• Tweets

• The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
    • At a key lecture in the City of London, the shadow chancellor will also vow to reform the Treasury.View the full article
    • Despite controversy China's Temu is becoming a global online shopping force.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

I shoplifted today in Tesco and am now awaiting DWF Letter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2050 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello.

I have done something really really stupid.

I don't know why I did it, no excuse at all and I got caught.

I attempted to steal random items from Tesco today (didn't even need them - crazy behaviour) and they stopped me leaving the store and asked did I know why I had been stopped. I said yes and they took me to the back room (read a few similar stories on here). My theft was intentional I knew I was doing it and I don't know if I almost wanted to get caught (not in a great place emotionally right now but as I say it is no excuse).

I have never done anything like this before but I was walking around and blatantly put 5 items in my bag not in my basket that I was also carrying (total value of £37). The security lady who monitored the CCTV in the back room said she had seen me and had followed me on CCTV from the makeup aisle (apparently very common for thieves to target). They looked through my bag were satisfied that the items I gave them and admitted to shoplifting were what she had seen me take....

They didn't phone the police but said to expect a letter from DWF with a demand for payment. I actually was very grateful to them - was shaking and crying when I got to my car. I felt they had been kind and "let me off lightly" - was in there for about 20 minutes.

They said I would be banned from Tesco for a year.

Kept my clubcard and told me I would have to reapply if I decided I wanted to in a year's time.

They also took my driving licence and took some details from there and the security guard from the store entrance took a photo of me on his phone. I am assuming they will circulate that to all local stores to ensure I don't go in or am flagged as a shoplifter (cannot believe I am even typing this..)?

Having read threads about these letters and Tesco not getting anything from it, I am now wondering if Tesco will get any of the money I get "fined" from DWF. To be clear, I do feel I should pay as I did commit the crime. They have CCTV evidence of me commiting the crime and quite simply I shouldn't have done it. First and last time that will happen I can tell you....

But the threads on here about RLP all say ignore letters as they are not legal. I am not sure what I am asking really - I feel I should pay as I was totally at fault but equally if these companies are not ethical (says me.... the irony hey) then should I pay or ignore?

Also am I right in that because the police were not called this is not a criminal matter (no criminal record)?

Thank you.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well done

everything correct.

simply ignore the silly letters.

p'haps time to go see your GP if they can help with the behind the scenes reasons?

always good to talk.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you DX100UK I think I need to go and speak to him - I have spent some time this afternoon looking at things online and this has shocked me totally it's entirely out of character. I think I may be depressed which is very hard to admit to.... no motivation, not bothered about things, knowing actions have consequences and still doing them....

I think the fact they have the CCTV would make me pay I would be frightened it would go further which is what I suppose they rely on! Thanks again for your quick response - I'm sat here thinking I could be in a prison cell tonight instead of at home "as if nothing has happened" I haven't told anyone I am too ashamed x

nothing bad will happen like that

they don't bother with the CCTV

and dwp/rlp etc have no access o it at all.

please don't pay them anything bin the letters.

go get your life sorted...much more productive them lining someone's poct.

cause that's where it goes. Tesco see nowt.

look at the recent posts here by silverfox

explains it all read here post 3

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?484331-RLP-TK-maxx-tourist-from-EU(1-Viewing)-nbsp&p=5097743#post5097743

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks DX read that and will wait for the letters coming.

Do you know what DWF can do with your information?

Do they just keep sending letters then finally give up?

Any idea of timeline to when they stop - tried to get a "norm" from the previous posts but alot are older.

Also, the photo that the security guard took of me, can they share that with other stores or only other Tesco stores?

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

Also, the photo that the security guard took of me, can they share that with other stores or only other Tesco stores?

Data protection regs dictate who they can 'share' your photo with, at most it would be other Tesco stores, I strongly doubt it will go anywhere.

The fact that they took a photo pf you on a 'phone' tells me they're very unprofessional, which merits a complaint to the SIA to have these illegal practices looked into.

Do NOT under ANY circumstances, feel you are somehow obliged to pay ANY money to anyone regarding this, ignore their silly letters, go and talk to your GP.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi

I heartily echo the comments already made here. Not knowing why you did it will cut no cloth with DWF as they are just after the money. Tesco have recently booted RLP out and taken on DWF. The store security have no link to DWF so once they have filled in the paperwork and sent it off, their involvement ends. Yes, stay out of Tesco for the year. Plenty of other stores (and cheaper!)

The letter you will receive will look like a demand for around £150 as a 'contribution' to security costs. This is not the case as DWF will take their cut first. The cost of security is factored into the store base costs and as such, cannot be claimed against anyone. These costs are already catered for in the price people pay in store at the tills.

Whatever you do, read the letter and then read it again. Where it states 'Further Action'. What further action? Usually, more letters.

If you could let us see the letter once you get it (minus personal details-name address, ref no. etc) and upload it in pdf format, we can then rip it to threads. Yes, go see your GP. They have all heard this before and will know how to help you.

Oh yes, don't do it again! :-)

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

you should ask Tescos's chief executive that question and if the response is that it is given to third parties then you have grounds for suing them for breach of the DPA.

