I really need help. Npower breached SAR and GDPR

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2127 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am desperately trying to sort out my life.

One of my biggest hurdles is my gas.

I moved in here in 2006.

When I moved in both gas and electric meters were damaged and unreadable.

The house had been empty for app 6 months and the council were using it to store stuff for the workers.

I kept receiving bills and disputing the amount.

It was ridiculously high for the time accrued.

Eventually it went to bailiffs who once shown the meters referred it back to Npower.

I had a ferocious amount going on and when they went for prepayment meters I was kind of relieved.

They promised they would look into it further once the meters were installed.

The electric was sorted out by the way.

Paid what I owed and that was it.

They obviously never looked any further.

I have sent letters asking how they got the figure I allegedly owe?

I have paid well over two thousand pounds already on the meter on these arrears. There’s still another £700 to pay.

I have begged them to look into this and each and everytime they reply with it’s to long ago.

We don’t know and we can’t help you.

They don’t keep any records.

They can’t tell me how much I’ve even paid them back.

My annual gas usage now is £8-900 according to npower and yet I will have paid nearly three thousand pounds for a years gas from 12 years ago.

Please can anyone help me get out of this loop?

Currently using £50 a week in this cold and it’s crippling us. I just don’t know what else to do. Thank you.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How long have you been with Npower?

Not since 2006 surely?

Have you lodged a formal complaint with them? If so what stage are you at?

Have you informed the energy ombudsman?

What correspondence have you got ? Do you mean 2016?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

How long have you been with Npower?

Not since 2006 surely?

Have you lodged a formal complaint with them? If so what stage are you at?

Have you informed the energy ombudsman?

What correspondence have you got ? Do you mean 2016?

Yes been with them since 2006.

I can’t switch as there’s still £700 of debt on the meter.

I have just been emailing them but they say they have no files relating to my debt as it’s to old.

I don’t know how to make a formal complaint.

I thought I couldn’t approach the ombudsman without a deadlock letter, which npower say they can’t give me

I really don’t know what to do.

Thank you.

I don’t know how to make a formal complaint.

I thought I couldn’t approach the ombudsman without a deadlock letter, which npower say they can’t give me

I really don’t know what to do.

Thank you.

their procedure for complaints

https://www.npower.com/home/help-and-support/contact-us/complaints/

if its still outstanding after 8 weeks following a complaint being registered, then it can be referred to the ombudsman without any deadlock letter.

:lol::lol:

what idiots

they've no records of how the debt came about...

then jog on NPower cant prove it remove it.

send them an sar

get all the info they have

and if they cant prove it

demand they remove it!

what clowns

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I did owe them money originally.

I don’t doubt that but not what they claimed.

No way could I ever have owed so much in such a short space of time.

I always maintained that stance.

I will copy their latest reply here tomorrow, I don’t know how to attach pics.

Thank you for your help so far.

I’m very grateful.

Sar!!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Take back control.

You'll be looking at getting a refund or compo here, a debt from 12 years ago and you've blindly been paying them, you've been cash cowed.

Get taht SAR off to them today, STOP all payments, if they have your card details then inform your bank to remove any continuous payment authority (CPA) they have on the card, if you've been conned into setting up a DD, then cancel it.

What does your credit file show?

STOP emailing them, and certainly DO NOT talk to them over the phone, keep EVERYTHING in writing, and ALWAYS obtain ''Proof of posting'' which is free from the PO counter, keep a diary of events, and try and collate as much evidence you have, this stinks, and is very wrong.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

It’s a prepayment meter.

I have no choice but pay.

When I agree to them being put in, it was because I was worried sick about owing them money and npower promised they would look into the debt once I was paying my way.

They lied and are now saying they have no records as it’s to old a debt. Thank you.

