£4000 solicitor bill possibly fake

king12345
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, last year my father passed away.

While he was ill i spoke to him about two court cases he had opened against my advice but encouraged by reckless (gold diggers) solicitors.

He said he had paid all the solicitor bills when both cases were finalised at the end of 2016

(he lost both and paid what the court said).

Importantly,

my father never had mental heath issues and was one of the sharpest mind i ever encountered, all the way until the day he passed away.

These two solicitors from different firms did quite a lot of work for him in the past and never issued a receipt, all cash in hand.

Now, out of the blue i received a letter from one of them asking for £4000 for services related to one of the court cases.

I immediately suspected that she was testing the waters to see if we, the beneficiaries of his estate, pay up without much fuss so she could get the other solicitor (her friend) to send another bill, maybe a massive one.

I haven't done anything yet and i wanted to ask you caggers for any advice which will be much appreciated.

Thanks

If more than six months has passed since probate was granted and a notice had been posted in the Gazette, I'd say they are out of time to make any claim. If you have received this letter in the capacity of an executor of the estate, certainly challenge it and insist on a breakdown of costs and reasons as to why the invoice was not presented sooner.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

i had thought that such formal notice covers the executors from any personal liability. any subsequent claim would then need to be made against the estate.

please correct if that's wrong.

i had thought that such formal notice covers the executors from any personal liability. any subsequent claim would then need to be made against the estate.

Correct. A section 27 notice in the Gazette protects the executors. But if a solicitor has failed to pay heed to a notice, then it raises the bar should they seek to make a claim on the estate.

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Probate has not been finalised yet.

I'll ask for a breakdown of costs, but i know my dad paid her cash, he never lied, ever.

He was stubborn and didn't listen to my advice, but if he had not paid her he would have told me.

In his life he never had debts with anyone (apart from mortgage) so i really can't see him withholding payment and lie to me.

Also have a wee look through the SRA website (Are you a customer): https://www.sra.org.uk/home/home.page

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I looked through my father 's paperwork and found that this court case was heard and finalised in court on 22/02/2016.

My father paid the court and third party on the day and there's a receipt.

Then there's a note he wrote on the paperwork which says the solicitor name and £500 next to it.

No receipt for that.

Got to dig through his bank statements and see if just by luck he paid by bank transfer.

The more i look at this, the more i think she's trying it on.

Why would she wait almost 2 years to ask for payment only after the client passed away?

In the first instance, I would suggest responding to the solicitor in writing asking what the bill is for, requesting a breakdown and asking why it has taken 2 years for them to request payment.

Once you have more details you'll be in a better position to dispute the bill or to complain, if you need to.