Living in a Motorhome and benefits available ?

BurleyBoy7
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2104 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Long story short....

Had a cycle accident two years ago,

worked for while after but eventually I chose to leave..

.was on medication result of accident for Post Traumatic Stress,

I was paid compensation and with the money bought a used motorhome and live in it.

I'm 57 years young,

although I no longer take the meds through choice as I have found the new lifestyle has allowed this to be possible,

I doubt I could hold down a job,

its complicated but for now all I need is a little advice regarding the initial question in the title,

just to add I now have no money left,

I supported myself with what was left from the compensation until it ran out, all I have now is my motorhome.

Thank you in advance for any information before I make the appointment at a Job centre to speak with them.

Hello and welcome to CAG.

I expect people will be along later with advice for you, although this isn't a scenario we see very often. I certainly remember a cagger who lived in a caravan and claimed, but maybe you move around?

Do you think you could be entitled to benefits for ill-health or for other reasons? You could check on a benefits calculator like entitledto, it's anonymous.

Best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi Honeybee13.....

Yes I do move around,

well I did until recently and funds started to bottom out !, so as such then I am No Fixed Abode, but don't want housing, not asking for that,

the ill health question is interesting because of the situation,

I certainly don't think of myself as disabled physically, maybe mentally, but then that's why I choose this lifestyle,

living this way I can live without any drugs,

I have tried to work since,

I tried for over a year and struggled a lot,

hence the breakdown and prescription drugs,

I have always worked so my contributions are okay I would imagine,

also once I hit 60 I can access my company pension,

and at this time I will be self supporting again,

so I only need help for a couple of years.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

If you are looking at claiming other benefits e.g Universal Credit, then get advice from Citizens Advice. You can register a claim with the address care of the nearest Job Centre. But you have to sign a commitment and go into the Job Centre to discuss your work search.

Remember that with Universal Credit being rolled out, you might find it difficult moving around trying to claim anything.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you ..

yes I was thinking about going to CAB before I visit job centre,

seems like it’s a minefield at moment,

more I hear and read the more I think it’s not happening ��,

what really seems to be getting at me now is that I can already start to feel the anxiety coming back at me,

strange how it manifests, almost like I’m sat to one side watching the stress start to flow ,

even saying that sounds like I should be able to control it,

but it doesn’t seem to work that way,

a little bit of anger also when I think that I paid in for 41 years and now all I want is help for two,

I would even trade my state pension for help now ,

I can manage on the company one from 2020....

oh well, let’s see what happens, I might get lucky ��

I assume you mean draw down from company pension, and if so then I have asked that question and something to do with it been a government pension scheme, deferred pension ?... it can’t be accessed until 60 years of age, but thank you for replying

You can claim housing benefit, but every time you move I think you may need to start a new claim.

I would suggest you stick to the same LA area.

If you find a site where you can stay 12 months time, then you will be liable for council tax however you can claim the council tax benefit.

We lived in our caravan for 2 1/2 years but were not claiming benefits.

We had to move every year as could not stay on a site for longer than 11 months at a time before returning to the site.

Unfortunately my problem resulted in us having to find a permanent place as I could not cope with the cold weather as you need to collect water each day and dispose of the waste water. No fun when the latter two freeze up.

Also during the winter you tend to go through a lot of gas if using gas to keep the caravan warm.

A 6kg bottle will last about three days.

Many sites charge for electric in the winter due to past abuse by customers.

Thanks Surfer...

I understand all the issues about living in the motorhome having spent last two years full time in it, much easier on gas than a caravan ��....

all your points are valid and I have never been in one place long enough to have the long term issue..

.I may have to look at it though if that’s what it takes, got to be able to work something !��

Hi BurleyBoy7,

I hope you don't mind but trying to gather information on all options in case I can't afford to buy another house after my house is sold because of this evil 'loan' situation.

Can you tell me how you manage with services to your motorhome.

Do you use PV panels to charge batteries to run your electric supply?

How do you get rid of your waste from sink, shower and toilet?

Do you have a TV?

What does the licence cost?

How long can you stay in one place before being moved on?

Many thanks for any advice you can give me.

BB do you mean LGPS ie you worked in say education or for a local authority.

and had 6% superannuation deducted each month and they contributed too?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx100uk.... yes I worked in Education LGPS....I tried to get the pension last year as I understood it was doable at 55... was told it wasn’t and the earliest they would allow me to draw would be on my 60th birthday in2020... could be worse I guess at least it’s not 2026

Hi dx100uk.... yes I worked in Education LGPS....I tried to get the pension last year as I understood it was doable at 55... was told it wasn’t and the earliest they would allow me to draw would be on my 60th birthday in2020... could be worse I guess at least it’s not 2026 ��

urm you ca get it at 55!!

I suggest you goto your counties LGPS website and check

Deferred Pensions..

When can I take my benefits?

Depending on the date you left the scheme your normal pension age will be between 65 or your state retirement age. All scheme members can elect to receive their benefits at age 60 and we will normally contact you just before your 60th birthday.

Taking my benefits early

You can take your benefits before your normal pension age but in some cases you may need your employer's permission and your benefits may be reduced.

Early retirement at your request

You can take your benefits from age 55, but you must have your employer's permission to take benefits before age 60 if you left the Scheme before 1 April 2014.

If you choose to take your benefits before your normal pension age they may be reduced because they will be paid earlier and for longer.

How much your benefits are reduced by depends on how long before your normal pension age you take your benefits.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and you have the required medical reasons too.so your ex employer should not want to argue.

who told you you couldn't get it at 55?

and they

Intresting !....

I will need to go over to my mothers as all my old paperwork is stored at her place, I have the copy,

from memory it was said that the earliest the Council would allow the pension to commence was birthday 2020,

I understood that it was up to individual councils areas to decide ?...

I left that job prior to 2014 so not sure if that makes a difference ?...

also it’s my understanding that PTSD isn’t actually considered a medical reason for early retirement.

.but from your posts I think I need to start digging a bit deeper and not just accepting things.

.. anything for a quite life not quite working

Thank you dc100uk

MOST councils allow you to get it from 55yrs for medical reasons - PTSD should be well ok.

go ring your council up and speak to the pensions people

nearly every one now has a pensions website but you'll need a few things sorted to be able to log in.

and they

Do council pension schemes have trustees like private sector ones, dx? In the private sector you'd ask the trustees about ill-health retirement.

The council should have procedures about how to contact the scheme people, probably via their website.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

• 3 months later...

Thank you for the words of advice and those of support,

I’m happy to report I have now received my pension and lump sum payout ,

deductions were obviously made for early withdrawal but they were fair and I’m happy with the outcome.

Thank you.