style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2250 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone.

I was wondering if I might get a few pointers in regard to a tenancy agreement that we had with a previous landlord.

Three months into the agreement the landlord started texting daily asking for the rent.

he was quite abusive in these texts,

swearing and threatening to call at the property to get the keys unless payment was made immediately.

The payment from housing benefits had been adjusted and we were waiting for it to be sorted.

He has now actually had the backrent that was due.

We were a bit concerned for our safety if I'm honest and told him via text and a recorded delivery letter that we were giving him notice.

He texted back that yes unless we paid him by the weekend in full he was coming to get the keys and we could leave.

We left the property but have now started receiving texts from him saying we owe the remainder of the agreement.

Is this true.

After doing some reading surely he would have accepted our "surrender" of the property when he stated he would come and get the keys if we could not pay in full b the following weekend?

Many thanks

doesn't sound right to me...

if he has had the back rent via housing benefits

i'd poke him toward them..not your problem

little he can do now your out of his property

have you told HB dept this is going on?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

do you have the texts saved?

If he said that he agreed to ending tenancy on saturday then you owe rent up to that point

but if he just threatened to boot you out for not being up to date then that is just noise and the tenancy still exists.

He would be unwise to take them atter to court though so state your side of things so write to him and say somehting like you said you wanted us out by sat and we agreed to comply to this thus terminating the contract by mutual consent.

Therfore we do not owe any money for rent past this point.

... told him via text and a recorded delivery letter that we were giving him notice.

He texted back that yes unless we paid him by the weekend in full he was coming to get the keys and we could leave.

If you are wishing to leave in the middle of a tenancy then you have to be very careful about agreeing your continuing obligations to the landlord.

That would depend on precisely what he said, and not your interpretation of what he said.

Note that even if you have been wrong in leaving before the end of the tenancy, if he rents the property to someone else then that should absolve you of some of your responsibility to pay rent.