HASTINGS DIRECT Losing no claims when not my fault

mpod001
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2281 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

2 days ago I was the victim of a crime in my local town.

There was an armed robbery in one of our local shops where thankfully nobody was hurt.

The getaway car that the robbers used was dumped in a back street where I live and set it on fire.

Unfortunately for me, the car was dumped beside where my car was safely and securely parked

as a result of the heat from the enormous blaze,

the back end of my car has been damaged.

The plastics covering the bumper, lights and badge on my boot were all melted and cracked and my boot door was all discoloured.

It's a wonder that it survived the fire at all really what with the size of the fire.

I contacted Hastings Direct as I have my insurance policy with them (Hastings Premier - not so premier if you ask me)

who told me that even though my no claims bonus was protected in cases of vandalism,

I was going to lose my no claims bonus.

After hours on the phone and being sent from pillar to post,

I finally reached a competent member of staff who assured me that it would be noted on my account that I was NOT at fault,

but that I would definitely lose my no claims.

What is this about?

It is ridiculous!

I am not at fault!

This was all reported to the police and I have a crime reference number which was given to Hastings Direct,

along with numerous photos of the car damaged,

and the firemen putting out the fire.

The firemen filed a report, as did the police!

Can anyone offer me any advice at all please?

I am at my witts end and feel like I am treated very unfairly!

Unfortunately that's right unless your policy stares a no loss if hit or damaged by an uninsured.

I'm presuming the criminals or at least the driver had stolen the vehicle.

To qualify for that you normally need the name of driver, car reg etc.

But this is one of the reasons you have insurance. To protect your things from situations outside of your control.

If you were that bothered about protecting your no-claims, you could of.

This is my first year of driving and I was only getting my first year of no claims in April!

I sent a photo in of the car registration plate of the car set on fire and Hastings are going down that line! But I still don't understand why I will lose my no claims if they can claim from elsewhere?

i don't think they can reclaim from the third party, as a criminal act was involved.

If this were not the case, then say for example a stolen car caused multi-million damage to property,

then the Insurers of the stolen car would be required to foot the loss,

even though their policyholder had nothing to do with it.

Of course if the policyholder or named driver on that policy were involved in the criminal act it might be a different argument.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Is it a “no claims bonus” or a “no blame bonus”.

Are you making a claim? (Albeit a no-fault claim...)

It may be unfair (& I’d be annoyed too), but it is still “does what it says on the tin”.