LV Insurance renewal issue

mavman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2238 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm new - just registered. I'd be grateful for your advice.

Mid last year I called to renew my car insurance with LV.

At the conclusion of the call I was asked to pay the £40 deposit

I was told that their payment system was 'broken' and that I would be called back for payment to be taken later.

So far so good.

My car insurance renewal was completed.... So I assumed.

LV never did call me back

As LV had all my details (I had been insured with them the previous year) I thought nothing of it.

Several months later I received a DVLC letter informing me I was NOT uninsured.

I immediately called LV and discovered that they had not taken the payment (not through any failure on my / my bank's part) and consequently I had NOT been insured for the previous 4+ months.

LV have offered compensation of £100,

considering the potential financial repercussions to me of their administrative failure (had I been involved in an accident) I am wondering if there are any informed views on precedent in such a situation.

I am no lawyer

while it is the driver's responsibility to ensure his vehicle is insured,

one can equally argue that it is reasonable given the telephone conversation (of which I have a recording) to assume that the onus would be on LV to call me back as promised or to assume they would complete the transaction given they had all my existing details.

I would be interested to hear what people think.

Many thanks.

Mav

Edited by honeybee13
Change of username

If they took your Instruction to renew then the policy was renewed and you were Insured.

LV need to ensure that the policy is in continuous force from renewal and update the MID with tne Insurance details.

LV need to supply you with an Insurance certificate and letter confirming the cover from renewal, so you can advise DVLA of the continous Insurance.

Up to LV to do this and you just need to pay the premium.

Edited by honeybee13
Change of username

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Was it not on auto renewal ......why did they want a deposit.....strange ?

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Andy. Good point. It was on auto renewal, and LV had renewed it a week ahead of the renewal date at an increased premium.

This increase irked me as I'd found a cheaper identical deal (ironically with LV) on a price comparison site.

When I rang LV and said

"my car insurance renewal is tomorrow, but you've renewed it a week early, you've hiked the price up, AND I've found the same deal cheaper online.... What is going on?".

LV's response was that to process this I would have to cancel my just-renewed-insurance and begin a new insurance contract, which I then did..... just as their payment system tipped over....

LV can resolve this.

Insurance companies record phone calls, so they can check to see what happened.

Suggest an urgent complaint and insist this is resolved.

LV are a bit of an amateur shambles.

Speak to anyone in the Insurance industry and they will tell you that they are a very unprofessional company who operate to very low standards.

I have not found anyone that has had dealings with them that would recommend them. And by dealings,

I mean people within the Insurance industry who have unfortunately had to deal with them on a regular basis.

Edited by honeybee13
Username change

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Andy. Good point. It was on auto renewal, and LV had renewed it a week ahead of the renewal date at an increased premium.

This increase irked me, as I'd found a cheaper identical deal (ironically with LV) on a price comparison site. When I rang LV and said "my car insurance renewal is tomorrow, but you've renewed it a week early, you've hiked the price up, AND I've found the same deal cheaper online.... What is going on?". LV's response was that to process this I would have to cancel my just-renewed-insurance and begin a new insurance contract, which I then did..... just as their payment system tipped over....

Uncanny...I have done exactly the same thing this week also....£140 cheaper they couldn't match their new online quote over the telephone...so I did as you and they simply moved the auto renewal and told me to buy the new quote...no need for deposits as Im already an existing policy holder...my old policy will lapse and my new will take over..DD will change accordingly to the lower monthly amount.

Email PDF received conformation with new schedule and conformation.

Happy days:-) Love LV

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

You are right; and I have already begun a complaints process. They have sent me the recording of the phone call. So far they have offered me £50, and then subsequently £100 in compensation.

However the impact of LV's failure (i.e. driving on UK roads for 4 months withour insurance), if I HAD been involved in a crash then implications (both legal and financial) would have been massive and potentially catasrophic. I don't believe £100 represents fair compensation for this.

I am absolutely NOT a money grabbing claim making scrounger - far from it, but I am in no doubt LV would have left me hanging in the breeze should I have tried to make a claim whilst uninsured. My reason for posting on this forum is to sound out people's views and discover if there is any precedent.

I would welcome people's thoughts.

Yes appreciate that...but there is a slight flaw in your argument......you never queried not getting notification (PDF) or the Certificate of Insurance and lastly DD not being taken from account ?

I would take the £100...knock it off this years insurance ?

There in lies the rub. Technically it is the drivers responsibility to ensure his vehicle is insured. And that is LV's position.

In the context however - an existing customer renewing insurance (albeit with the hiccup of having to begin a new contract so as to get their advertised online price) - in the flurry of the usual letters and emails that followed the call, I failed to do as you say (i.e. check for a document of insurance and a DD deduction from my account).

While this may seem an obvious error, bear in mind I recieved a flurry of various renewal letters, insurance documents, T&Cs letters etc which in retrospect related to the "just renewed and then cancelled" policy, rather than the 'start again with online price' policy.

So it boils down to what is reasonable? Is it reasonable for me to need to check every document from LV after I had been assured on the phone call that payment would be taken? As an existing customer they had taken money out of my account every month since 2014, so why would I assume there would be a problem?

I'm not entirely sure...