Just ask us! You are entitled to see the personal information that we hold about you at any time. (If you write to, email or phone us and ask to see this information, it is known as a ‘subject access request’ or ‘SAR’ for short) You can do so by:

• telephoning us on 0800 073 3000 (free from most landlines) or 0330 100 3000 (included in any 'inclusive minutes' from mobiles);
  • Contacting us through npower.com – Contact Customer Service and choose the “Other” option; or
  • writing to us at Data Protection SARs Team, npower, Rainton House, Hougton-Le-Spring, Cygnet Way, Sunderland, DH4 5QZ.

When we receive your request we will send you a form to fill in and you will have to pay a fee of £10. If you do not return the form or pay the £10 fee, we will not be able to deal with your request.

Get the request in today, start the ball rolling.

You need to exhaust their complaints procedure, which you have started yes?

Once they have had 8 weeks in which to satisfy the complaint, you can then escalate it to the energy ombudsman.

How much are they conning out of you on the pre payment meter?

Here is their last reply. Will leave out personal information. To be honest all their replies state the same thing. This letter was dated the 12th January 2018. They always say they have tried to contact me but they have absolutely never rang my phone.

Dear xxx

I’ve tried to contact you today to provide you with an update on your complaint about the outstanding debt on your account but unfortunately I was unable to reach you.

I would like to apologise that your expectations have not been met and for any inconvenience that this has caused you. I have completed my investigation and any actions I have taken are detailed below:

As previously stated we only retain customer records for a period of six years.

This is done in line with industry legislation ( the limitations act 1980 )

Therefore we would not be able to investigate this balance as it dates back to 2006.

That pretty much sums up the whole letter. And I can’t get any further than that.

They cannot tell me the original amount of the debt nor how much they added to the meter. How long I have been paying them. How they came to the figure they say I owed. When they put the prepayment meter in. They state they have no information whatsoever.

I am doing SAR today. I will start the official complaints process to.

Thank you again. I do really appreciate everyone’s replies.

So if that were to be true then they can only act on information from 2012...they can only back bill from the previous 12 months.

When does the back-billing principle apply?

Each case is looked at on its own merits; however, the 12 month limit for back-bills may apply in these examples when your supplier has:

Failed to bill you at all and you have requested bills from them

Billed you using estimated meter readings instead of valid readings provided by you or a meter reader

Billed you incorrectly by mixing up meter readings, and failed to act upon information available to put this right

Failed to do anything about a query or fault you have raised regarding your account or meter and subsequently allowed a large debt to build up on your account

Failed to reassess a payment arrangement (e.g. Direct Debit) within 15 months, or failed to reassess based on a reasonable estimate.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/who-contact-if-its-difficult-paying-energy-bills/energy-back-billing-your-rights

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Bazooka Boo viewpost-right.png

Just ask us! You are entitled to see the personal information that we hold about you at any time. (If you write to, email or phone us and ask to see this information, it is known as a ‘Subject access requestlink3.gif’ or ‘SAR’ for short) You can do so by:

• telephoning us on 0800 073 3000 (free from most landlines) or 0330 100 3000 (included in any 'inclusive minutes' from mobiles);
  • Contacting us through npower.com – Contact Customer Service and choose the “Other” option; or
  • writing to us at Data Protection SARs Team, npower, Rainton House, Hougton-Le-Spring, Cygnet Way, Sunderland, DH4 5QZ.

When we receive your request we will send you a form to fill in and you will have to pay a fee of £10. If you do not return the form or pay the £10 fee, we will not be able to deal with your request.

That's an interesting stance from N-Power considering that it is in direct contradiction with the ICO's view on forms for SARs:

Can I require individuals to use a specially designed form when making subject access requests?

No. Many organisations produce subject access request forms, and you may invite individuals to use such a form as long as you make it clear that this is not compulsory and you do not try to use this as a way of extending the 40-day time limit for responding. Standard forms can make it easier for you to recognise a subject access request and make it easier for the individual to include all the details you might need to locate the information they want.

However, any request in writing must be considered as a valid request, whatever the format.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...ccess-request/

Still, I suppose they will try anything to duck out of their responsibilities and hope no-one will notice.

Sorry, as I realise that this doesn't particularly help with the OP's dilemma but saw this and an alarm bell went off in my head and couldn't resist looking further.

