style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2229 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just wanted to run this by you all so I know where I stand.

In simple terms, I live in a 4th(top) floor flat.

Have a locked loft which is not included in my tenancy but is accessible within my hall and covers the full area of the flat.

A few weeks ago the block management did some work to facias and stuff and coincidently the council start tearing down some garages over the road.

Sunday evening I notice some weird noise from above, put it down to wind or water pipes etc, had been cold so things act up.

3 hours later ive got this uneasy feeling and there it was flying across the lounge, a little mouse.

Lounge joins onto the kitchen so I decided to lock the door on the other end when I went to bed so hopefully to keep him in the kitchen.

Get up next day and no sign but I have a look and notice some droppings on work top where my cake was.

In my lock up I had 7 snap trap things so I got those and 9pm monday lay them down with some Nutella and wishing 3 mins 1 goes off.

Blocked the kitchen shut and left 1 trap in the lounge then went to bed.

Woke in the morning, nothing in the lounge but 4 in the kitchen.

Left traps down again 2 more nights and nothing.

Fingers crossed thats it but the noise in the loft suggests theres some damage and more importantly they got in so im sure more can get in.

Question.

Where should I go from here and how should I approach it?,

I can smell them but the noise has stopped and no more in the traps.

Can I really be held responsible?.

I know mice are bright but I dont think they could smell my cake out of 50 flats,

I suspect they were spooked by the workmen and decided so find somewhere new,

loft was quiet and warm with some food near by and stayed.

Ideally I want the landlord to get the loft checked and cleared,

then get him to get some pro cleaners in and get it checked for gaps.

Is that a reasonable request?.

I should say that my tenancy is up in 10 weeks and the agents are pestering me to sign up again(with price increase).

To stress I live 100 feet up,

have no doors other than 1 on the other side of the building which comes through a communal porch,

up 3 flights and a private front door.

Windows are shut other than a couple literally 3mm.

Hi

mice getting into a property 4 floors up is not unheard as there will be spaces from the ground up for the different utilites to each property i.e. waste sewage pipes, water etc.

when I live in a 23 floor multi-story they would get into properties even on the 23rd floor (ended up there access point was the insulated main water pipe for the building to all floors that they were easily climbing up) once this issue was sort it resolved the issue.

Report the issue to your Landlord and also look on your Local Councils website under Pest Control be aware they will probably charge for this service.

You could in the meantime look at your local diy store to see the cost of some traps (try using nutella or peanut butter on them)

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi

You could in the meantime look at your local diy store to see the cost of some traps (try using nutella or peanut butter on them)

Yeah already done this. And agree the Nutella went down very well, caught 4 in 1 night in the kitchen alone and other than the 1 I saw venture into the lounge ive seen no sign elsewhere so presuming he was one of the 4.

Its been silent for 2 nights since so i'm thinking that along with me being loud during the day and removing any food killed them all or if there were more than 4 made them leave. Its a shame but one of the mice was very big, maybe I saved myself an extra litters worth just in time?. They look so cute but you just know theres only 1 thing to do. On that subject Sure-Set Mouse Trap, cant recommend them enough. Extremely efficient and no mess, pick the trap up by the handle and base and just squeeze and the mouse drops into a bag. Forget the old wooden ones. Without a doubt the quickest and most humane way I think.

In my eyes the loft is someone elses but I guess its just the mention of me having to pay for fumigation in the agreement that worries me, guessing that would be hard to enforce as its not my fault theres a way in through the pipes. I just think its fully the landlords job to ensure they cant come in again.

(try using nutella or peanut butter on them)

Mars bars works well too (and gives you an excuse to eat the rest of the bar :-D ). It always gets them on their periodic visits to my kitchen.

It's almost impossible to stop mice getting around buildings once they are in. A pest controller told me that if a gap is large enough to get a pencil in it's large enough for a mouse to squeeze through.

My local council no longer provides pest control for mice. They don't consider them a significant public health risk. Rats and they're round the next day, mice, not interested. They have an advice sheet on setting traps yourself or paying commercial pest control companies. And if they are outside the council say mice aren't pests at all, mice in the garden are just part of the natural wildlife.

dates work well, they stay on the traps unlie some other foodstuffs.

they probably normally live in the communal areas and travel up the service pipes, cables etc to wherever.as you say, workmrn disturb them and they move elsewhere. i have had mice in my garage occasionally but as next doors cat has a habit of spraying they get a whiff and off they go again.

As a student I lived in a house with loads of mice. Periodically we'd have a hunt and get rid of a few.

Eventually we also had a rat so got the council round. All the man did was chuck some poisoned food in various crevices. Never saw another mouse or rat again. Wouldn't be surprised if you can buy the stuff on the internet these days...

Ive just noticed what looks like a leak and large wall crack in a far corner of the kitchen, I dont make a habit of looking closely but im sure this is new.

Think its time to get the landlord in. I'm confident ive done all I can and got rid of the mice at the soonest opportunity and that it was not my fault that they chose this flat :) iI'm now thinking this could be a sign of something more serious, either damage to the roof/wall or elsewhere.

Ive been here 8 years and I think ive only had a toilet handle in all that time so i'm hoping he will get this looked at.

Forget the old wooden ones. .

the old wooden snap trap ones sorted the ones around in the shed. no bait, just put along the edge where they run.

:)

the old wooden snap trap ones sorted the ones around in the shed. no bait, just put along the edge where they run.

Oh yeah they work great I just dont like having to get them out after + the risk of blood. I guess though outdoors is less off an issue.

These are the ones ive got. Cant rate them highly enough. Rinse under the tap and use again.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/pest-stop-sure-set-plastic-mousetraps-2-pack/70203

Oh yeah they work great I just dont like having to get them out after + the risk of blood.

yes, gloves recommended.

take the dead chap out of the snap (mind the fingers), put it on the lawn and the birds will take it. zero carbon footprint...

yes, gloves recommended.

take the dead chap out of the snap (mind the fingers), put it on the lawn and the birds will take it. zero carbon footprint...

Even then its a bit much for me at 8 in the morning :)

Did feel a bit sadistic popping a family of 4 in a carrier bag and in the skip.

Terminated :whoo:

We always had cats as a kid, did have a few mice but they tended to stay for about 5 mins and if they were lucky move on. Ive heard people say even a tray of litter is enough as they are naturally repelled but who knows?

Problem here is I think theres no pets or smoking in the entire row of flats + i'm a bit allergic but I think I love cats more. :)

My mum had mice, I went up to see her last April and noticed they had been doing the toilet ect on her pillow, it was obvious she was not aware of the fact.

I took her home that night and to cut a long story short she's never been back, now living mouse free :)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

My mum had mice, I went up to see her last April and noticed they had been doing the toilet ect on her pillow, it was obvious she was not aware of the fact.

I took her home that night and to cut a long story short she's never been back, now living mouse free :)

Wow thats pretty horrible although I think they are totally incontinent and will go all the time and everywhere so they only had to go on the bed once if that gives any reassurance.

true. the only blood was when the snap caught the little chaps head. the eye had half popped out with a bit of bloody goo there, and from the mouth. not much though.