- redundancy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2248 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

right to start off, i liked working for my employer, its not to much of a suprise i was made redundant but..

Okay ive worked for the company for the last two years. early december 2015 i started work,through an agency,the probationary period was three months. Anyway before xmas they decded to take me on and i would go on company at the end of probation.

okay last november instead of a percentage rise they would do appraisals last january early feb this year (the first every for me) and actually the first set of appraisals for people working there for 3 or 4 years.

so last friday i thought i was being called up for an appraisal that is until i saw the envelope on the table.

with pay in leiu until the end of this week i was allowed to go.

Now okay, there reasoning is work had slowed down, to a degree this is true but with roughly 4 projects waiting to hit the shop floor,i thought it a bit odd anyway. The main reason far as i can tell is the goods in and stores need someone with a manual license. I have an automatic. Before id gone in the previous day a colleague had an appraisal and said they were going to get someone in to to cover both roles. i did suspect then.

They did this with another guy in the office last year made him redundant. Then hired again just in a slightly different role

The above is not my main issue, my main issue is theres a guy there whose worked there for 10 years and literally...the only reason he is there is because hes one of the directors family, swear down ive never known a more lazy person...its commonly know as well among management and employees that this is the case.

I find it slightly odd the company gets rid of people but keeps this guy on?

Now am i alone in being slightly irritated by how it played out, dont get me wrong i think in the end it will be a positive kick in the ass for me i just find it beyond reproach a company can afford a guy who does nothing! but i have to leave...especially when workwise..he serves zero productivity level..

Thats it!

Hi there

Interesting link here for you regarding redundancy rights.

https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

https://www.gov.uk/dismissal

It would seem that they skilfully let you go just before the 2 year mark, look at the link above.

What does it say in your work contract about notice periods?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

There are people who know far more about this than me on these forums but from my own experience and the government legal guidelines, it would appear that all they need to do is pay you a week's salary no need for a written reason even. Once 2 years of employment have elapsed the employee has a lot more rights.

No i believe your right,sadly my agency time working there counted into the two years but 3 months as agency sadly!

I dont know it just irritates me when there was a person far more ready to be chosen for selection due to being a lazy...wotsit. Basically started an apprenticeship...failed that...went to stores..failed that. Now does nothing but somehow im chosen for selection. When the real reasoning is because they want to stretch someones limits to my job and help with another but because i didnt have a manual license was unable to do it...

As i said sort of nice company but the fair ethic isnt in their remit

Firstly your time with the agency counts as far as continuity of employment goes, and you should have been given a contract (statutory terms and conditions) within 8 weeks of working for them. Have you never had anything in writing giving terms and conditions ?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

sort of nice company? they have failed to follow the law with regard to employment contract so the assertion that your time working for them via the agency doesnt automatically not count towards continuous service sint supported by any written agreement. It could have been that it was but then conveniently forgot about this now they want to be rid of you.

Redundancy is the post, not the person so it would be interesting to know how many others were let go and what roles they did. Ultimately you would have to start a war over a weeks pay you would then be due and is life not complicated enough already

Noone else, this is what gets me a bit,even the laziest human being to have graced the earth remains to.....do nothing, the only other person was an office fellow who was made redundant in december and they took another guy on a few weeks ago

not that i recall...

i didnt think agency counted as part of the redundancy

It doesn't, as you were with a different employer.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Whilst their decision to retain the lazy guy may be irksome for you, it does not appear to affect their treatment of you. You worked for Co + their Contractor for just over 2 years but less than 3 full years and they paid you min Stat Redundancy for your total employment period (1 weeks pay).

If Co does go 'belly up' you may consider yourself fortunate, having a head start in applying for new jobs.

I think Emmzi was wrong in his last post.

1. Not a he.

2. If not employed by the company, and paid by someone else i.e. the agency, de facto they do not have continuity of employment with the company. Unless a) the agency just found them and didn't pay them or b) they have two years plus on agency books.

Acid test: do you have two years of payslips from the same employer barring any tupe?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

so that wasnt a redundancy either unless the new job was substantially different.

Others have made it plain that you were employed by an agency and this is a different employer. Well, the civil service used to count employment via an agency as continuous service and likewise where staff were on fixed contracts that ended and new ones started after a short break.

That is down to the individual employer to decide what they would count as continuous or qualifying service if it is more generous than the minimum and it removes any arguments. I doubt if anyone thinks your employer was this generous in thought and deed

Noone else, this is what gets me a bit,even the laziest human being to have graced the earth remains to.....do nothing, the only other person was an office fellow who was made redundant in december and they took another guy on a few weeks ago
Edited by Andyorch
Paras