o2 poor signal

Ryan91
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2221 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

'm having an ongoing fault with o2 in that the mast is down!

I first reported this issue on the 5th October.

Since then, I've had further updates on ;

12th October

18th October

25th October

1st November

14th November

28th November

12th December

10th January

23rd January

All these updates state that they are still looking into the issue and will be in touch soon. I was told to get back in touch today for an update and it's now going to be continuing for an unspecified amount of time

I have had my airtime credited for this month however complaints are unwilling to do anything as their terms state it's not a fault free service so if I want to go elsewhere I'll need to pay the fees.

I sympathise.

I've had poor O2 signal (indoors and outdoors, 1 bar out of 4, and only 3G) in central Birmingham where I work (and therefore spend the majority of the week) for about 3 years. I'm aware of three of my colleagues on O2 who have the same issues.

Don't expect a substantive response from them.

I complained only to be told something along the lines of "they cannot detect any issues so suggest switching my device on and off."

Hence I'll be leaving O2 as soon my contract is up. EE has good coverage here.

Is wi-fi calling a short term solution for you?.

O2 used to have the TuGo app, which worked well (and which forwarded texts as well as calls), but they did away with it (and WorldChat too), chipping away at reasons to stay with O2 .......

Interestingly, if I try and fire up the TuGo app, it seems that Telefonica (the parent of O2) are still using TuGo in South America ......

I feel your pain. I was suggesting wi-fi calling as stop-gap, until you can leave.

Vote with your feet as soon as you can (but are any of the big 4 any better?).

Increasingly, I am leaning towards:

a) using a MVNO on one of the big 4"s networks, rather than the host network itself (why pay extra for the big name / 'frills', if the customer service and offering is no better than the 'no-frills' version?),

b) using PAYG or a rolling one-month contract. If/when they have a problem and aren't sorting it, moving provider is easier.

I'm in the situation where O2's network works for me where I want to use the phone, but their tarrifs and poor customer service are the issue..... so it looks like giffgaff for me!.

SVillain, if O2's network is an issue for you (and for the OP too, then), giffgaff may not be a good fit for you, as they use O2's network.

I've had poor O2 signal (indoors and outdoors, 1 bar out of 4, and only 3G) in central Birmingham where I work (and therefore spend the majority of the week) for about 3 years. I'm aware of three of my colleagues on O2 who have the same issues.

Don't expect a substantive response from them.

I complained only to be told something along the lines of "they cannot detect any issues so suggest switching my device on and off."

Hence I'll be leaving O2 as soon my contract is up. EE has good coverage here.

You've put up with it for 3 years? You've probably had at least one contract renewal during that time, so did they promise you "don't worry, we are aware of the issues and will be fixing them soon"?

If EE has good coverage where you need it, consider a Plusnet mobile 30-day rolling contract. Using EE's network, they can offer better value than EE on a 30-day SIM only, and you aren't tied in if they become disappointing .....

I'm with 3, when they imporved the service and installed a 4G mast near me a few years ago. My good reception in my house with 3G became intermittent and I was missing calls, 4G never reached my house indoors either. I complained and they offered me their wifi app for calls. I complained again after using it as the quality was quite poor. They finally offered me a doofer to plug into my router which gives me a mobile signal in my house. This is brilliant and I have never looked back. Do O2 offer anything like this for you to use?

Edited by SoggyMoggy
spelling error

You've put up with it for 3 years? You've probably had at least one contract renewal during that time, so did they promise you "don't worry, we are aware of the issues and will be fixing them soon"?

If EE has good coverage where you need it, consider a Plusnet mobile 30-day rolling contract. Using EE's network, they can offer better value than EE on a 30-day SIM only, and you aren't tied in if they become disappointing .....

Yea renewed just over a year ago for another 2 year stint (mainly for the new phone - worked out cheaper after the freebies they threw in).

I assumed the poor reception was due to all the construction work going on around here. The reception got much worse in early 2016 when they started pulling down down a big 20+ floor building. So I assumed there was a mast on top and it would eventually be replaced elsewhere. But clearly I was wrong.

