Iberia return flight date change charges much higher than stated in writing

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2233 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last year I booked a transatlantic return flight from Madrid with Iberia, on behalf of a friend of mine who moved to Madrid years ago.

It was an expensive flight to start with and the email from Iberia stated that date changes would incur a penalty of between US $195 and $325.

She changed the return date and was told over the phone that she had to pay over $500 to change the date.

She argued about it but was given some stock answer by the local Iberia office so she had to pay the amount using her card.

This is clearly not in accordance with what was stated on their booking confirmation email that stated: "Change Allowed with a penalty between 190-325 USD for departures from America, 150-250 € for departures from Europe"

I believe BA and Iberia have merged https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/about-ba/iag

Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks for your response.

What was the original flight date?

March 3rd

When did she request the change?

Feb 7th

To what date?

Feb 11th

What do the terms say?

"Change Allowed with a penalty between 190-325 USD for departures from America, 150-250 € for departures from Europe

refund (in each direction) No refunds "

You sure it’s just a penalty and not a combination of a change fee and the difference in seat value?

Not sure.

11 February is the beginning of school holiday, instead 7 February was a working weekday.

That's why there's a price difference.

Parents have been battling about this price hike during school holidays for years.

From airline point of view: If they allowed date change for a fixed fee, people would buy cheapest seats for a certain date and then change it to a date during school holiday.

I'm sure in the t&c the price difference is mentioned and needs to be paid as well as the change fee.