I've reversed into pole set up in calming area (1 foot into road) - is this pole/sign legal?

1971clt
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2231 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm a little frustrated to say the least..

..I've just made a drop off in a street in Newcastle upon Tyne (1.00am)

- I noticed when I entered the side road that it was 2 way traffic but had calming area at the entrance/exit for one vehicle only to pass.

It had 2 huge black and white "Sharp Deviation" or "Chevron" road signs on two black poles around 15 feet from the junction.

I am pretty sure as this road is a normal road with no tight deviations that the wrong sign has been installed.

I would assume when a chevron sign has been used it is informing motorists of dangers to tight bends (?)

I was unfortunately distracted and forgot the road tethered into a calming area with exit for one vehicle.

I parked the vehicle on the right hand side of the road.

From that position, I then reversed - checked mirrors etc and haven't noticed the black pole (which is a foot into the road) as the street has extremely poor lighting (it was 1am and the road is nearly in darkness).

I've caused major damage to the side of my car with damage done to the side bumper and rear quarter panel before it gets to the wheel arch.

I am annoyed with myself but I'm equally annoyed that I can't understand the mentality of why the council has placed a Sharp Deviation sign on 2 black poles with each pole causing an obstruction on the path (for wheelchairs) and the road.

It's baffling and I've genuinely can't remember seeing another road with this type of signage.

I would like to assume the correct sign which should have been placed is the road would be the mounted yellow plastic signage (yellow and white plastic bollards with a blue arrows).

There is also no coloured road surface to inform drivers its a calming area.

I would like to know if I have a case to take legal action against the council for damage done to my vehicle.

I've obviously made the error by not checking everywhere before moving but feel I have not been helped by the poor decisions of the Council.

I have attached the files but will try to also add the photos to this thread too.

Hopefully I'm reading this correctly....

I've just searched to see if there is a minimum width which councils are required to abide to for clearance for wheelchairs (as the pole is also cemented into the path).

I've found this:

The British Government have set a recommended minimum width, to be enforced by local Authorities. What is the minimum width?

Answer: "1800mm on access routes to buildings, from bus stops or car parks with a deregation down to 1200mm around existing obstructions -'Manual for Streets 2' CIHT 2010".

I do not believe the clearance is 1200mm and will check this tomorrow. If the width is less than 1200mm is the signage illegal?

Thank you in advance for any help

C

It is outrageous.

I mean, the council might not have left enough room for wheelchairs (even though that is irrelevant to you as the driver of a reversing vehicle).

An OUTRAGE

I mean, who needs traffic calming at 01.00 in a poorly lit road: they should surely be popping round each evening to remove any obstructions in case there are going to be reversing drivers not paying attention.

An affront to any careless drivers.

I mean, who expects their to be poles in the road .... err, I mean in the pavement, given the kerb you had to reverse over to reach the pole!.

In summary, I doubt the council has acted illegally. Even if the signs aren't the correct ones (chevrons), or don't meet a recommendation for width (it is a recommendation, not a mandate), and the signs were illegal, and then any claim you might make was succesful on legality, you'd then find your contributory negligence would mean you (or your insurers) still ending up footing the bill.

In other news: Driver hits street furniture placed on pavement. Driver doesn't look to blame anyone else. Public shocked by rare display of personal responsibility........

Sorry, but I totally agree with Bazza. It’s your own lack of care and observation that put you in that pole. It didn’t jump out but was deliberately placed there as a traffic calming measure as there is clearly a history of people driving irresponsibly on that road.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

read upload to put your photos

one multi page PDF please

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Your post comes over very pedantic.

I've admitted I've made an error

I've never used the word outrage or outrageous.

The space left for wheelchairs is blatantly relevant.

If the distance left for a wheelchair to pass was under 1.2m width, the sign posts have therefore been but up incorrectly. No?

Therefore I may have a case against the Council.

If you can post an image of another street which has this lay out as a calming measure I'd look forward to seeing it.

I've never seen chevron signs used at the entrance or exit of any side street.....except this one. I

've got no problems with calming areas at all - I'll repeat that.

I DO NOT have a problem with councils reducing speed of traffic.

What they should have used is yellow and white bollards so drivers can actually see these in the dark.

By the way...Are you stating I'm a careless driver, Mr perfect?

The kerb I had to reverse over (if you had read my post correctly) is only around 3 or 4 inches off the pole

- I was parked on the right hand side of the road - reversing from there.

However, I do like that you do agree with one point...that an incorrect sign may have been used. Cheers.

councils don't need to have seen a clear history of people driving irresponsibly (you know, like myself) to spend tax payers money on putting poles in the middle of the road...

.they just like to get their Government grants spent on anything before April.

In other news.....I'm off...Byeeeee. oh, by the way.

Wow! Let's hope that the OP drives his car in a calmer manner than he makes forum posts.

Oh no, never mind :lol:

You're correct on one point though OP. This is the "consumeractiongroup", the forum that you need is the "ivebeenafoolanddrivenontothepavementandcrashedintostreetfurnitureactiongroup"

Happy to help :thumb:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

thread closed unless/until the op returns and asks for it to be reopened.....

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2231 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks