Alleged hb overpayment

Debvfm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2250 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I have been arguing with HB (Bexley Council) for some time over a debt that dates back to 2011 when I was self-employed. They have had all bills/receipts and didn't even look at them just wrote back saying no you owe us £27,000.

I went to appeal where off the record the Judge gave me advice and said if you haven't the money they cannot get blood from a stone.

The trouble I have is this - I am now employed and they want to do an attachment of earnings. They have said I have £137 spare income per month and should pay them £100. The truth of the matter is the DLA payment I receive into my account is my son's as he cannot run his own bank account. It is clearly marked with his NI number and not mine.

I have just received a letter from HB where it is stated because my son is a dependant (he is 25) then his money has to be taken into consideration.

I didn't think this was allowed? They are also including my carers allowance (I am not sure on that one).

The council have said they will not enter into any more correspondence with me until I prove paperwork of my loans (which I can do) and my rent (again I can do).

Where do I go from here? I really do not have the £100 spare.

Thank you

Have you spoken to your local councillors and MP??

If not do so, and ensure you have a paper trail of evidence, STOP discussing this over the phone, UNLESS you can record your calls?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi

I have never discussed this over the phone this has all been done in writing. They just reiterate their stance and won't shift from it.

I am just going to write to my MP now and track down my local Councillor. Would it also be worth writing to the CEO of Capita who run the HB side of Bexley Council?

Thanks so much for your help

Would it also be worth writing to the CEO of Capita who run the HB side of Bexley Council?

Oh god!!! NOT Cr@pita!?!?!?! How on earth did that happen?

If the alleged overpayment was disputed then there has to be some form of redress, if they failed to satisfy your complaint, then they can't simply say ''you owe us x amount pay it''.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Well sadly they have - I don't have the letter that I received at the weekend. I've written to my MP and all 3 councillors so hopefully will get something from that. I have disputed it many many times taken it to court where I had the judges sympathy (HB didn't turn up once). The judge was most helpful and gave me lots of off the record advice including (can you believe) to go self employed where I work now so that they cannot apply a DEA. It will be so embarrassing to get that and I just do not have the money to pay them. It was their error in the first place. I used to explain until I was blue in the face and write to them weekly but nothing.

It was their error in the first place. I used to explain until I was blue in the face and write to them weekly but nothing.

Then this is exactly what you need to be showing your Cllrs and MP, local media might also add some pressure too!