• Tweets

• I (and other respondents) always advise “not getting caught in a lie” it hardens their response. Why would they now believe protestations of remorse and “I won’t do it again” if they've already seen you'd lie and say it was a one-off when it wasn't..  You can try approaching the prosecutor on the day, but "I wouldn't hold my breath" …..  
    • I told them that it was an accident and that I used the oyster card as my debit card was lost. However, they did an investigation and realised it was not a one off. I have told them how remorseful I feel and how a criminal conviction would result in expulsion from my degree but they still want to take me to court. I have received the court summons letter
    • 20 million quid on just the brokering fee for a crappy deal with the UK public hocked to pay more for PPE - which was probably useless with better and cheaper per item with no 20 million quid fee - available from alibaba Stinks of corruption to me.  
    • Breaking News Biden wins Kennedy family endorsement Fifteen members of the storied Kennedy political family endorsed U.S. President Joe Biden at a Philadelphia campaign event on Thursday, with some joining him onstage, in a rebuke of Robert F. Kennedy Jr's independent bid for the White House. and 30 members in the extended Kennedy family   nytimes.com WWW.NYTIMES.COM Kennedys endorse Biden over their relative RFK Jr WWW.BBC.CO.UK Robert F Kennedy Jr is running for president as an independent - but many family members oppose him. More than a dozen Kennedy family members endorse Biden, snub RFK Jr. | CBC News WWW.CBC.CA President Joe Biden accepted endorsements from at least 15 members of the Kennedy political family during a campaign stop...  
    • Speaking of Frost and Johnson the corrupt liars' grate deal they forced through   Shortages of life saving medicines has become ‘new normal’ for UK after Brexit WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK ‘The medicines supply chain is broken at every level,’ warns Dr Leyla Hannbeck   "Professor Tamara Hervey, of the City Law School, said: “There is nothing inevitable about this ‘new normal’ where Great Britain is isolated in efforts to manage fragilities in global supply of the products and people we need to run the NHS. It is the consequence of policy choices and those could be different.”     Mind you, the private sector is making hays while the NHS is burned. Private health insurance market grows by £385m in a year amid NHS crisis | Private healthcare | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Demand for private treatment booms as NHS waiting lists remain long, while more people also sign up for dental cover  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

How do I tackle the DVLA with this one?

merlin100
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2259 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

looking for a bit of advice if you dont mind - serves me right for trying to help someone!

Last November, an acquaintance of mine was literally almost destitute.

No job, no car and on the verge of eviction because of late payments by DWP towards his rent.

He was offered a job but needed a car.

I had a spare car so I loaned it to him while he got back on his feet and offered to sell it to him at a later date for £200

- car is worth about a grand.

It was too late to stop the eviction but everything else worked out ok for him and subsequently he moved around my area between a couple of addresses.

This morning I got a PCN from Dart Charge regarding a crossing he made over the Dartford Tunnel.

Because it was a first offence,

they said if I pay it within the 28 days period they would only charge me the £2.50 fee

but if it happens again it will be £37.50 rising to £70

then rising further to £105 if not paid within certain time scales.

Ive paid the £2.50.

Now, I live in Yorkshire, as he did, but it now transpires that hes gone back to his family in London.

Thanks for letting me know eh?

I need to get my name off the logbook but I dont know any address for him

- I would rather lose the car than have him run irresponsibly around London racking charges up as he may seem fit.

It turns out that he owes money to a few people up here so that may be his reason for disappearing! (I know - hindsight is a wonderful thing!).

Does anyone know how I can do this?

I cant report it stolen because really it isnt

- I did, after all, lend him the car.

I know his name but not his address anymore.

I dont fancy ringing the DVLA and asking for advice as all they will be interested in are any fines that could be imposed.

So any advice?

Thanks all.

Hi disgruntled, thanks for the reply.

My wife has a number for his girlfriend ( sorry, forgot to mention this)

but whenever she rings her its either vague excuses or no answer.

If the car is now technically stolen then I should report it as such.

Going to be a pain in the backside travelling to London to pick it up and no doubt pay a fortune in impounding fees!

Looking at if s crime has been committed:

Was it TWOC’d (taken without owner’s consent).

Certainly not at the outset ...

Has the friend received a direct and unambiguous notification that the owner no longer consents?.

If everything has been by an intermediary then no (all the friend need do is say “I was never told”!).

Similarly, it isn’t stolen. It may be “misappropriation”.

Stolen doesn’t depend on what the owner now says, but in what the friend now knows.

For it to be stolen / the offence of theft they’d have to be dishonest intent to permanently deprive, and that depends on the knowledge/ intent of the friend ....

So, unless you can demonstrate the friend knows permission has been withdrawn, “stolen” in terms of a criminal conviction is a non-starter.

You might get a message to the friend (ex-friend?) by reporting it as stolen to the police,

but to avoid putting yourself at risk of making a false report,

I’d make sure you explain the situation fully while going so!.

The police may well say “this is a civil matter” (and until the friend unequivocally knows they no longer have permission, it is a civil rather than criminal matter!)

Despite you lending him this car, he has now disappeared and left you in the lurch. If you no longer have a contact address for him, or a phone number the for all intents and purposes he has indeed stolen the car...

Only if the term of loan of the car has expired.

If the term was “I loaned it to him while he got back on his feet and offered to sell it to him at a later date for £200”, all he need do is say “well, I’m not back on my feet yet, it is still on loan” until the OP gets a chance to make it clear it is no longer on loan!

Maybe write to the DVLA to inform them that the friend has disappeared with the car. Keep records of everything you are doing so that you can prove you were at a certain place when the incident occurred. A PITA but it may be beneficial in the long run especially if the friend decides to sell the car and someone else racks up tickets. Not sure if you can ask the police to make a note of it just in case?

You can certainly go to your local police station and make them aware. Even if they won't take a stolen report (it's a very grey area) a marker could be placed on PNC (the DVLA also have access to this as it's applied to the vehicle record) to note that there are suspicious circumstances with the vehicle.

If you can get them to apply a "stop and account" marker, your "mate" may decide that he wants to give the car back just so the police will leave him alone.

Once an S&A marker is placed, details of the driver ie name and address, will also be added to the PNC (and that's every single time that the vehicle is stopped). Once the police have this information, other avenues for investigation may present themselves.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

Once an S&A marker is placed, details of the driver ie name and address, will also be added to the PNC (and that's every single time that the vehicle is stopped). Once the police have this information, other avenues for investigation may present themselves.

If the driver has failed to insure the vehicle, then he is at greater risk of prosecution once stopped when the marker is in place.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

If the driver has failed to insure the vehicle, then he is at greater risk of prosecution once stopped when the marker is in place.

I too would be very worried about whether your friend has insured the vehicle - or have you maintained insurance with your friend as a ND? What about tax?

If uninsured and the vehicle is stopped you could also face charges for allowing your vehicle to be driven without insurance. Check with MID if unsure

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Hi guys. thanks for the replies.

Actually I am still paying for the tax and fully comp insurance in my name although I do know he insured it in his name too.

It was very quickly after I loaned him the car that I was told about his previous antics with other people so I decided against cancelling either of them.

Ive sent him a text saying I now want the car back, that was last night and I havent had a reply.

The last known address I have for him is a local pub.

He knew the landlord who gave him and his girlfriend a room above the pub to also "help him out".

I went to see the landlord last night and we swapped a few stories.

the landlords daughter was glad I had turned up,

she said she had an idea there was something not quite right about both of them

- youre telling me!

The landlord and I now have each others phone numbers just in case he turns up back here.

As you have now contacted him by the only means open to you and informed him that you want the vehicle back. Though you do have to allow him time to reply to you, let's say 7 days (to be fair), after that, I would say that the vehicle becomes a stolen vehicle as he no longer has it with your consent.

On the 8th day you should contact the police to report your vehicle as stolen.

The police will then stop the vehicle (once seen), the driver will be arrested (Theft Act 1968. Section 12) and the car seized.

You will need to be prepared to press charges. But as it sounds like he's done you (and others) up like a kipper, I personally think he deserves what's coming. You reap what you sow.

At that point, you have the option of travelling to where ever the car is to collect it or, and to be honest, this is probably the cheaper option, to disown the vehicle so that it either sold (depending on what it is) or crushed.

At least you'd be saving yourself the money of travelling to collect it and paying VEL & insurance on it, and you'd know that no one was up to anything in a vehicle that you're responsible for.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

Thanks again for the advice people, much appreciate it.

This morning (saturday) I have now received a Parking Charge Notice from Parking Eye for an overstay in an Aldi car park in Canterbury.

Ok this one might be easy to bat away,

Ill send them his name and last known address up here,

and Ill send it Recorded Delivery,

its just damned annoying that I have to give him a grace period before I report the car as stolen!

God knows what else he might do in that time.

irrelevant and unnecessary posts removed

dx

siteteam

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...