If the phone is the personal property of the security person then even passing it to their employer is breaking the law as they wont have registered themselves with the ICO as a data controller for such purposes.

We have laws in this country to protect us but they are never enforced by the regulatory bodies.

I'm sure it would be different if you were a billionaire whose parents were Nazis and like dressing up as a Nazi when cavorting with 5 prostitutes but as you arent paying millions a year to fund the body that says that is OK the you are out in the cold.

Thanks Silverfox I will upload the letters when I get them.

Ericsbrother that is what has freaked me out a bit that he just said I want to take your photo and it was on a mobile phone.

I was obviously in the wrong and felt it was how they did it

but having read alot of threads I don't think he should have done that.

But I also think flagging it up would bring me more trauma as I really just want to put it behind me

- I am still mortified and feel dreadful 3 days later

- I feel like I am carrying some big secret that everyone would be horrified if they knew....

The SIA who regulate the industry 100% DO NOT allow the taking of photographs of members of the public on personal mobiles, if it wasn't an authorised device then he is on thin ice and runs the very real risk of losing his badge.

Flagging it up to the relevant authorities will ensure that this photograph doesn't find it's way onto social media, or pinned up at the entrance to this Tesco.

I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried about flagging it up, if this clown is in charge of obtaining evidence it is most likely inaccurate and inadmissible by his own actions.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

and I wonder how many other places are doing this..urm.......

and they

and I wonder how many other places are doing this..urm.......

Oh yes, it goes on I've no doubt, but those who need to make a complaint, are those who're being caught lifting...so they'll continue to abuse their position.

Hi there, here is the first letter that I got from DWF. I think it is the same as the others so to ignore?

Also, I am going to ring the store to ask about the photograph they took of me.

Should I ask for the store manager or the security team who man the CCTV?

DWF Letter 1.pdf

The SIA who regulate the industry 100% DO NOT allow the taking of photographs of members of the public on personal mobiles, if it wasn't an authorised device then he is on thin ice and runs the very real risk of losing his badge.

Flagging it up to the relevant authorities will ensure that this photograph doesn't find it's way onto social media, or pinned up at the entrance to this Tesco.

I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried about flagging it up, if this clown is in charge of obtaining evidence it is most likely inaccurate and inadmissible by his own actions.

Bazooka Boo should I report it to the store manager or the security team stating your comments?

Standard BS from DWF

Security costs 'could' be claimed but not at the level they demand. In actual fact, the store security are already paid irrespective of whether they catch a shoplifter or not. Imagine the scenario in that security staff are only paid when they catch a shoplifter? The industry would fold overnight.

This is not about punishment or deterrent. It is purely a money making scheme. Ignore them

As for the photo issue. Is it worth the hassle? Data protection rules forbid them from sharing images with a different company unless you have given your permission so Tesco cannot plaster your pictures anywhere apart from the stores and certainly not in the public area of the store. Any images will likely be kept secure in the security office.

IF security staff have used their own phone to take your image then it could be that they are not taking enough care that the photo won't be seen by anyone else but the only way to find that out is to contact the security company and they're not going to admit anything in public. If they did use their camera, it would be expected to transfer that image to a secure database and delete the image.

Agreed that the SIA may be the people to ask but don't hold your breath

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Thanks Silverfox1961 so would you suggest just leaving it then and obviously staying away from Tesco stores? And ignoring the letters?

Do you happen to know if there is an average timeframe before the letters stop?

Sorry to go on about the photo.

Do you think they would put the photos in staff areas?

I am more concerned about this as it was a store about 5 miles away from where I live and although I don't know anyone personally who works there I worry that they could put photos up

- they already said they would send the photo to all stores in the area possibly nationally to ensure I wont go in them

(which I obviously wont).

Do you think I could still use Tesco garage for fuel or would you not?

your photo is not UP anywhere

forget about it

yes you can use the garage

you could even use tescos itself

IF they stop you all they will do is ask you to leave.

dx

and they

Friend of mine went through this in October 17

- Great advice above

regarding the letters if you don't pay, which of course you're not going to do, you'll get another begging letter fairly soon and a 3rd letter again fairly quickly. Then you'll get - Nothing. There was no 4th letter and nothing since.

The 2nd and 3rd letters will have wording in scary red ink threatening the 'possibility' of court action etc. but as per advice above this is all nonsense. It appears they just give up and rely on the uneducated people who get scared by their threats and pay up to line their pockets and just give up on the 'educated' ones that don't pay as they have no powers to do anything further.

Edited by dx100uk
paras

• 2 weeks later...

As above. tesco will have no further involvement in this, so if you continue to ignore them the file will eventually be returned to Tesco and you will hear no more. Might take a few months and you will almost certainly get some letters from a debt collection agency hoping that the words 'debt collector' will shame you into paying, but they will give up after that as it will clearly be costing THEM money

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I will just keep posting when I get them

Yes please

As the others have said, ignore them and they will go an bother someone else instead.

They 'REQUIRE' you to pay this amount! Well, I require you to use common sense :-)