I get decent reception at home and generally when I'm out and about I don't tend to find places where I struggle. Just sods law that the one place where I spend a significant amount of time is the one where I do struggle to get signal!

But thanks for the plusnet tip, will keep that in mind.

I'm with 3, when they imporved the service and installed a 4G mast near me a few years ago. My good reception in my house with 3G became intermittent and I was missing calls, 4G never reached my house indoors either. I complained and they offered me their wifi app for calls. I complained again after using it as the quality was quite poor. They finally offered me a doofer to plug into my router which gives me a mobile signal in my house. This is brilliant and I have never looked back. Do O2 offer anything like this for you to use?

I’m assuming this is a femtocell (in effect “a tiny mobile phone mast” that your mobile connects to, that then uses your broadband connection to provide the “backhaul” to the mobile network operator’s system).

Vodafone call their SureSignal.

I didn’t know that 3 had this as an option (and previously, once operators have started having WiFi calling as an option they’ve often moved away from femtocells, due to the expense)

O2’s call their femtocell offering “BoostBox”.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/boostbox-guide

If a business feels the poor signal is affecting the business then they might want one. If SV and their colleagues are wanting it for their personal phones, would their employer want one attached to their broadband?

I'm not sure what it was called, "george" never told me the name, he just described what it did. It works in the way that you describe. I control who has access to it by calling customer services and adding/deleting numbers, only the numbers I have allowed will get access.

I knew they existed as my father got one for his house a few years prior, so when I tried the app and realised the quality was poor I decided to stomp my feet a bit with customer services to see if I could get one. They made great efforts to tell me it would cost £89, but they were giving it to me for free as I had been a customer for a few years. Nifty bit of kit.

I think SV might have a problem getting one installed at his work, unless they use O2 as their business provider.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure it's of any help and this post is months since, but before anyone signs a contract for a phone (new) they should always check coverag on the proposed network. I don't have a contract phone as the signal here is utter rubbish on any network, if was being charged each month for the privilege I'd be raving. Sim Cards are a £1, simply buy a selection of them from the main networks (as some like giffgaff use o2 etc) and stick them in your phone at the places you use it most, you'll soon find out what is good and what isn't and not for much money, at least that way when you're about to jump into bed with an Airtime Provider you'll have a general idea as to what to expect.

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

I'm not sure it's of any help and this post is months since, but before anyone signs a contract for a phone (new) they should always check coverag on the proposed network. I don't have a contract phone as the signal here is utter rubbish on any network, if was being charged each month for the privilege I'd be raving. Sim Cards are a £1, simply buy a selection of them from the main networks (as some like giffgaff use o2 etc) and stick them in your phone at the places you use it most, you'll soon find out what is good and what isn't and not for much money, at least that way when you're about to jump into bed with an Airtime Provider you'll have a general idea as to what to expect.

That is sensible advice.

It just won't help in the OP's situation where they did have service and then a mast went down .......

'm having an ongoing fault with o2 in that the mast is down!

I first reported this issue on the 5th October.

All these updates state that they are still looking into the issue and will be in touch soon.

I have had my airtime credited for this month however complaints are unwilling to do anything as their terms state it's not a fault free service so if I want to go elsewhere I'll need to pay the fees.

Indeed, I would have thought the Op would not be the only one struggling for a signal on that particular mast but maybe they're the only one complaining, more complaints would help, chat to neighbours, put a note in the local post office etc...

One other point would be to visit the 02 forums and start playing your face in there? Same with their twitter feed etc and if you can find a way in phone their Executive Relations team and keep on badgering them.

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

Chief Executive: Mr Mark Evans

Address:

260 Bath Road

Slough

Berkshire

SL1 4DX

Email: [email protected]

ceoemail: https://www.ceoemail.com/

Ofcom links:

Mobile phone service faults and problems: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/problems/mobile-faults-guide

Improving your mobile phone reception: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/improving-mobile-phone-reception

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group