Any pearls of wisdom that I give on the CAG forums is based on previous experiences and knowledge I have gained from being on these forums.

Yes that's all been gone over before, the time to complain will be when the OP submits the SAR.

And you can add to that the misinformation about WHY they keep documents, and it has NOTHING to do with DPA, it's to do with money laundering, have you ever contacted the CEO about this?

Seems like his staff don't know their left from right.

Thank you everyone. I have sent off the letter for SAR.

Can anyone help me with what to put in the letter of complaint please?

I don’t want to say the wrong thing and have them dismiss me further.

They seem to think that they are accurate in that they have no need to know any details on this debt.

Surely that can’t be so?? But I don’t know.

I’m just trying not to look like an idiot

Thanks again.

Simply lodge a formal complaint, with the express intent of escalating beyond their control.

Dear Bill & Ben,

Since dd/mm/yyyy I have been forced to pay for a debt, via prepayment meter, which I have disputed since dd/mm/yyyy.

Due to the time scales involved, and the apparent unwillingness to assist your customers, I would request a 'deadlock' letter so I am able to escalate this protracted complaint further.

I look forward to your timely response.

Regards.

• Haha 1

I have received two letters today. Both dated the 1st February 2018

Letter one states they have reopened my complaint, are looking into it and to make sure I keep paying them.

Letter two states exactly, word for word, the same as all previous letters. They cannot help me. They have no records. It’s all in line with industry legislation, the limitations act 1980.

This is in response to my letter of complaint.

My SAR request has not been acknowledged or actioned as far as I am aware.

They have not provided deadlock.

I genuinely feel like I’m going round in circles now.

Any help will be gratefully received and devoured. I’m becoming desperate.

Many thanks.

WHEN, did you submit your SAR?

Did you send it recorded delivery?

Don't forget they have 40 calendar days in which to furnish you with the SAR.

All they have done is to regurgitate standard responses, simply wait for the SAR.

Obviously you're still going to be paying them as they've shoved a PP meter in, try not to get too emotional about it, it isn't anything personal, the phone drones simply read what's put in front of them, and the computer spits out what it's told.

Thank you.

You’re absolutely right.

I was just feeling frustrated and annoyed.

I did need a reminder and kick up the bum.

So thank you.

SAR submitted 31st January and sent recorded delivery.

I wasn’t aware they had 40 days so grateful you pointed that out lest I’d be even more annoyed ��

As always I am incredibly grateful for the replies.

That's OK, quite often we forget it's nothing personal, I'm the worst one for that, always going off at them and taking it very personally.......have to remind myself on a daily basis!

Yes 40 calendar days for the SAR.

I'm simply guessing, that they've not escalated NOR read your complaints previously, so the ace up your sleeve is to allow them the time laid down in which they have to address and rectify your complaint (8 weeks) and then when they fail, armed with the info from the SAR, you hit the CEO with your findings, and if they don't rectify it, off to the energy ombudsman, and if they fail, then time to hit the media.

• 1 month later...

Well I’m back.

Npower have completely ignored my SAR and my complaint.

They have stated the exact same thing citing the limitations act and have also said I have not responded.

I have and I have proof as I replied to their email.

Honestly they are a shocking company.

So what now?

Do I contact ico in relation to the SAR?

Do I go to ofgem?

Can anyone tell me the law regarding keeping information on a debt.

I have been searching but I cannot find the link which enables them to hide all under this act?

Thanks again.

I would start with a complaint to the ICO regarding their failure to send out the info in the prescribed time.

The ICO will usually use a softly softly approach so make sure that you get a deadline from them for the release of the data so you know to go back to them if Npower still fail to send the stuff.

I have found the Energy Ombudsman fairly useless, they dont read or listen properly and believe any of guff the energy companies tell them even when provably false. A threat of a SAR to them to enable you to see what they have said to Npower may be fruitful. Ofgem dont really deal with individual complaints

Edited by dx100uk
spacing