Can they take back my dream???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2238 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Evening everyone,

I recently purchased a 10 year old car for around £2-4000 below asking price. Also secured a 3 year warranty. All good. Drove it away and a 'Check Engine' light came on. Took it back and they plugged it in, fuel pump issue.

Replaced that.

Light still on - turbo issue.

Took it too a garage, needs a new turbo costing £1800. As it's only one of them, the garage, under the Consumer Protection Act, will pay for it. Cool.

Although, advised by the garage that if you replace one, you should replace both.

Due to the, apparently, small profit margin, they are not willing to pay the additional cost and have asked me if I'm willing to pay £1000 towards it for the two turbos.

My warranty covers everything that is not serviceable and no issues that were present at point of sale. But at the moment we are still in the 30 day period covered by the CPA.

I can say 'No' to paying £1000 for both repairs as if/ when the second turbo goes, it will be covered by the warranty. They did say that they would pay for one to be fixed and I understand the reasons it makes sense to get two replaced. However, it appears that they are trying to perform preventative maintenance i.e. the second turbo that might go wrong, at my expense.

The second one does not legally have to be replaced as at the moment it's working fine.

It *might* cost money in the future, which will be covered under the warranty. Which, I guess they're trying to avoid.

My thoughts are to go back to them and say I just want what is currently wrong fixed, i.e. the one turbo they said they'd pay for.

Can they turn around and rescind the deal if they anticipate paying more out under the warranty? Everything else has gone through, finance, insurance, tax etc. This is the only issue.

To distill, within the period covered by the Consumer Protection Act, can the vendor choose to take back a vehicle purely because they think it might cost them more under the warranty?

Many thanks for any advice received.

ML

I assume you mean the consumer rights act.

warranties do not remove your statutory rights.

though a turbo could well be deemed W&T

i'd pers not change both no

are you paying for this 3yrs warranty?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I am. I covered the three years for about £1000, which, knowing the type of car, was very reasonable.

My only issue is, if I say no to the contribution to the two turbos and tell them to fit just the faulty one, which they're obliged to do, could they turn around and cancel the sale?

no why?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

They are paying for something that is faulty now and under the warranty, are liable for things going wrong in the future. They appear to be trying to save money in the future by replacing a part now which is not faulty, but at my expense.

If I turn round and say 'just fix what is faulty now, nothing more', could they turn around and say 'we've changed our minds about selling the car to you' based on something they anticipate may go wrong in the future and cost them money?

It's all gone through, deposit, finance etc, it's just this one thing.

The garage are probably nothing to do with the warranty. They usually sell 3rd party warranty cover. So they aren't trying to save any money that they *might* have to spend in the future.

Perhaps they're just advising you that it would be wiser to replace both turbos now as, when the one is replaced, it would be just as easy to do both.

If you only have the one done and the second one fails at some point in the future, providing that you're within your warranty period it should be covered under the warranty. I say should because warranty companies are notoriously slippery (even more than insurance companies) when it comes to making a claim.

They certainly can't force you to have it replaced and won't cancel the sale if you don't.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.