certain benefits

It's not an 'Or', it's an 'and' . The qualifying criteria requires you to be 'entitled to' to one of the range of specified benefits, there is no requirement to be in 'receipt' of the benefit. This is obviously in addition to meeting the SMI descriptor.

she was of the understanding that you're only eligible if you suffer from dementia or parkinsons.......however she is sending me the forms.

She is wrong in that respect - legislation provides only a descriptor of the required impairment which has to be met, how it is met is immaterial.

Yes thank you!!

Like I say ''IF'' I'm successful, I shall be putting in for a rebate going all the way back to 2007!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Backdating is one of the fun points - you may or may not have trouble with it. Only way to find out is to apply and see.

Ha ha yeah, I've been up against my LA before, and am looking forward to educating them again...:thumb: