Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Gold Account Holder Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Apr 2012

Default Re: Bristow & Sutor Recycled Council Tax?? 220 + 310 added on!!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyDave View Post

It looks like Bristol & Suitor have visited Seahorse judging by their fees. Seahorse needs to confirm where they visited and where the notice of enforcement was sent. At the same time, Seahorse needs to discover how much of the previous payments were held by or passed to Equita.

Once those questions have been answered, it will be possible to have a better understanding of what money has gone where and what money remains to be paid.
    And this was why I was curious about your earlier post where you advised 'Seahorse' to make a complaint to the Director of Finance at the local authority. Such a route is not appropriate at the moment.

You also mentioned that in 'your case' that a Notice of Enforcement had been sent to your previous address and that this supposedly 'invalidated' 50 of the bailiff fees.

With council tax enforcement, a local authority are required to the 'last known' address. Did you notify the local authority of your forwarding address when you moved?

Can you explain why it was found that bailiff fees of 50 were found to be invalid?

Gold Account Holder Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyDave View Post
    If anyone knows of a bailiff charging for a visit that didn't take place, I'd be interested to hear about it.
    Sadly, one particular company are well known for adding an 'enforcement' AND 'sale' stage fees to an account before a visit is made. In fact, in a case that I advised on yesterday, these fees were pre printed on documentation when the enforcement agent attended.

Site Team The Consumer Action Group Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch's Avatar

Cagger since : Sep 2007

Dave has now left the building .....thread tidied

Andy

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    SEAHORSES Novitiate

Cagger since : Jun 2017

Hello, thank you for the replies.
    I've just telephoned Bristow & Sutor, they told me to call tem before 7th Feb. & I've set up 10 per week payment arrangement. Asking me loads of questions, why I was ill, what was wrong, am I working, what my earnings are.

They say they have visited the old address on 23rd Sept 2017 & 8th November 2017.
    It went to court Oct 2016 & passed to Bristow & Sutor August 2017. And they got my new address in January 2018.

The advisor thought it was odd that it had been passed to them & not back with Equita. I was still paying Equita in August 2017 for one of the bills.

The council knew I was not at the property from 26th September 2016. And they've confirmed this in the statement they sent me last week, as it has that date on it!!?

On the statement from the council Liability was from 02/07/2016 to 26/09/2016, Gross Charge 418.55, Net Liability 418.55

Then they've charged me 2.40 for the 27th September, but I wasn't there then, I left on 26th.

It seems odd to me that my last payment to Equita was December 2017 & then 8th January I get this letter from Bristow & Sutor.

Going through statements & payment records now.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSES View Post
    Hello, thank you for the replies.
    I've just telephoned Bristow & Sutor, they told me to call tem before 7th Feb. & I've set up 10 per week payment arrangement.

They say they have visited the old address on 23rd Sept 2017 & 8th November 2017.
    It went to court Oct 2016 & passed to Bristow & Sutor August 2017. And they got my new address in January 2018.

Going through statements & payment records now.
    How confusing !!!

Reading between the lines, it would seem to me that you had arrears of council tax in mid 2017 and the council issued a summons against you for the period from 02/07/16 to 31st March 2017. The Liability Order was granted in October 2016 but you have vacated that property a week or so earlier on 26th September 2016.

At some stage, (and perhaps you could let us know the exact date) you advised the council that you had left the property.

Accordingly, the council would have amended the LO (to reflect the fact that you had moved out). If I am correct (which I think that I am), the address for the Liability Order would have been your previous address (which would be the address where you had been living when the summons had been issued).

You need to find out what date B & S received instruction from the council in respect of this Liability Order. Most importantly, you need to find out the date when you advised the council that you had moved address.

There is still the matter of the debts with Equita but I will come back to these later when I get home from work.

Basic Account Holder
    SEAHORSES Novitiate

Hello
    I am really not getting any where with the Council, they've sent me a supposed statement, however there are payments missing.

They've made this so confusing, I'm starting do wonder if they actually know what they are talking about at all.

So according to them & the statements they provided, I was still paying Equita for this account when they 'supposedly' sent Britow & Sutor on 2 visits to the old address. How I prove that I don't know.

How can they possibly send a second debt collectionicon agency when I'm already paying another one? For the very same bill?

If there was any adjustment to the bill, surely they shouuld have simply added it to the Equita bill & let me know.

My last payment was to Equita in December, then January I get a letter out of the blue demanding 220.21 + 310 fees for Bristow & Sutor. They say they were passed the account in August. I was still paying Equita in August.

What a confusing mess!

Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSES View Post
    Hello
    I am really not getting any where with the Council, they've sent me a supposed statement, however there are payments missing.

So according to them & the statements they provided, I was still paying Equita for this account when they 'supposedly' sent Britow & Sutor on 2 visits to the old address. How I prove that I don't know.
    Have the council told you what date Equita returned the case to them?

You mention that there are payments missing. How much are these payments for and who were the payments made to?

Basic Account Holder
    SEAHORSES Novitiate

Thank you, Yes there are payments that were made to Equita, missing from the statement the council have sent me.

My last & final (or so I thought) payment to Equita was made in December 2017. I paid it off in full.

No the council haven't confirmed or stated when Equita returned it to them. I'll email & ask them to confirm the date.

Gold Account Holder Dodgeball Authoritative Dodgeball Authoritative Dodgeball Authoritative Dodgeball Authoritative Dodgeball Authoritative Dodgeball Authoritative Dodgeball Authoritative Dodgeball Authoritative Dodgeball Authoritative Dodgeball's Avatar

Cagger since : Jun 2012

Could you just confirm, that when you paid Equita in full,
    you mean the full amount on the invoice,
    including any fees,
    and not any other amount.

Just to be sure we are all on the same page.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS
    DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT
    BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    SEAHORSES Novitiate

Yes, the amount oustanding to Equita was 304.42, when I was ill & unable to work. I had a visit to the house, & of course they added fees, think it was over 250 in fees.
    Even though I'd been in touch with the council & told them the situation, they passed everything over to Equita, I was ill for 11months.
    I had an arrangement with the enforcement officer to pay a monthly amount.
    I paid that every month last year, & made the final payment in December.

The council now say they passed the account to Bristow & Sutor in the August, when I was still paying Equita. And they've now added their fees too, of 310.

Hope that all makes sense, thanks for your help

Gold Account Holder Dodgeball Authoritative Dodgeball Authoritative Dodgeball Authoritative Dodgeball Authoritative Dodgeball Authoritative Dodgeball Authoritative Dodgeball Authoritative Dodgeball Authoritative Dodgeball Authoritative Dodgeball's Avatar

OK so you paid the 304 to Equita.

The 250 they "tried to add" was passed on eventually to B and s where it accumulated the second lot of enforcement fees.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT
    BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    SEAHORSES Novitiate

Sorry, no... the 304 owed to Equita, included the 250 fees for Equita coming to the house.

I set up a monthly arrangement to pay it off, which I did in December

But in August the council added some more, but rather than adjust/increase the Equita account that was still ongoing/live in August, they instructed Bristow & Sutor for a total of 530, including 310 enforcement fees.

Thank you

Ahh good, thanks.

Follows
    Following

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details